The major Hobie Anouncement was....All new Outback!

This is the main discussion forum for all general topics relating to kayaking or fishing.
yakkingbrendon
Local
Kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 12 and Hobie Revolution 13

The major Hobie Anouncement was....All new Outback!

Post by yakkingbrendon » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:23 am

Major redesign of the Outback .
Heaps of Pro Angler features added such as the rudder .
https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-outback/

Interesting....
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 12 , Hobie Revolution 13 , https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

robwho
Local
Kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: The major Hobie Anouncement was....All new Outback!

Post by robwho » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:26 am

I am not sure if the rudder is a plus or a minus. It may or may not work better but more complex to maintain? The PA style rudder also sacrifices the rear hatch where my outback has my sounder battery.

Not sure if the front hatch is same, it looks smaller in the illustration

The new bow should be quieter without wave slap trapped under the bow knuckle. Probably better heading into chop as well with lesser slamming

The rest of the changes looks good though the more sophisticated fittings may bump the price a bit.

Was considering upgrading my 2011 model Outback to a current model or PA13 to get the vantage seat and a bit more speed. This new outback may make me reconsider outback if it is similar price even though is about 3-4kg heavier than my current model.
Robert White Hobie Outback

robwho
Local
Kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by robwho » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:32 am

I am not sure if the rudder is a plus or a minus. It may or may not work better but more complex to maintain? The PA style rudder also sacrifices the rear hatch where my outback has my sounder battery.

Not sure if the front hatch is same, it looks smaller in the illustration

The new bow should be quieter without wave slap trapped under the bow knuckle. Probably better heading into chop as well with lesser slamming

The rest of the changes looks good though the more sophisticated fittings may bump the price a bit.

Was considering upgrading my 2011 model Outback to a current model or PA13 to get the vantage seat and a bit more speed. This new outback may make me reconsider outback if it is similar price even though is about 3-4kg heavier than my current model.
Robert White Hobie Outback

BBY
Frother
Location: Half way up the pointy bit, where it goes "doonk" and in a bit.
Kayak:

Post by BBY » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:46 pm

Hmmm.....first thoughts are complexity and price.

More things to break/maintain. Having said that, I'm still old school and have no experience with the seat or PA type rudder. The stand-up stability will be welcome by some, I hate standing to retrieve lures from trees in my current outback even though I always do it. How many rocks or sand bank strikes will that new drive handle? The old one was a case of pull the drive out, use some muscle to straigten the rods, good enough till you get home.

I reckon I'd probably buy one though, anyone wanting something faster, sportier, with "longer legs" will be looking at a different kayak. For estuary fishing I think the outback is the bomb.

bertros
Legend
Kayak: Revo 13 + AI

Post by bertros » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:57 pm

Think you nailed the synopsis Con. Great looking estuary or lake boat if you don’t want the PA. The Revo / old Adventure is still more practical for offshore usage. The newer seat is very attractive to save sitting in a puddle of water either way and whatever the model.
Yak PB's: Australian Salmon - 70cm; Bream - 40cm; Bonito - 51cm; Estuary Perch - 32.5cm; Flathead - 57cm; Groper - 50cm; Kingfish - 108cm; Snapper - 60cm; Spotted Mack - 110cm; Squid (hood) - 34cm; Tailor - 50cm; Silver Trevally - 41cm; Whiting - 39cm