Busted - The Illegal Fishing Thread

This is the main discussion forum for all general topics relating to kayaking or fishing.
stealthfisha
Legend
Kayak: STEALTH PROFISHA 525

Re: Busted - The Illegal Fishing Thread

Post by stealthfisha » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:05 am

Update: Coorong Illegal fishing.

Ive been told by one kayak fisho that a local yakker down at goolwa was fined $380 fishing in a no go zone.

The same kayaker who was fined also told me personally three days prior that its the out of towners (tourists) that ruin it for everyone....

Fact: locals have been cutting the fence to fish the barrage...locals in kayaks have been fishing the no go zone.....both groups have been caught and handed fines.

FYI :D

Minny
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth EVO 465 - PF 575 - Cobra Expedition

Post by Minny » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:31 pm

Just been down to Goolwa Barrage and the Marine Watch turned up, just 10 min. earlier I had a mulloway on and he dragged me towards the buoys, had I not thrown out the anchor I would have been inside, Well I asked the inspector what would have happened if he had seen me in their by a fish towing you,, he said that it is a $375 fine for trespass and then another $375 for fishing inside the buoys a total of $750 so be warned and they are flat out targeting kayaks mainly and the fishos on the barrage as Stealth said the locals are stuffing it up for everyone..

P.S in the last 3 trips I have only brought home 3 legal fish out of about 40 fish..
MINNY

Image "is sponsored by Dinga.com.au" Image

Anselmo
Legend
Location: Dublin Ireland = formerly Bris-Vegas. #5568@ now #7
Kayak: 1995 Perception Minnow

Post by Anselmo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:38 pm

And some news from the US
Link wrote:U.S. District Judge Richard D. Bennett sentenced William J. Lednum, age 41, of Tilghman Island, today to a year and a day in prison, followed by six months of home detention as part of three years of supervised release, for conspiring to violate the Lacey Act and to defraud the United States through the illegal harvesting and sale of 185,925 pounds of striped bass.
And on the subject of deterrents

"IT'S NOT ILLEGAL UNTIL YOU GET CAUGHT"

Anselmo
Legend

Post by Anselmo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:41 am

Anselmo
Legend

Post by Anselmo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:12 pm

Netter nabbed in rec fishing haven
“The Kianga man was observed loading the meshing net into a canoe and paddling out into the lake,” Mr Andrews said.

“Fisheries officers apprehended the man as he was setting the 48 metre net, which was seized along with the canoe and paddle.

“Thanks to the quick and responsive action by fisheries officers, no marine life was killed or injured by the net.”

Anselmo
Legend

Post by Anselmo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:09 pm

Fisher faces hefty fine for illegal trag
THE NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) has warned that heavy penalties for illegal fishing apply, after a recreational fisher was caught in the Port Stephens-Great Lakes Marine Park in possession of 49 teraglin.

DPI Supervising Fisheries Officer Lee Burdett said recreational fishers need to be reminded of the rules.

“There is a recreational bag limit of 5 for teraglin (commonly known as trag), with a minimum legal length of 38cm,” Ms Burdett said.

“The male recreational fisher we apprehended near Broughton Island in the Port Stephens-Great Lakes Marine Park had exceeded the bag limit by almost 10 times.

“The man faces a maximum $22,000 fine and/or six months imprisonment (or both).”

FishnDive
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth PF525_Fisha 460_Toura 17_Pinnacle Elite

Post by FishnDive » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:51 pm

The problem down here is that when they do catch someone, the fines are too light - 4 charges of $443 for 55 illegal fish its a joke!

From DEPI Vic:
"A call to the 13FISH offence reporting line has helped Fisheries Officers detect two Melbourne men, aged 24 and 27, allegedly with 55 snapper at St Helens, near Geelong.
The Officers stopped the men’s car at approximately 8:30pm on 14 January.
They allegedly located 55 snapper in the boot, of which only one met the legal minimum size of 28cm.
The fish were seized by Officers and the two men are expected to be charged on summons under the Fisheries Act.
They will be charged with four separate offences, including taking/possessing fish less than the minimum size and taking/possessing more than the catch limit.
Each offence can attract a fine of $443.
The minimum size for snapper is 28cm and the daily bag limit is 10, of which only three snapper may be larger than 40cm."
Eoin (Owen)

Anselmo
Legend

Post by Anselmo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:57 pm

FishnDive wrote:The problem down here is that when they do catch someone, the fines are too light - 4 charges of $443 for 55 illegal fish its a joke!

From DEPI Vic:
"A call to the 13FISH offence reporting line has helped Fisheries Officers detect two Melbourne men, aged 24 and 27, allegedly with 55 snapper at St Helens, near Geelong.
The Officers stopped the men’s car at approximately 8:30pm on 14 January.
They allegedly located 55 snapper in the boot, of which only one met the legal minimum size of 28cm.
The fish were seized by Officers and the two men are expected to be charged on summons under the Fisheries Act.
They will be charged with four separate offences, including taking/possessing fish less than the minimum size and taking/possessing more than the catch limit.
Each offence can attract a fine of $443.
The minimum size for snapper is 28cm and the daily bag limit is 10, of which only three snapper may be larger than 40cm."
Is it (up to) 4 offences per illegal fish?
(3 x 55) + (4 x 54) = 165 + 216 = 381 offences
381 x $443 = $168,783

Might be wrong on that ...

FishnDive
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth PF525_Fisha 460_Toura 17_Pinnacle Elite

Post by FishnDive » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:11 pm

I think they only get charged with 4 offences all up, ie $1772 each and no gear reported as confiscated - wtf?
Eoin (Owen)

Anselmo
Legend

Post by Anselmo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:45 pm

FishnDive wrote:I think they only get charged with 4 offences all up, ie $1772 each and no gear reported as confiscated - wtf?
Hardly enough to make them think twice

GoneNative
Kayak: Tarpon

Post by GoneNative » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:29 pm

FishnDive wrote:I think they only get charged with 4 offences all up, ie $1772 each and no gear reported as confiscated - wtf?
I think you're right with that one Fish n Dive. They get charged per offence, not per instance of offence (no of fish). Depends on the available fine too, I guess with larger quantities they may increase the fine tho.

Another limp wristed fine for some people knowingly (very) doing the wrong thing:

http://www.naroomanewsonline.com.au/sto ... operation/

Must say tho good work and very well caught by the DPI, they were certainly onto them!Why anybody would spear a groper is beyond me, despite being illegal they just swim up to you and there's only one per area. Pure Scumbags.

All up for them being named and shamed and their photo's published, but will never happen as crims have too many rights these days.

Anselmo
Legend

Post by Anselmo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:35 pm

GoneNative wrote:
I think you're right with that one Fish n Dive. They get charged per offence, not per instance of offence (no of fish). Depends on the available fine too, I guess with larger quantities they may increase the fine tho.

Another limp wristed fine for some people knowingly (very) doing the wrong thing:

http://www.naroomanewsonline.com.au/sto ... operation/

Must say tho good work and very well caught by the DPI, they were certainly onto them!Why anybody would spear a groper is beyond me, despite being illegal they just swim up to you and there's only one per area. Pure Scumbags.

All up for them being named and shamed and their photo's published, but will never happen as crims have too many rights these days.
More on that here:
http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/ill ... th%20Coast
Illegal fishers targeted in South Coast blitz

FISHERIES officers in NSW have issued more than $10,000 in fines and seized more than a hundred fish, sharks and snails during a compliance operation targeting the south coast over the holiday period.

NSW DPI Acting Director of Compliance, Tony Andrews, said Operation Alpha Delta 14 focused on illegal fishing activity within sanctuary and special purpose zones (within the Batemans Marine Park – BMP) and general recreational and commercial fishing in adjacent areas between December 27 2014 and January 12, 2015.
and here:
http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/sti ... e%20groper
Sting catches groper cheats

TWO illegal fishers hoping to fool NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) fisheries officers got a nasty surprise when they were apprehended for illegally spearing a blue groper on the NSW south coast.

DPI Acting Director of Compliance, Tony Andrews, said the two men were fishing at Tura Headland, near Merimbula, late last year, under the covert surveillance of fisheries officers.

“It will be alleged that a 25 year old man from Monash in the ACT, speared the blue groper and then placed it on the fishing line of his companion, a 43 year old man from Gungahlin, in the ACT, who was fishing from nearby rocks,” Mr Andrews said.

“The diver did this in an attempt to legitimise the capture because blue groper can only be taken by a fishing line. This shows that both men were calculated, deceptive and indicated knowledge of wrong doing.

“The men were apprehended as they attempted to leave and were found to have a large blue groper with a spear wound, measuring 76cm long and weighing 9.1kg in their possession.

“The 25 year old was issued with a $500 Penalty Infringement Notice for spearing a groper, and the 43 year old was issued with a $500 Penalty Infringement Notice for possessing fish illegally taken.

“Fisheries officers also seized all associated diving and fishing equipment.
$500 apiece hardly serves as a deterrent. Name and shame would. As would a public tar and feathering.
I'd also be concernec that they have done this before and NOT been caught

Anselmo
Legend

Post by Anselmo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:48 pm

Meanwhile in WA
http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/tra ... ine%20park

Named, Shamed
Now who's got the pine tar, I have enough feathers for everyone ;-)
Trawler company fined for fishing in marine park

A commercial fishing company has been fined for fishing in Western Australia's Ningaloo Commonwealth Marine Reserve.

The Federal Court fined South Australian company, Lucky S Fishing, $34,650 for illegal fishing in the WA reserve best known for itsmassive whale sharks that draw tourists from around the world.

The court also awarded costs of $45,000 against the company.

In his judgement last week, the Honourable Justice Foster concluded protection of the reserve was "a matter of considerable importance, and that the company should have made sure the operator of the vessel knew precisely where he could and could not conduct commercial fishing operations".

In September 2010, aerial surveillance detected the vessel Nansei trawling within Ningaloo, where fishing has been prohibited since 1987.

Lucky S Fishing did not contest the civil proceedings, and the company agreed it failed to take reasonable actions, as the owner of the fishing permit, to ensure its skipper was aware of the Commonwealth marine reserve.

The ruling comes less than a month after the Federal Court fined a Queensland-based commercial fishing company $55,000 for illegal fishing in the Elizabeth and Middleton Commonwealth Marine Reserve.

More at: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/south ... 2z5ib.html

GoneNative
Kayak: Tarpon

Post by GoneNative » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:18 pm

Anselmo wrote: $500 apiece hardly serves as a deterrent. Name and shame would. As would a public tar and feathering.
I'd also be concernec that they have done this before and NOT been caught
Gotta agree with you there. From their actions, I'd think it's highly unlikely it's these idiots first rodeo.

BBY
Frother
Location: Half way up the pointy bit, where it goes "doonk" and in a bit.
Kayak:

Post by BBY » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:06 am