What peddle system

This is the main discussion forum for all general topics relating to kayaking or fishing.
GROB
Kayak: Tarpon120

What peddle system

Post by GROB » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Looking for some help , Am looking to up grade the tarpon 120 and would like to know if any one , has tried/used both systems
And which system they prefer and why- hobbi drive or the peddle drive .
Cheers Rob

BBY
Frother
Location: Half way up the pointy bit, where it goes "doonk" and in a bit.
Kayak:

Re: What peddle system

Post by BBY » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Should be plenty of info on the hobie system, been out for years, up to 3rd version now I think with slight tweaks each time. Proven, has it's pros and cons like anything. Main con I can think of is hitting unexpected submerged objects and bending the rods that the fins mount on. The pros are everything else. I'm.biased because I have a hobie and havent tried the other.

Dodge
Frother
Kayak: Perception Swing + Pacer

Post by Dodge » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:09 am

Rob am only a paddler myself [and often use a leccy motor] but have fished alongside both styles of pedal yaks many times, and have also had a test go of both types of pedalies.

On the water seen the Mirage Drive in Hobie Outback, Revo, and Adventure .... and in propeller yaks Native, and Pedalfish, the last one is no longer sold.

While the Hobie mirage drive is very popular and most used, reckon if was I buying one it would be the propeller version.

While both are roughly on a par with one another performance wise, I like the fact with prop drive you can hit a snag or snag bank and the leg just tilts clear with the skeg taking the hit, and once down again you just resume pedalling again. also think instant reverse can be helpful on occasion with reverse pedalling.

So buying new I would grab a prop drive, but if buying second hand if the deal is good both styles will be enjoyable.
Last edited by Dodge on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers RICHO

Kayaks: Perception Swing 400 ..... carves Anon timber lures.
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, but on others the statue.

GROB

Post by GROB » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:19 pm

Thanks dodge , that does help and the piece about snags makes a lot of sense, I know hobbi now have reverse but I think the prop ones would have less moving parts as well Am looking at the new wilderness system Radar 13.5
Cheers Rob
Last edited by GROB on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bradv
Kayak: FeelFree Nomad, Feelfree TriYak

Post by Bradv » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:31 pm

I reckon the FeelFree Overdrive hybrid pedal / motor drive is a pretty awesome piece of kit ... especially when fitted to one of their new offshore Dagon kayaks. I'd love to see both in action myself 8-)

But here's the latest Overdrive fited to their upcoming flatwater Dorado kayak:
Brad

Yak PB's - Reef shark ~1m; Shark Mackerel 65cm; Flathead 60cm; Spotted Mackerel 57cm; Flowery Cod 50cm; Estuary Cod 50cm; Barred Grunter 50cm; Snapper 44cm; Tailor 43cm; School Mackerel 43cm; Flounder 33cm; Leaping Bonito 33cm; Whiting 30cm, Australian Bass 30cm, Sweetlip 29cm, Bream 28cm

GROB

Post by GROB » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Thanks brad ,interesting couple of videos there, looks like hobbi's reversing system has cable issues ,will keep that in mind
Cheers Rob

aussieDave
Barfly
Kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by aussieDave » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi Grob,

I have the old (non-reverse) Hobie Mirage drive and I love it, there is pros and cons though.

As mentioned earlier the Mirage Drive, unless you get one of the new ones, has no reverse so it can be a bit of a pain in creeks. There is times when I need to use my paddle, I think this is really the only con I can see with the Mirage Drive.

I mainly use my yak in the bays or offshore where there is plenty of room to turn around so reverse is not an issue.

I have a bad back and I'm not sure that moving my feet in circles would be as easy as I find the Mirage Drive as with the Mirage Drive it's more of a straighten one leg then the other type motion. On Tuna days I have pedaled about 45kms in a session which is an 8 hour stint and I can still walk after which is obviously a good thing.

Depth wise the Hobie has some limitations as Hobie kayaks have a fairly deep draft but by working just the end of the pedal strokes you can propel yourself with only an inch of clearance. I would imagine with the prop type propulsion your prop would be on a sharp angle and not very efficient in the same depth.

In SA there has been some talk about whether or not the fins of the Mirage drive appear to GWS's like the fins of a fish/whale, there is also the fact that screw props on boats seem to irritate GWS's and become their target. I think it's best to use a Shark Shield when in waters where GWS's are around regardless.

I have bent a drive shaft once, I hit a submerged rock at low tide. This was an easy five minute fix though once I got to my tools, I just had to straighten the shaft, loosen the fin and slide the shaft back in and do everything back up. I reckon Shane would of been able to fix this on the water but I'm not as organised as he is.

I have an older Hobie Outback and have used it to fish mangrove creeks, bays and offshore, it has proven a fantastic allrounder, the SUV of kayaks.

Some food for thought mate,

Dave
89.5cm. Snapper, 45cm. Salmon (Bream rod, 6lb line), 80cm. Mulloway, 10kg Southern Bluefin Tuna, 90cm Spotted Mackerel, Black Tip Reef Shark, 40cm Mackerel Tuna (spaghetti bait rod)

GROB

Post by GROB » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Thanks Dave , as my last post the new hobbi reverse system has cable issues and yes the prop drive does need more depth , both have good and bad points , I'll carry on researching them both , due to the cost of them , I need to get it right the first time.
Cheers Rob

Fishane
Frother
Kayak: PA14 AI and Quest

Post by Fishane » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:41 pm

If buying new the latest version of the reverse mirage drive has much stronger cables on the reverse mechanism. But really reverse is mainly a must have if fishing in tight water a lot around snags etc.

The hobie mirage drive is by no means bullet proof but is well proven. The propeller pedal systems have their issues too and there are some very cheap versions coming on the market so beware.

My main advice would be to get on the water with each for as long as you can and work out what's best for you. You also need to consider the design of the yak itself and what you want to use it for. Hobie have a wide range of models that each have strengths and weaknesses. Similar the Slayers etc won't be suited to some applications. So you need to assess the drive system and also what yak it goes with.

GROB

Post by GROB » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi fishane ,am looking at the new wilderness system's RADAR 13.5 , I've had a tarpon 120 for 6 years and find the quality right up there , and very happy with it , just looking to up grade to peddle power .
Cheers Rob

BBY
Frother
Location: Half way up the pointy bit, where it goes "doonk" and in a bit.
Kayak:

Post by BBY » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:02 am

Fishane wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:41 pm
But really reverse is mainly a must have if fishing in tight water a lot around snags etc.
That's the type of fishing I do (used to do!) and seemed to adapt to not having reverse. Having said that, if it was available I'm sure I would have used it.

GROB

Post by GROB » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:59 am

Had a peddle of a hobbi last week , and a peddle of the new Wilderness System Radar yesterday, was very impressed with the radar and have ordered one ,should have it in a week or two, then the fun begins setting it up .
Thanks to everyone for their input
Cheers Rob