Busted - The Illegal Fishing Thread

This is the main discussion forum for all general topics relating to kayaking or fishing.
Anselmo
Legend
Location: Dublin Ireland = formerly Bris-Vegas. #5568@ now #7
Kayak: 1995 Perception Minnow

Busted - The Illegal Fishing Thread

Post by Anselmo » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:56 pm

A new thread to post where reports of illegal fishing has been prosecuted

1) Muddies in SE Qld 04/09/2014

Anselmo
Legend

Muddies in SE Qld 04/09/2014

Post by Anselmo » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:57 pm

Link

Ceck out the photos of the muddies
Fishing World wrote:Boat seized in crabbing crackdown
04 Sep 2014
A RECREATIONAL crabber in Queensland has been convicted and fined $10,000 for possessing a large number of undersized mud crabs and had his boat, trailer and equipment forfeited.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) District Manager Brett Depper said the penalties reflected the gravity of this particular case.

“QBFP officers found 31 undersized male mud crabs and three mud crab claws when they executed three simultaneous search warrants in the Beachmere area in a joint operation with Brisbane Water Police,” Mr Depper said.

“The Magistrate handed down the penalty in the Caboolture Magistrates Court after the defendant admitted he worked within the fishing industry and was well aware of the restrictions surrounding the taking of mud crabs.”

Mr Depper said it was believed the crabs were taken from the Caboolture River.

“The Caboolture River is an important recreational and commercial fishing area and QBFP will continue to monitor the area at all times of the day and night,” he said.

“The taking of illegal mud crabs is a potential threat to the continued sustainability of the economically important fishery.

“We feel this penalty sends a strong message to crabbers to stick to the limits and do the right thing.”

If you suspect illegal fishing, whether seen in person or online, report it to the Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116. Don’t engage the person, as this can compromise an investigation.

For more information on Queensland’s fishing rules, visit http://www.fisheries.qld.gov.au, call 13 25 23 or download the free "Qld fishing" smart phone app from Apple and Google app stores.

Anselmo
Legend

Re: Busted - The Illegal Fishing Thread

Post by Anselmo » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:36 pm

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/bla ... 20in%20QLD
Black market crabbers to shell out $32000 in fines

TWO men in Queensland have been convicted and fined $32,000 for crabbing offences.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol field officer James Hohenhaus said the hefty fines showed crabbing offences would not be tolerated.

“The men were convicted in the Cleveland Magistrates Court and fined $16,000 each for taking and possessing 24 female mud crabs, three undersized blue swimmer crabs and three undersized mud crabs,” Mr Hohenhaus said.

“They were also charged for using seven unmarked sunken pots, failing to stop and obstructing officers.

“Both men were aware of the restrictions surrounding the taking of crabs, and had intended selling the crabs on the black market.”

Mr Hohenhaus said black marketing of seafood was a problem throughout Queensland.

FishnDive
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth PF525_Fisha 460_Toura 17_Pinnacle Elite

Post by FishnDive » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:47 pm

From DEPi Victoria Facebook page:
Illegal fishing has cost a Lakes Entrance couple more than $2000.
Bairnsdale Magistrates Court yesterday heard the two were caught with 50 undersized black bream and three undersized King George whiting, after being intercepted by Fisheries Officers at Swan Reach in February.
The court heard the woman tried to hide a bag of fish under her car when the Officers intercepted the vehicle on the Tambo Upper Road, alongside the Tambo River.
When asked what fish they had, they pointed to a yellow bucket which was found to contain seven bream, three of them undersize.
After inspecting the vehicle, Officers found a bag underneath it that contained another 28 bream, all undersize.
When they admitted they had more fish at their home, Officers found 19 more undersized bream and 3 undersized whiting in a freezer.
The size limit for bream is 28 cm and the daily bag limit is 10. The seized fish ranged in length between 22.3 and 26.6 cm.
The 64-year-old woman, who had a prior Infringement Notice for taking more fish than the catch limit, was fined $1200, ordered to forfeit her fishing equipment and pay $68 costs.
The 61-year-old man was fined $750 with costs of $68 and a similar forfeiture order.
Anyone who wishes to report suspected illegal fishing activity is encouraged to use the 13FISH offence reporting line by calling 13FISH (133474) anytime. All callers’ identities are protected.
10686669_746793568724489_2906705280714667197_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eoin (Owen)

suestealth
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth Profisha 475 Wilderness 145 Sea Kayak

Post by suestealth » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:43 am

Can't give any details but these individuals do not cope with jail very well at all. Mainly due to the fact that they are not known in the criminal community.
Regards Sue

Anselmo
Legend

Post by Anselmo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:52 pm

$5200 fine in NSW
NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) fisheries officers have issued fines totalling $5,200 to a group of fishers found illegally fishing on the Macquarie River in the State’s Central West.
DPI Acting Director Fisheries Compliance, Tony Andrews, said fisheries officers conducted a targeted operation on the Macquarie River, downstream of Narromine.

jbone
Barfly
Kayak: GT470 + EVO 495

Post by jbone » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:59 pm

No prosecution but a couple of Chinese guys were fishing near us yesterday, they pulled in two jewfish only 20cm big and proceeded to kill them instantly, I tried to reason with them explaining the size limits and that they are a great species to preserve, Anyway they left shortly after I mentioned it (bit of a language barrier) and we jumped into there spot and mate pulled out a 65cm job which was released after a photo. Would anybody suggest calling fisheries and reporting this? It sort of crossed my mind but they were gone before I had thought it over.

Anselmo
Legend

Post by Anselmo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:02 pm

jbone wrote:No prosecution but a couple of Chinese guys were fishing near us yesterday, they pulled in two jewfish only 20cm big and proceeded to kill them instantly, I tried to reason with them explaining the size limits and that they are a great species to preserve, Anyway they left shortly after I mentioned it (bit of a language barrier) and we jumped into there spot and mate pulled out a 65cm job which was released after a photo. Would anybody suggest calling fisheries and reporting this? It sort of crossed my mind but they were gone before I had thought it over.
I would

yakfisher
Kayak: OK Prowler 4.5, OK 4.3 ultra, pro fish a 575

Post by yakfisher » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:15 pm

Anselmo wrote:
I would
Agree

BBY
Frother
Location: Half way up the pointy bit, where it goes "doonk" and in a bit.
Kayak:

Post by BBY » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:13 pm

Yep, I would have looked for some some way of identifying them like car rego etc and maybe even snapped a discreet photo or recorded a conversation and then dobbed them in. Probably go nowhere, especially if you've got nothing to give the authorities to track them down with but it would feel good.

I'd be very wary being too in their face about it, never know what's going though their heads.

jbone
Barfly
Kayak: GT470 + EVO 495

Post by jbone » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:17 pm

BBY wrote:I'd be very wary being too in their face about it, never know what's going though their heads.
I really don't think they knew what they were taking which makes it worst. They seemed like good guys but there was a serious language barrier.. when I was saying they need to be 75cm and I showed him with my arms he was like oh no we have never seen a fish this big here.

Maybe if they were sly about the fact and they knew I would of persisted but its not like it is going to stop them considering they would eat a 20cm jewfish in the first place. We were more interested in fishing their spot as the tide was turning and thought there might be some more out there which ended up paying off in an explosive run for my mate almost losing his rod over the railing. Cant save them all.

yelecnal

Post by yelecnal » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:29 am

Well done Qld on confiscating all the gear associated with the offences!!

If possible, all illegal activity should be reported.

NSW Fisheries Hotline Number is 1800043536 - the nearest available officer to the 'complaint' would be contacted to follow up the call.

Not sure of the Qld Hotline number - but they would have a similar system I would think

Taking a photo of the person/boat/car is a handy bit of evidence to provide to Fisheries, tho some discretion may be required, to avoid personal conflict/abuse!

Y

bertros
Legend
Kayak: Revo 13 + AI

Post by bertros » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:07 am

http://www.news.com.au/national/norther ... 7096314557

Three men to face Court after police bust them with 100 mud crabs, many undersized, at Buffalo Creek
MORE than 100 mud crabs — many of them undersized — have been seized by Water Police in a sting called in by the public at a popular boat ramp over the weekend.

Senior Constable Richard Cheal said police picked up three fishos aged 63, 62 and 40 after a member of the public reported “suspicious activity” at Buffalo Creek on Sunday morning.

He said Water Police conveyed the illegal catch back to the boat ramp about 9am thanks to some help from fishos at the ramp.

“It is disturbing that these fishermen have shown a blatant disregard for the amateur possession limits in taking some 70 mud crabs in excess of their lawful bag limit,” Sen-Cons Cheal said.

He said police want to know how the men managed to catch so many crabs in a short period of time.
“We would be interested in talking to any members of the public who had crab pots set in Buffalo Creek on Sunday that believe their pots may have been interfered with.”

The crabs, boat, motor, trailer and equipment have all been confiscated.

“I would personally like to thank those members of the public who not only identified the illegal activity to us but to those who also assisted us with locating and seizing the amateur fishermen’s haul of mud crabs,” he said.

Male mud crabs must measure at least 13cm across the carapace, and 14cm for females.
The bag limit is 10 crabs per person, or 30 in total when there are three or more people on the boat.

Anyone with this information or any other information regarding illegal fishing activity is urged to call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Yak PB's: Australian Salmon - 70cm; Bream - 40cm; Bonito - 62cm; Estuary Perch - 32.5cm; Flathead - 57cm; Groper - 50cm; Kingfish - 108cm; Snapper - 60cm; Spotted Mack - 110cm; Squid (hood) - 34cm; Tailor - 50cm; Silver Trevally - 41cm; Whiting - 39cm

MrX
Barfly
Kayak: Hobie Revo 13 + Reventure 16 + Stealth Fisha

Post by MrX » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:23 pm

jbone said:
"Would anybody suggest calling fisheries and reporting this? It sort of crossed my mind but they were gone before I had thought it over. …. I really don't think they knew what they were taking …. They seemed like good guys but there was a serious language barrier "

I think you did the right thing, jbone. In those circumstances (good guys who don't know the rules), trying to educate them is better than the dibber dobber approach. Takes some diplomatic skill though.

If they respond to helpful suggestions by carrying on like dickheads, notify fisheries.
'FISH
...OR
CUT BAIT'

From Yak: 135cm Cobe; 114.5cm Kingy; 110cm Longtail; 99cm Spotty; 93cm Spaniard; 77.5cm Snap; 73cm Aussy Salmon; 70cm Amberjack; 64cm Bonnie; 60cm Groper (released); 59cm Taylor; 127cm Hairtail; 1.5m+ Hammerheads

Novice

Post by Novice » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:17 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-14/a ... ch/5890896

It would be nice if fisheries nailed the knob ends who target the Mary river cod, social media is awash with those deeds.