Busted - The Illegal Fishing Thread

This is the main discussion forum for all general topics relating to kayaking or fishing.
aussieDave
Barfly
Kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: Busted - The Illegal Fishing Thread

Post by aussieDave » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:49 pm

It's good to see that Fisheries officers are actually doing their job.

Illegal gill nets, that's the worst, bloody pirates.
89.5cm. Snapper, 45cm. Salmon (Bream rod, 6lb line), 80cm. Mulloway, 10kg Southern Bluefin Tuna, 90cm Spotted Mackerel, Black Tip Reef Shark, 40cm Mackerel Tuna (spaghetti bait rod)

BBY
Frother
Location: Half way up the pointy bit, where it goes "doonk" and in a bit.
Kayak:

Post by BBY » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:54 pm

The govt wrecked fishing when they banned nets, not even allowed to go out and catch a feed these days!

(Heard that more times than I care to count)

almeister
Kayak: haswing pos

Post by almeister » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:36 pm

Local dickheads wallets going to be weeping

Indiedog
Legend
Kayak: PF475 BFS

Post by Indiedog » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:57 am

That's a lot of undersized cray. Glad they got stung.
I caught a hairtail. Weird looking phucker.

http://www.arcoeco.com.au

yakkingbrendon
Local
Kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 12 and Hobie Revolution 13

Post by yakkingbrendon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:33 am

Boat seized at Perth boat ramp yesterday when a guy who had a Cray pot stolen walked over to another boat to ask if they had seen anything and they had his pot on-board. Posted it on social media and called fishwatch and fisheries who are running an operation targeting this sort of thing responded quickly and nabbed the bastard. Apparently going to be a bumper season. Was watching divers off the beach coming in with full bags least week.
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 12 , Hobie Revolution 13 , https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

JamieS
Local
Kayak: 2014 Hobie Outback

Post by JamieS » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:33 pm

yakkingbrendon wrote:Boat seized at Perth boat ramp yesterday when a guy who had a Cray pot stolen walked over to another boat to ask if they had seen anything and they had his pot on-board. Posted it on social media and called fishwatch and fisheries who are running an operation targeting this sort of thing responded quickly and nabbed the bastard. Apparently going to be a bumper season. Was watching divers off the beach coming in with full bags least week.

I have heard they took his car too Brendon
2014 Adventure Island

Samson Fish 120cm
Snapper 93cm
Bream 40cm
WA Dhufish 93cm
Flathead 45 cm
Australian Salmon 80cm
Silver Trevally 42cm
John Dory 50 cm (approx)
Mulloway 119cm

yakkingbrendon
Local
Kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 12 and Hobie Revolution 13

Post by yakkingbrendon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:52 pm

Bloody good if they have Jamie
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 12 , Hobie Revolution 13 , https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

nobrandbali
Kayak: the blues Evo 495

Post by nobrandbali » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:25 am

saw a boat with 2 men taking undersize kingie at norah head the other week, try to call the fishery but forget the phone leave in the car

Trumpet1
Local
Kayak: Hobie oasis

Post by Trumpet1 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:30 pm

I saw 2 guys in a tinnie using a cast net near the jetty at St Helena on Sunday. They pulled up about 30 small yakkas in one throw. I knew the island itself was inside a green zone but was not sure how far out it extended so I didn't feel comfortable saying anything. Checking it this week they were definitely inside it. I'm sure they knew what they were doing as well as my mate paddled over to say hello and said it was like they were almost expecting him to have a go at them for something. Now I know what.
Flathead 59 cm, bream 27 cm, Tailor 6 (yes six) cm,

Indiedog
Legend

Post by Indiedog » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:58 am

Just came back from a couple of days up at DI and on both days saw the same family collecting copious quantities of pippies. You could see a long stretch of beach where they had dug them up. A few of them were carrying buckets and these were full. I just checked the bag limit and 50 is it per person. I have no idea how many were taken but it would appear a few hundred at least just by what I saw each day. These guys were not fishing, just collecting the pippies. Not sure if any laws were broken but it didn't seem like the pippies were being collected for "personal" use. Another case of infinite resources until they're gone?

On my drive I did not see any rangers or fisheries guys so no reports given.

salticrak
Legend
Kayak: Tokoloshe

Post by salticrak » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Indiedog wrote:Just came back from a couple of days up at DI and on both days saw the same family collecting copious quantities of pippies. You could see a long stretch of beach where they had dug them up. A few of them were carrying buckets and these were full. I just checked the bag limit and 50 is it per person. I have no idea how many were taken but it would appear a few hundred at least just by what I saw each day. These guys were not fishing, just collecting the pippies. Not sure if any laws were broken but it didn't seem like the pippies were being collected for "personal" use. Another case of infinite resources until they're gone?

On my drive I did not see any rangers or fisheries guys so no reports given.
I have been to the Office at the barge concerning groups of Asians doing exactly that.The rangers office did not seem interested and said it was up to fisheries. FFS.They took a statement and my details but have heard nada,this was over a year ago now.
Sponsored by Baboon Salve,sale now on..https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBYVdt ... 5lE6ZIitAg

BIGKEV
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth Evolution 495 - Blue Bagger

Post by BIGKEV » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:06 pm

Yep they get desperate for the pippies. The photo below is a corolla at the cutting on Xmas day, bright spark tried to take it on the beach. There were about 20 others waiting up where you let your tyres down. I saw the same guy a few days later with a group of 30 or more and I suspect they were taking hundreds if not thousands pippies, they had managed to find more suitable vehicles this time but I reckon there must have been at least 10 per car. Regos taken and reported to fishwatch, unaware if anything came from it though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead, it only affects the people close to you. It's the same when you're stupid.

Indiedog
Legend

Post by Indiedog » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:17 pm

Seems like you guys saw the same people I saw. I've called DAF but without any photos or car rego they won't be able to do much. With a bit more pressure from guys like us they may pull their fingers out so keep at them.

I've put the Fishwatch number in my phone now. 1800 017 116.

salticrak
Legend
Kayak: Tokoloshe

Post by salticrak » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:27 pm

Their response just seems pretty pisspoor. Get caught without a permit/blah,blah it's a fine for sure.Fuck em.
Sponsored by Baboon Salve,sale now on..https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBYVdt ... 5lE6ZIitAg

Indiedog
Legend

Post by Indiedog » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:22 pm

BIGKEV wrote:Yep they get desperate for the pippies. The photo below is a corolla at the cutting on Xmas day, bright spark tried to take it on the beach. There were about 20 others waiting up where you let your tyres down. I saw the same guy a few days later with a group of 30 or more and I suspect they were taking hundreds if not thousands pippies, they had managed to find more suitable vehicles this time but I reckon there must have been at least 10 per car. Regos taken and reported to fishwatch, unaware if anything came from it though.
Meant to say well done on that too.