It must be time.

This is the main discussion forum for all general topics relating to kayaking or fishing.
Alby
Kayak: Adventure island

It must be time.

Post by Alby » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:50 pm

It's been over a year since I was out on my AI, and then it was only once since we lost our son 4 years ago in a tragic accident.
I lost all motivation for anything after that. Since then our family has had a series of tragedies. Lost our dear 19 year old niece to leukemia just over a year ago, and our 20 year old grandson to suicide about 6 months ago. So grief has had our family in it's grip for a while now......and it's so much harder when it involves losing children.
Everyone handles grief in different ways. For me, I think I'm finally in the stage of acceptance, and determined to get on with life in a positive way.
I retired recently (which may have been the trigger) and thought I'd be back out on the water 3 times a week.......that was the plan. How many times have I been out......zip!
Retirement is so damn busy! I remember my dad said after a year or so of retirement that he wondered how he ever had time to go to work. It's true.

I dropped into my old work yesterday and the guys there are all keen boat fishermen. They baited ;) me with their stories of recent trips. Especially the one about lots of school mackerel being caught in the Bribie Passage (not far from home).
So, with our perfect Queensland winter days here and the fact that every day is now Saturday........ I gotta do it.
The AI has been waiting patiently in the shed.....Such a good girl.
Alby :)

Funchy
Barfly
Kayak: Hobie Revo 16 and Perception Ssshhhaawwwwiiiiiiing

Re: It must be time.

Post by Funchy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:22 pm

Good luck mate. Sounds like you've had a tough run. Hope it is behind you now and you can enjoy your retirement. Don't forget a trip report so those of us still stuck in the 9 to 5 grind have something to keep us occupied during the long boring working hours ha!

Alby
Kayak: Adventure island

Post by Alby » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:57 pm

Will do. :-)

Anselmo
Legend
Location: Dublin Ireland = formerly Bris-Vegas. #5568@ now #7
Kayak: 1995 Perception Minnow

Post by Anselmo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Funchy wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:22 pm
Good luck mate. Sounds like you've had a tough run. Hope it is behind you now and you can enjoy your retirement. Don't forget a trip report so those of us still stuck in the 9 to 5 grind have something to keep us occupied during the long boring working hours ha!
You only work 9 to 5 Funchy?
How do I get a gig like that? ;-)

Best of luck Alby
Hope you find some solace, peace AND fish out on the water

bertros
Legend
Kayak: Revo 13 + AI

Post by bertros » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Good stuff Alby, and sorry to hear about all the testing stuff in your life recently.

I'm racking up so many jobs on the to-do list around the house that i'm sure i'll be working through them for the first twenty odd years of retirement and still not make a dent. Still, if you can make time to get on the water, then there's always hope to press on.
Yak PB's: Australian Salmon - 70cm; Bream - 40cm; Bonito - 62cm; cobia - 81cm; Estuary Perch - 32.5cm; Flathead - 57cm; Groper - 50cm; Kingfish - 108cm; Mulloway - 130cm; Snapper - 60cm; Spotted Mack - 110cm; Squid (hood) - 34cm; Tailor - 50cm; Silver Trevally - 41cm; Whiting - 39cm

Indiedog
Legend
Kayak: PF475 BFS

Post by Indiedog » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:31 pm

Hey Alby, it's been a while. So sorry to hear of what's been going on in your life for the last few years or more, that's indeed a heavy load for one family to have to go through. Salt water has healing properties, we all know that. Get on it.

Great to see you on here again too. :D
I caught a hairtail. Weird looking phucker.

http://www.arcoeco.com.au

Funchy
Barfly
Kayak: Hobie Revo 16 and Perception Ssshhhaawwwwiiiiiiing

Post by Funchy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:44 am

Anselmo wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:45 pm
Funchy wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:22 pm
You only work 9 to 5 Funchy?
How do I get a gig like that? ;-)

I wish Nick. It was a figure of speech. Been here in the office since 5am :(

andybear
Kayak: Evo 465

Post by andybear » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi mate,
I reckon you are dead right.....its time! Sorry to hear about all those bad things that have happened.
I take your post as inspiration to get myself back out on the water...not done much since having eye trouble for a couple of years now. As for the AI, I haven't used it in perhaps 4 years, and am feeling guilty about hanging on to it. Such trips as I have done have all been in the EVO.
Hope the retirement turns out better from now on, and let your reel scream the good scream (not the one where the rusty bearings smoke and melt)

Cheers andybear
When in trouble, delegate. When in doubt, mumble!