Disgraceful behaviour

This is the main discussion forum for all general topics relating to kayaking or fishing.
Post Reply
User avatar
Zilch
Frother
Posts: 1635
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:01 pm
Location: Adelaide , SA
Kayak: Dune Hobie Outback

Disgraceful behaviour

Post by Zilch » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:44 pm

Yep we need Pro Fishermen but this type of behaviour isn't helping them.

Gear failure or pure greed :?:
https://www.facebook.com/fishingandboat ... 037807475/

SA's local daily paper has a poll re whether netting should be banned in Adelaide's metro Gulf St Vincent.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 5ad065b81d

Steve
KISS ; keep it simple steve
Even the the fish don't know where my secret fishing spots are !

User avatar
aussieDave
Barfly
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:48 am
Location: Adelaide
Kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: Disgraceful behaviour

Post by aussieDave » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:52 am

Shocking isn't it Steve.

Right in the tourism town of Ardrossan too, selfish bas..., in school holidays too.

It looks like more than 400 fish too at 1kg each it's more than 400kg of fish.

His claim that he had done nothing wrong doesn't stack up, he claims he wasn't too close to the jetty (the rules say he's not allowed within 300m) but he snagged the jetty??? PIRSA should throw the book at this guy.

I voted yesterday on the poll in the second link, at that time the count was 92% in favour of banning nets in the gulfs. Have a say guys, especially you South Aussies, you're stakeholders in our fishery.

Dave
89.5cm. Snapper, 45cm. Salmon (Bream rod, 6lb line), 80cm. Mulloway, 10kg Southern Bluefin Tuna, 90cm Spotted Mackerel, Black Tip Reef Shark, 40cm Mackerel Tuna (spaghetti bait rod)

User avatar
Zilch
Frother
Posts: 1635
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:01 pm
Location: Adelaide , SA
Kayak: Dune Hobie Outback

Re: Disgraceful behaviour

Post by Zilch » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:34 pm

aussieDave wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:52 am
His claim that he had done nothing wrong doesn't stack up, he claims he wasn't too close to the jetty (the rules say he's not allowed within 300m) but he snagged the jetty???
Dave agree the original posted version doesn't add up but now there are a couple of other versions i.e.
a) it was his brother (hmm that too doesn't make sense as I always though the guy that owned the licence had to be on-board the boat)
b) he didn't catch the fish near the jetty (hmm why then are they all around the jetty, must be a coincident that the tide brought them there, still nicely bunched up and not spread out over much of a area).
c) he simply dumped them and there was no gear failure (hmm could be a possibility, as you would think if the gear failed [holed net or alike] then nearly all of them would of simply escaped and swum off i.e. not died).

Another story doing the rounds today is supposedly he isn't liked by all the other local pro fishers, as he has caused them grief before.

If on the off chance he hasn't technically broken any law and as such doesn't get punished I hope at least the facts of how this happened come out i.e. no "fake news".

I don't do FB but like you Dave I hope the link gets shared or even goes viral and people do get off the arse and vote. IMHO the daily media (paper or TV) would have more clout than RecFish SA simply raising the matter.

Steve
KISS ; keep it simple steve
Even the the fish don't know where my secret fishing spots are !

User avatar
aussieDave
Barfly
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:48 am
Location: Adelaide
Kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: Disgraceful behaviour

Post by aussieDave » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:00 pm

Zilch wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:34 pm
...
The story has been on the Nine News, in the Advertiser and on ABC radio.

I know it's all over my other fishing website about Fishin SA and I've heard it's on all other local fishing sites and facebook fishing groups.

The bottom line is the Pros give handsome donations to both major parties and both major parties would rather our fish be sold overseas and interstate than have a healthy rec fishing scene and the resulting tourism and strong regional economies.

In the lead up to the election we should be trying to get this as much exposure as we can if we want "our grandchildren to be able to catch a fish" Leon Bignell (SA Minister for Primary Resources, Sports and Recreation and Tourism).

Dave
89.5cm. Snapper, 45cm. Salmon (Bream rod, 6lb line), 80cm. Mulloway, 10kg Southern Bluefin Tuna, 90cm Spotted Mackerel, Black Tip Reef Shark, 40cm Mackerel Tuna (spaghetti bait rod)

User avatar
Zilch
Frother
Posts: 1635
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:01 pm
Location: Adelaide , SA
Kayak: Dune Hobie Outback

Re: Disgraceful behaviour

Post by Zilch » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:29 pm

aussieDave wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:00 pm
The story has been on the Nine News, in the Advertiser and on ABC radio.

I know it's all over my other fishing website about Fishin SA and I've heard it's on all other local fishing sites and facebook fishing groups.
Good to know Dave but it's disappointing that presently only around 3,000 people have bothered to have a say/vote.
I'm a member on the (SA) Strike and Hook fishing forum but I seldom visit it i.e. I'm happy to get my fishing fix here and on our club forum.

A guy I know works at SARDI and I intend to ask him if he can shed some facts on the matter but I'll have to wait, as I think he is away next week doing fisheries research.

Steve
KISS ; keep it simple steve
Even the the fish don't know where my secret fishing spots are !

User avatar
aussieDave
Barfly
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:48 am
Location: Adelaide
Kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: Disgraceful behaviour

Post by aussieDave » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:50 pm

Zilch wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:29 pm
aussieDave wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:00 pm
The story has been on the Nine News, in the Advertiser and on ABC radio.

I know it's all over my other fishing website about Fishin SA and I've heard it's on all other local fishing sites and facebook fishing groups.
Good to know Dave but it's disappointing that presently only around 3,000 people have bothered to have a say/vote.
I'm a member on the (SA) Strike and Hook fishing forum but I seldom visit it i.e. I'm happy to get my fishing fix here and on our club forum.

A guy I know works at SARDI and I intend to ask him if he can shed some facts on the matter but I'll have to wait, as I think he is away next week doing fisheries research.

Steve
It is disappointing Aussies are so apathetic when it comes to politics.

I know SAFA is all over this.

I think that website is dead Steve, I find threads from there all the time when doing my research and the latest I can recall seeing is 2012. The one I said is probably the most popular SA one now.

It would be interesting to know what SARDI think although I don't really think it has much to do with them. Looking at the research PIRSA put up to support their very weak arguments it looks like there is very little research done. Unless there is current SARDI research but it shows that our fishery is being over-fished which doesn't support PIRSA's will to increase Pro fishing efforts / seafood exports.

Dave
89.5cm. Snapper, 45cm. Salmon (Bream rod, 6lb line), 80cm. Mulloway, 10kg Southern Bluefin Tuna, 90cm Spotted Mackerel, Black Tip Reef Shark, 40cm Mackerel Tuna (spaghetti bait rod)

User avatar
Zilch
Frother
Posts: 1635
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:01 pm
Location: Adelaide , SA
Kayak: Dune Hobie Outback

Re: Disgraceful behaviour

Post by Zilch » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:12 pm

aussieDave wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:50 pm
It is disappointing Aussies are so apathetic when it comes to politics.
Yep but I can understand as it's next to impossible to separate the facts from the bullshit i.e. a bit like our 2 major parties putting spin on everything and never answering the simplest of questions with a clear short answer.
aussieDave wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:50 pm
I know SAFA is all over this.
That's the problem Dave we have separate groups who say they represent SA anglers instead of having one body representing us i.e. I'm not saying that should be RecFish SA or whoever. Dave I was invited and attended a national 2 day fishing forum (same forum was held in each state) about 4 years ago which had representatives from the commercial scale fish sector, commercial Rock Lobster sector, charter operators, fishing club representatives and the then head of SA PIRSA was there for about half the time. I remember him clearing stating until the rec fishers have one voice they will never have the same influence on government policy as the various pro groups have. Dave at a open public Fisheries consultation at Glenelg (can't remember the name of the hotel) around 2 or 3 years ago a loud mouth guy who obviously knew a lot couldn't put his point of view over well (very abrupt, poor public communication skills) and was told by nearly all of the public attendees to shut up and sit down on two occasions i.e. including by Shane Mensforth who was in attendance. I was later led to believe he was the head of RecFish Central but I don't no for certainty.
aussieDave wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:50 pm
I think that website is dead Steve, I find threads from there all the time when doing my research and the latest I can recall seeing is 2012. The one I said is probably the most popular SA one now.
Dave I know both of those site (Fishing SA & Strike and Hook) claim to be the biggest and or best fishing forum in SA (i.e. bit like the 2 so called rec fish bodies that bicker amongst themselves re who is SA's best representative body). I just went on S&H and they too are all over the topic and they still seem to tick over reasonably well, albeit like all forums the actively level is well down from a couple of years ago. One of the members here is a moderator on S&H and is a member of SAFWAA that's why I joined S&H.
aussieDave wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:50 pm
It would be interesting to know what SARDI think although I don't really think it has much to do with them. Looking at the research PIRSA put up to support their very weak arguments it looks like there is very little research done. Unless there is current SARDI research but it shows that our fishery is being over-fished which doesn't support PIRSA's will to increase Pro fishing efforts / seafood exports.
Agree re it's outside of SARDI responsibility but what I should of said, he would have more factually info re both departments are based together thus he normally is able to get "factual" info. I certainly wouldn't stick up for either department as I'm like others don't know the inner workings or the politics in both departments but I've previously been told that SARDI and Fisheries pass on their reports/research to PIRSA who then put their interpretation on it, then they pass it onto the relevant minister who them puts the final government spin on it, thus SARDI's employees sometimes get frustrated like we do re the final report or policy that gets put out to the public. I'm not sure how relevant any of SARDI's research is but I hope it is (i.e. hopefully they're not just doing it to justify their jobs). I know they still do a fair bit though i.e. over the last 2 months I've bumped into my contact; A) he was netting undersize Whiting (they have ministerial exemption) at St Kilda for some ongoing research programme B) I was fishing the "Bubbler" at Pelican Point and he was on the section bank doing another research programme.

Steve
KISS ; keep it simple steve
Even the the fish don't know where my secret fishing spots are !

User avatar
aussieDave
Barfly
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:48 am
Location: Adelaide
Kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: Disgraceful behaviour

Post by aussieDave » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:46 am

Zilch wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:12 pm
aussieDave wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:50 pm
I know SAFA is all over this.
That's the problem Dave we have separate groups who say they represent SA anglers instead of having one body representing us i.e. I'm not saying that should be RecFish SA or whoever. Dave I was invited and attended a national 2 day fishing forum (same forum was held in each state) about 4 years ago which had representatives from the commercial scale fish sector, commercial Rock Lobster sector, charter operators, fishing club representatives and the then head of SA PIRSA was there for about half the time. I remember him clearing stating until the rec fishers have one voice they will never have the same influence on government policy as the various pro groups have. Dave at a open public Fisheries consultation at Glenelg (can't remember the name of the hotel) around 2 or 3 years ago a loud mouth guy who obviously knew a lot couldn't put his point of view over well (very abrupt, poor public communication skills) and was told by nearly all of the public attendees to shut up and sit down on two occasions i.e. including by Shane Mensforth who was in attendance. I was later led to believe he was the head of RecFish Central but I don't no for certainty.
I agree not having one group to represent the recreational fishing industry is frustrating, it should represent the rec fishers, tackle/boat stores and regional tourism/chambers of commerce.

Unfortunately as with wRecFishSA it was a problem for rec fishers and set up by government in an attempt to control the argument and actually dis-empower rec fishers.

We need representation that is not paid for by vested interests (i.e. state gov / PIRSA) except the vested interests of rec fishers and the rec fishing industry.
Zilch wrote:
aussieDave wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:50 pm
I think that website is dead Steve, I find threads from there all the time when doing my research and the latest I can recall seeing is 2012. The one I said is probably the most popular SA one now.
Dave I know both of those site (Fishing SA & Strike and Hook) claim to be the biggest and or best fishing forum in SA (i.e. bit like the 2 so called rec fish bodies that bicker amongst themselves re who is SA's best representative body). I just went on S&H and they too are all over the topic and they still seem to tick over reasonably well, albeit like all forums the actively level is well down from a couple of years ago. One of the members here is a moderator on S&H and is a member of SAFWAA that's why I joined S&H.
That's good to know I'll have to join up if it's still running.
Zilch wrote:
aussieDave wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:50 pm
It would be interesting to know what SARDI think although I don't really think it has much to do with them. Looking at the research PIRSA put up to support their very weak arguments it looks like there is very little research done. Unless there is current SARDI research but it shows that our fishery is being over-fished which doesn't support PIRSA's will to increase Pro fishing efforts / seafood exports.
Agree re it's outside of SARDI responsibility but what I should of said, he would have more factually info re both departments are based together thus he normally is able to get "factual" info. I certainly wouldn't stick up for either department as I'm like others don't know the inner workings or the politics in both departments but I've previously been told that SARDI and Fisheries pass on their reports/research to PIRSA who then put their interpretation on it, then they pass it onto the relevant minister who them puts the final government spin on it, thus SARDI's employees sometimes get frustrated like we do re the final report or policy that gets put out to the public. I'm not sure how relevant any of SARDI's research is but I hope it is (i.e. hopefully they're not just doing it to justify their jobs). I know they still do a fair bit though i.e. over the last 2 months I've bumped into my contact; A) he was netting undersize Whiting (they have ministerial exemption) at St Kilda for some ongoing research programme B) I was fishing the "Bubbler" at Pelican Point and he was on the section bank doing another research programme.
They might do great research at SARDI Steve but I would assume that this research is being buried by PIRSA as they don't want to admit that they are destroying our fishery in pursuit of the export dollars. It would be great if all SARDI's research was published publicly at the same time it was handed to PIRSA, this would make for a much more transparent fishery and help us to hold PIRSA to account.

On a different matter Steve, You'll have to come up Shoreline one night over the weekend for a couple of beers if your still going to Port Augusta this weekend.

Dave
89.5cm. Snapper, 45cm. Salmon (Bream rod, 6lb line), 80cm. Mulloway, 10kg Southern Bluefin Tuna, 90cm Spotted Mackerel, Black Tip Reef Shark, 40cm Mackerel Tuna (spaghetti bait rod)

User avatar
keza
Frother
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:19 pm
Location: sydney
Kayak: Barracuda SoT Ultralight + OK Scupper Pro
Contact:

Re: Disgraceful behaviour

Post by keza » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:22 pm

I had a quick read through, pretty disgusting.
Those commercial guys don't do themselves any favours when they speak, every time I hear one I just come away thinking they just don't get it.
Coal miners of the sea in a lot of cases.
kerry
http://www.kerrywilson.net http://www.kerrywilson.net/blog instagram: kerrywi1son

yak pb's
kingfish 90cm, cobia 124cm flathead 65cm, snapper 80cm, salmon 63cm, trev 56cm, barracouta 75cm, YFT 65cm, spanish 20cm, hairtail 156cm, bonito 68cm, spotty 85cm, tailor 55cm, LTT 101cm, shark 2.5m

User avatar
geoffw
Frother
Posts: 1101
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:32 pm
Location: Henley
Kayak: outback

Re: Disgraceful behaviour

Post by geoffw » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:54 pm

I think its pretty amazing that this post has had 242 views but only 8 replies and the majority of those by just two blokes! No wonder the shed is dying. Just say'n.
Fish' n fun

User avatar
Zilch
Frother
Posts: 1635
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:01 pm
Location: Adelaide , SA
Kayak: Dune Hobie Outback

Re: Disgraceful behaviour

Post by Zilch » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:03 pm

keza wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:22 pm
...... pretty disgusting.
Yep !

Allegedly he has realised his previous account/lies on how this happened didn't add up thus he now has stated, he simply had too many. The rest is unclear whether he indeed did try to release them or due to his greed they got crushed whilst trying to retrieve his net.
geoffw wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:54 pm
I think its pretty amazing that this post has had 242 views but only 8 replies and the majority of those by just two blokes! No wonder the shed is dying. Just say'n.
Geoff all forums are doing it tough, just the sign of the times re social media being the platform most use now days. Hopefully TYS has plateaued and at least maintains it's current level of activity i.e. albeit a smaller bunch of contributors here that appreciate what bertros and co created for us.

Steve
KISS ; keep it simple steve
Even the the fish don't know where my secret fishing spots are !

User avatar
Anselmo
Legend
Posts: 3566
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:11 pm
Location: Dublin Ireland = formerly Bris-Vegas. #5568@ now #7
Kayak: 1995 Perception Minnow
Contact:

Re: Disgraceful behaviour

Post by Anselmo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:56 am

Reading from Dublin but not a lot to add other than I’ve seen it here too unfortunately
The pros rape the sea, destroying the juvenile nurseries in the process then complain the REC rushers are doing the damage, and that they need bigger quotas so their children can have the same job in 20 years
Sorry dudes, your kids need to get out while there’s still a fishery to save

User avatar
Zilch
Frother
Posts: 1635
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:01 pm
Location: Adelaide , SA
Kayak: Dune Hobie Outback

Re: Disgraceful behaviour

Post by Zilch » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:30 pm

Anselmo wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:56 am
The pros rape the sea, destroying the juvenile nurseries in the process then complain the REC rushers are doing the damage, and that they need bigger quotas so their children can have the same job in 20 years
I can't comment on other fisheries but here in SA I think most get upset with those that make the rules (PIRSA) i.e. if the Pro's fish within the rules I for one have to simply grin and bear it. Although in this case this was just pure greed but from what I've heard this particular Pro doesn't care and even the other Pros don't like him i.e. he has form.

Since there was only 2 choices re the survey I voted "yes" knowing that the government will never shut our gulfs off to the Pros i.e. we do need someone/pros to supply the fish market. I see my vote as the same as if you are in negotiations i.e. ask for more than you want or fair knowing that the other party will negotiated that request down e.g. perhaps restrict more areas or offer another buy out scheme.

Steve
KISS ; keep it simple steve
Even the the fish don't know where my secret fishing spots are !

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests