GWS attack in SA

This is the main discussion forum for all general topics relating to kayaking or fishing.
Bonders
Kayak: Dagger

Re: GWS attack in SA

Post by Bonders » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:16 pm

Man, these stories are chilling. I don't know what I'd do in some of these situations and I hope I never find out.

geoffw
Frother
Kayak: outback

Post by geoffw » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:37 pm

It's a real interesting issue ........ how to talk about a real, albeit low probability, risk of shark attack. Silence? Or Hype? I reckon it's somewhere inbetween. It can and obviously does happen. There are lots of examples. Keeping quiet knowing the risk is really not an option. Neither is culling all sharks. Perhaps we should be talking more about these in order to identify risk factors....... like not having a SS or going out alone? What do you think?
Fish' n fun

gab
Kayak: Stealth ProFisha 475

Post by gab » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:59 am

Fishmunga wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:35 pm
solatree wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:11 pm
It was obviously pretty scary for the family involved but shame about all the hype and calls for culling. Justifies Gab's quiet approach last year to his encounter.
I remember around the same time last year I posted a vid on youtube, it got picked up by the news and you guys all laid in to me for posting it. Call me a pioneer but wouldn't it be better to at least give people the heads up. Or i guess you could keep it all secret... whats the worst that could happen.
The extinction of a species so that you can enjoy your floating bananas, surfing and kayaking? That sound like a good reason for keeping it secret, don't you think?
And don't feed me the bullshit that it wouldn't happen. WA is enough of an example already.

Best heads up to give people?

Sharks live in the water of this planet. They've been doing it for million of years. The risk of an attack is minimal, but the odd can always happen. Enjoy the water at your own risk. We are not going to call for shark culling so that your lil' mongrel can enjoy his bloody kayak. If you don't like the idea, go hiking, mountain biking, fishing freshwater or whatever you like. Just remember snakes, crocodiles, falls, floods, etc
No activity is 100% danger free. Even watching tv while drinking beer will kill you. You'll just die slowly instead of quickly.
That's just how life works.
Man up.

Sounds right?

Without considering that people that spread the news, usually are only trying to get their 10 min of fame..... :| :|
Giant Fuck all 88cm; Bumpkiss 76cm; jack shit 45cm;
Peanuts 3 cm; Old gum boot size 11;
Great White 450cm.

aussieDave
Barfly
Kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by aussieDave » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:01 pm

Interesting discussion this one.

Kayak fishing is a dangerous sport, this is just one of the many dangers we face.

Probability wise we are in much more danger driving to our launch location, in fact I used to ride trail bikes as a kid but I would not ride a motor bike on the road, there is a lot of crap and unpredictable drivers out there.

The panic that we have seen in other states justifies the cover up.
I commend the much more practical and sensible actions by the WA government in subsidising SS's, a much better response than the drum lining they were carrying out before, you could never eliminate the risk by drum lining unless you wipe out every last GWS in the southern hemisphere (or at least the Indian, Southern and Pacific oceans) as GWS's are one of the remaining great migration species. All drum lining can do is give people a false sense of security as they will never get them all.
The other options like nets are going to be way too expensive to even contemplate except for a small swimming area like is the traditional aussie way of having a fenced area on the side of a jetty.

We spend thousands on our yaks, fishing gear and trips, $650 for a SS is not a lot in that context.
From my experience they are reliable, we chased Gabs GWS away from him when he was perched on his upturned yak, later that day Chris watched as the same one charged him then take off in the other direction once it got in range of the SS. I have done experiments with those stinking bicatch species we get when snapper fishing (Doggies (Port Jackson sharks), skates and even baby bronzies) these species will come in easy then go mad when in SS range, big doggies I've often found I need to turn the SS off to get them in to get my rig back, the baby bronzies would come in easy then take off perpendicular to my line and breach as they just need to get away.

The problem is modern aussies seem to expect the government to eliminate every risk from their lives which is ridiculous.

People shouldn't need any one particular event like the one last weekend being sensationalised to know that the SA saltwater environment contains GWS's and therefore a risk factor, it is common sense. We all know what happened when the movie Jaws came out, I know people that are still terrorised by this movie almost 40 years later, this is ridiculous!

If people were going to react rationally to these events publicity would be a good idea Fishmunga but unfortunately people have shown that the emotional reaction is much more common. I can understand the family of the girl at Normanville being emotional as it would have been a great shock especially if they are of the school of thought that the government should eliminate every risk factor from their lives, as locals to that area which includes what I've been warned is a GWS aggregating area in late spring (now) only a few km north they should have been aware of the risks.

Life is risky, more people die from bee stings than from sharks, should we eliminate all bees or not walk across grass for this reason? I saw a story the other day that said cows kill about 230 people a year, more than sharks, should we do something about this? I guess these are not as glamorous as shark attacks so you don't hear about them.

Dave
89.5cm. Snapper, 45cm. Salmon (Bream rod, 6lb line), 80cm. Mulloway, 10kg Southern Bluefin Tuna, 90cm Spotted Mackerel, Black Tip Reef Shark, 40cm Mackerel Tuna (spaghetti bait rod)

stealthfisha
Legend
Kayak: STEALTH PROFISHA 525

Post by stealthfisha » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Bravo Dave & Gab

Fishmunga
Kayak: Hobie

Post by Fishmunga » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:06 pm

gab wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:59 am
Fishmunga wrote:
solatree wrote:
It was obviously pretty scary for the family involved but shame about all the hype and calls for culling. Justifies Gab's quiet approach last year to his encounter.
I remember around the same time last year I posted a vid on youtube, it got picked up by the news and you guys all laid in to me for posting it. Call me a pioneer but wouldn't it be better to at least give people the heads up. Or i guess you could keep it all secret... whats the worst that could happen.
The extinction of a species so that you can enjoy your floating bananas, surfing and kayaking? That sound like a good reason for keeping it secret, don't you think?
And don't feed me the bullshit that it wouldn't happen. WA is enough of an example already.

Sharks live in the water of this planet. They've been doing it for million of years. The risk of an attack is minimal, but the odd can always happen. Enjoy the water at your own risk. We are not going to call for shark culling so that your lil' mongrel can enjoy his bloody kayak. If you don't like the idea, go hiking, mountain biking, fishing freshwater or whatever you like. Just remember snakes, crocodiles, falls, floods, etc
No activity is 100% danger free. Even watching tv while drinking beer will kill you. You'll just die slowly instead of quickly.
Man up.

Sounds right?

Without considering that people that spread the news, usually are only trying to get their 10 min of fame..... :| :|
Cool yeah i was chasing my 10 min of fame good one Gab. No drum lines were put out and I'm pretty sure the species isn't extinct. It was just a vid of a curious shark I posted on a local yak fishing page... get over it Gab.
Is WA a good or bad example I'm confused?? I don't know of any GW's being fished out by drum lines in fact last i saw was they are going to use drones this summer... but then i guess the problem is then people will get warned about a big fuck off shark in the water and we don't want that now do we.
I guess if you see a big shark, keep it all hush and someones daughter gets chewed thats just how life works.
Last edited by Fishmunga on Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yak PB's: Spanish Mack 156cm - Snapper 93cm - Dhufish 68cm - Samson 70cm - Australian Slamon 82cm - Gummy Shark 103cm - Skippy 57cm - Squid 46 (hood) - Black Bream 42cm

gab

Post by gab » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:34 am

Fishmunga wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:06 pm
gab wrote:
Fishmunga wrote:
solatree wrote:

Man up.

Sounds right?

Cool yeah i was chasing my 10 min of fame good one Gab. No drum lines were put out and I'm pretty sure the species isn't extinct. It was just a vid of a curious shark I posted on a local yak fishing page... get over it Gab.
Is WA a good or bad example I'm confused?? I don't know of any GW's being fished out by drum lines in fact last i saw was they are going to use drones this summer... but then i guess the problem is then people will get warned about a big fuck off shark in the water and we don't want that now do we.
I guess if you see a big shark, keep it all hush and someones daughter gets chewed thats just how life works.
Good. World is overpopulated.
Great White 450cm.

Fishmunga
Kayak: Hobie

Post by Fishmunga » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:09 am

gab wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:34 am
Fishmunga wrote:
gab wrote:
Fishmunga wrote:
solatree wrote:

Man up.

Sounds right?

ha! yeah maybe we need a cull. Anyway mate give me all the shit you like at the end of the day you're the one with the profile pic riding a shark....... pot....kettle...
Yak PB's: Spanish Mack 156cm - Snapper 93cm - Dhufish 68cm - Samson 70cm - Australian Slamon 82cm - Gummy Shark 103cm - Skippy 57cm - Squid 46 (hood) - Black Bream 42cm

gab

Post by gab » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:07 am

Fishmunga wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:09 am
gab wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:34 am
Fishmunga wrote:
gab wrote:
Fishmunga wrote:

Man up.

Sounds right?

ha! yeah maybe we need a cull. Anyway mate give me all the shit you like at the end of the day you're the one with the profile pic riding a shark....... pot....kettle...
Get a life
Great White 450cm.

nezevic
Legend
Kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by nezevic » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:17 pm

Park it gents. Petty name calling is unnecessary.
Cheers,
Jon

Snap: 88cm, Grassy: 58cm, Red Emperor: 58cm, Bass: 44cm, Cobe: 20kg, Longtail: 98cm, Jewfish: 11.5kg, Hammer ~1.8m, Spaniard: 126cm Spotty: 109cm

Hey Ken, I'm just going to clean my fish.