Is the Yak shed Dying a slow Death

This is the main discussion forum for all general topics relating to kayaking or fishing.
Bungy
Local
Kayak: Hobie Outbacks x2

Is the Yak shed Dying a slow Death

Post by Bungy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:46 am

Not much happening on this site ...What going on

tomsie
Kayak: evo495

Re: Is the Yak shed Dying a slow Death

Post by tomsie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:31 am

I've never really posted much here or on the previous site but yeah, it seems that the regular posters have left over the last 6 months or so which is a shame...

oldfart
Kayak: Perception Swing ebay special

Post by oldfart » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:48 pm

might be work related/holidays etc. At least I hope it is I enjoy the reading here.
I started life with nothing.......and still have most of it left

yakkingbrendon
Local
Kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 12 and Hobie Revolution 13

Post by yakkingbrendon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:51 pm

I have 3 different trip reports to post but cant seem to find time to finish them .... spent 8 weeks out of country this year which has certainly cost me some time on the water .
Most forums are pretty quite these days .The Westcoast one has morphed into a face book page with 2000 ish members of which only a modest number are real active members .
Just not the same on face book . The whole photobucket saga also slows down posting as i now end up having to upload pics manually which is a pain.
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 12 , Hobie Revolution 13 , https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Indiedog
Legend
Kayak: PF475 BFS

Post by Indiedog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:09 pm

I'd post something, but just can't get on the water these days. But nothing stopping others and I'm happy to participate.

What I like about TYS is you get reports from all over the globe, or we used to. Now with the localized FB groups you don't get to see that anymore. All the various groups/forums have their ups and downs, let's hope that TYS (and the knowledge that came from the old joint) does not totally disappear.
I caught a hairtail. Weird looking phucker.

http://www.arcoeco.com.au

bertros
Legend
Kayak: Revo 13 + AI

Post by bertros » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:37 pm

The bulk of the QLD posts have disappeared to Facebook, and the NSW ones were already light on here. It's been a SA flag flying disproportionally for a while now, which is a real shame.

I think the fact is, none of us here need the forum in the same way we used to... we're all mostly pretty accomplished fisho's who aren't looking for help and aren't excited by heading out and catching a bag of fish the way we were 5 years ago.

Take for example the Sydney scene which I'm close to... Back in 2012 i would have been excited by posting a report where i paddled out and caught a nice Aussie Salmon while a few of the other boys posted up sessions where they caught a number of plentiful rat Kingfish. I'm doing that and more most weekends now but don't consider it newsworthy... hell, most of the time i can't even be bothered to post a pic to facebook or instagram despite making a resolution to do that more this year.

The stuff that's interesting for me these days is the wooden SOT kayak build, the random art that comes out of Ireland from people who don't fish that much (j/k Nick), and the odd joke, and that's because the witty banter and incessant chatter has gone. The boasts have gone. The chat has gone.

Is it dying a slow death? Yeah... quite likely. It'll be around as long as the lights stay turned on, but i think times have changed yet again as they have for all forums in this day and age.

The greatest disservice ever done for this place was when Scott McDonald saw it fit to flog off AKFF for a profit to the Canadian advertising conglomerate, despite having been given the keys to the house and left the maintenance & upkeep of it to those around him until that fateful day. I'll watch it out until the end, but i mean this with absolute sincerity when i say... F*CK Scott!
Yak PB's: Australian Salmon - 70cm; Bream - 40cm; Bonito - 62cm; cobia - 81cm; Estuary Perch - 32.5cm; Flathead - 57cm; Groper - 50cm; Kingfish - 108cm; Mulloway - 130cm; Snapper - 60cm; Spotted Mack - 110cm; Squid (hood) - 34cm; Tailor - 50cm; Silver Trevally - 41cm; Whiting - 39cm

dru
Barfly
Kayak: Hobie TI: Stealth PF475: Zegul 550 (SIK): Carbonology Vault (surf ski)

Post by dru » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:47 pm

Hey guys. I still check in to watch, not on the water these days at all though.

Look, forums are an old format now and losing out to the newer social media. That’s a trend, not a statement about tys.

Don’t think we can blame Scott either, though the timing of the demise of AKFF did meet the down trend in forums.

Used to love the way this joint was a place that kayak fishers came to yak. Boast about the fishing sure, but this was the place I was introduced tothe Higgs bosun and got shouted down over my irresponsible attitude to cats (can do no wrong but mine won’t eat an Aussie salmon). Got to read about hiking and climbing.

Love the place. Just keep posting.
cheers,
Dru.

Marty
Local
Kayak: Stealth Evo 465 Tarpon 120 Hobie Quest 11

Post by Marty » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 am

I like the organised fishing trip reports like SWR coming up etc and hopefully TYS will be around for a while longer. Yeah it seems like FB groups are taking over Internet forums these days.

Marty

Bennito
Kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Bennito » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:31 am

I hope not.
I enjoy reading posts and am still learing my "trade" as a yak fisherman.
Haven't been on the water recently due to work and crap weather ... So no posts recently.

robwho
Local
Kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by robwho » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:51 pm

It is definitely quieter than a year ago.

Become kind of like the way I can cruise by once or twice a week or come back or go away and come back after even longer without wading thru the FB style stream-of-conscious, click me here, click me there, someone has just et THIS AMAZING NEW THING OMG! , and here is a annoying CLICK ME NOW insert from some party our data mining algorithms calculate likely you will click thru and get us advertising $$$$$.

Still the banter was nice here, I miss that.
Robert White Hobie Outback

awty
Barfly
Kayak: Sea kayakfishing skiplastic one

Post by awty » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:54 am

But my wife is on FB and Instagram! Its bad enough she found my Fickr account and started liking and commenting and stuff....FFS!
Forums are all I got.
Good to see there are still a few of the crew lurking around on here and KFDU.....but not many though.

Been recovering from some surgery I had last year and decided I would do a bit of kayak fishing again, dragged the old ski out from under the house, washed off the cobwebs, fixed up the corroded fish finder and replaced the broken trolley.......now I come here for inspiration to go out into the deep blue sea and nothing much happening. Kayak is back under the house, but I will get there.....and maybe put up a trip report, havent done that for awhile.
Paul

canaryfisher

Post by canaryfisher » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:31 pm

I think allot have gone to facebook or kfdu. Though not sure what groups people are in cause I only see posts about stealth reports from stealth other then that I rarely see any stealth people talking in the kayak fishing groups I have been in.

keza
Frother
Kayak: Barracuda SoT Ultralight + OK Scupper Pro

Post by keza » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:15 pm

As Matt was saying, I think a lot have split in to smaller FB groups, the trouble with these is that they make you feel pretty inadequate, I paddle on the harbour and around sth head today and never saw a fish but if I come back and look at FB it tells me there were fish everywhere, pile of BS.
I need to do FB and Instagram for work and that chews up my time but I'll always be checking in here too.
I wouldn't give up on it, it doesn't take much to turn it around, there were never that many people posting but the ones they did spent a lot of time on here (at least that's what my wife told me).
kerry
http://www.kerrywilson.net http://www.kerrywilson.net/blog instagram: kerrywi1son

yak pb's
kingfish 90cm, cobia 124cm flathead 65cm, snapper 80cm, salmon 63cm, trev 56cm, barracouta 75cm, YFT 65cm, spanish 20cm, hairtail 156cm, bonito 68cm, spotty 85cm, tailor 55cm, LTT 101cm, shark 2.5m

aussieDave
Barfly
Kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by aussieDave » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:56 pm

I've noticed this for a while now and sorry guys.

I think it all started when I voiced my non-mainstream political views and some people just can't hack it when people have a different opinion.
I try real hard not to talk politics on fishing sites anymore.

I have been blaming myself for a while for the lack of action here, sorry.

Dave
89.5cm. Snapper, 45cm. Salmon (Bream rod, 6lb line), 80cm. Mulloway, 10kg Southern Bluefin Tuna, 90cm Spotted Mackerel, Black Tip Reef Shark, 40cm Mackerel Tuna (spaghetti bait rod)

solatree
Barfly
Kayak: Hobie Sport- Catch 390- Xstream 420- Hobie Lanai

Post by solatree » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:37 am

aussieDave wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:56 pm
I've noticed this for a while now and sorry guys.

I think it all started when I voiced my non-mainstream political views and some people just can't hack it when people have a different opinion.
I try real hard not to talk politics on fishing sites anymore.

I have been blaming myself for a while for the lack of action here, sorry.

Dave
Its not you at all Dave - in fact you are one of the regular posters - so well done and keep it up.

I still visit regularly, but I'm not kayak fishing as much as I was - or not doing as well as I used to :oops:
But I will post if I have something worthwhile - and I will keep visiting.
This community is too good to lose.
regards Andy

It's a solitary Yacca