Fishmonger / Deli / Supermarket etc prawns banned as bait in NSW

This is the main discussion forum for all general topics relating to kayaking or fishing.
robwho
Local
Kayak: Hobie Outback

Fishmonger / Deli / Supermarket etc prawns banned as bait in NSW

Post by robwho » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:29 am

I received an email 'Newscast' update from NSW DPI a few days ago that says that "Do not use prawns meant for human consumption as bait." I am not sure if this is a new rule, but this makes sense as out of area imported prawns would definitely be a risk of spreading disease.
CALL TO ACTION FOR ALL RECREATIONAL FISHERS - WE NEED YOUR HELP!
What you put on your hook might not seem like a big deal, but to our native species and everyone who likes to have access to quality local crustaceans, such as prawns and yabbies; it could be just the difference they need.

Putting the wrong bait on your hook could also hit you in the hip pocket - not just in availability of affordable local seafood, but also potentially in fines.

Whether wetting a line in inland waterways, or along the coast:
Do not use prawns meant for human consumption as bait.
Do not dispose of waste from purchased seafood in our waterways.
It is illegal to bring into NSW uncooked crustaceans (such as prawns, yabbies or saltwater nippers) or marine worms from the area in South East Queensland affected by White Spot. HEAVY PENALTIES APPLY
As of 1 July 2017, everyone now has a general biosecurity duty under the Biosecurity Act 2015, to help prevent the spread of pests and diseases.
Robert White Hobie Outback

FishnDive
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth PF525_Fisha 460_Toura 17_Pinnacle Elite

Re: Fishmonger / Deli / Supermarket etc prawns banned as bait in NSW

Post by FishnDive » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:24 am

We've had a similar ban in place in Vic since Feb of this year for the same reasons.
Eoin (Owen)

robsea
Kayak: Hobie and Australis

Post by robsea » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:16 pm

Thanks for the post.

HenryR
Kayak: a little sit-in that goes anywhere I will

Post by HenryR » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:23 am

is the ban on cooked and uncooked prawns, or just uncooked ? More importantly, I suppose, is the risk from both cooked and uncooked prawns ??

Dodge
Frother
Kayak: Perception Swing + Pacer

Post by Dodge » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:43 pm

HenryR wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:23 am
is the ban on cooked and uncooked prawns, or just uncooked ? More importantly, I suppose, is the risk from both cooked and uncooked prawns ??
Bans only apply to uncooked prawns. Once cooked white spot risk is gone from the prawns, see the red highlight in regs quoted below
It is illegal to bring into NSW uncooked crustaceans (such as prawns, yabbies or saltwater nippers) or marine worms from the area in South East Queensland affected by White Spot. HEAVY PENALTIES APPLY
cheers RICHO

Kayaks: Perception Swing 400 ..... carves Anon timber lures.
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, but on others the statue.

HenryR
Kayak: a little sit-in that goes anywhere I will

Post by HenryR » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:57 am

Dodge wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:43 pm
Bans only apply to uncooked prawns. Once cooked white spot risk is gone from the prawns, see the red highlight in regs quoted below
thanks Dodge

cheaterparts
Local
Kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 OK Prowler 4-3

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:29 am

robwho wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:29 am
I received an email 'Newscast' update from NSW DPI a few days ago that says that "Do not use prawns meant for human consumption as bait." I am not sure if this is a new rule, but this makes sense as out of area imported prawns would definitely be a risk of spreading disease.

I rang Vic Fisheries recently to see if the bans were still in place and to point out the Banana prawn is mainly wild caught and well out of the infected areas and was told that there was no proof that the prawn was wild caught and could have come from farmed stock , So the ban was still in force

A few of us are now using Mantis Shrimp also food grade from the fish market - these going by fisheries Vic are OK as they are ment to be wild caught and not farmed

Prawn has been the main bait I and many have used for years for Gummy Shark , Snapper < K.G. Whiting and many other species so has been a pain not having bait
hopefully for us the Mantis Shrimp maybe saving us down south in the bait stakes and might be worth checking out for your selves

just a heads up sp far the price range for M/Shrimp down here has been between $ 12 and $ 17 per Kg much the same as prawn