Maintenance time

This is the main discussion forum for all general topics relating to kayaking or fishing.
BBY
Frother
Location: Half way up the pointy bit, where it goes "doonk" and in a bit.
Kayak:

Maintenance time

Post by BBY » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:08 pm

After having my Hobie Outback laying idle in the shed for over 12 month, I gave it a once over before using it again. It’s quite a few years old now and I haven’t had to spend a cent on it in maintenance....pity boats aren’t like that!

I noticed the little bungy cord that holds the front hatch shut has perished and lost elasticity. Given everything else is the same age, I’m planning on replacing all the bungy cord on the hull.

Now I could just measure everything and save you all the hassle, but pretty sure someone here would have done it before and remember. Is all the cord the same size or are there different sizes for different things? If I know it’s all the same I can just buy a random length of the one size and know I’m covered for everything.

Anyone know off the top of their heads if all the bungy cord is the same diameter? It’s about a 2010 Hull?

Fishane
Frother
Kayak: PA14 AI and Quest

Re: Maintenance time

Post by Fishane » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:45 pm

All the bungee cord on my hobies is the same diameter. It looks to be 5mm but measures up to just on 6mm. A bulk roll of either size should do.

After this long you should also strip down and service your drive and check the rudder lines.

BBY
Frother
Location: Half way up the pointy bit, where it goes "doonk" and in a bit.
Kayak:

Re: Maintenance time

Post by BBY » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:24 pm

Fishane wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:45 pm
After this long you should also strip down and service your drive and check the rudder lines.
Thanks. Drive has been done during that period, rudder lines never been looked at....something for me to look at.