Clothing for cooler weather

The place for safety related topics
roastman
Kayak: Malibu Stealth 9

Clothing for cooler weather

Post by roastman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:49 am

Sorry if I have missed any posts about this (did a quick search), but I was what recommendations people have for fishing on a kayak in cooler weather. My new kayak sits quite low and based on first tests (admittedly in a swimming pool, while I practice getting abck into it after tipping), it seems to be a very wet kayak. The scuppers around my feet seem to let a bit of water in easily, so I may get wet feet quite easily. With cooler weather approaching, I was wondering what people tend to wear on the kayak to keep warm, but not get too layered that you are wearing very heavy clothes? I won't be fishing very cold areas (I am in Qld, so it won't get too cold!), but am conscious of the need to stay warm on the water. I am a kayak newbie, so any advice would be appreciated. At the moment I have a new little kayak, fitted a decent rod holder and purchased a good PDF, but I am keeping the fiout minimal to ensure the kayak is not too cluttered.
I would like to avoid a wetsuit if possible, as they are a nuisance to get in and out of. It is mostly the bottom half I am concerned about. How do you keep your feet warm but dry? I could probably live with cold legs (just throw a pair of shorts on) provided my feet and upper body are warm.

geoffw
Frother
Kayak: outback

Re: Clothing for cooler weather

Post by geoffw » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:36 am

Have a look at dry pants with sock. There are a couple to choose from on net. I have the Lovig. They do a great job.
Fish' n fun

laneends
Kayak: Hobies ivory revo 16 red quest 13 Ivory quest 11

Post by laneends » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:21 pm

When the water temps drop (in vic) I use dry pants (lovigs/kokotats) with oversize runners with thick socks. I hang my feet over the side a lotAlso wear neoprene paddle shorts under dry pants for extra padding and to absorb any seepage that may run down your back. Used to just keep pants on but they always get a bit damp even if only from sweat. Thermals in cooler weather.

A zipped wetsuit top only, fleece over and and waterproof jacket of some kind preferably with a tightening cuff, neoprene cuffs ideal. The wet suit top is mainly to give an extra margin in case you do take a dunk, it will reduce odds of hypothermia. In warmer times (which maybe all the time in QLD) substitute wet suit top for a rashie.

Frill neck turban cap. Maybe a buff if only to keep cool breeze off your neck.

FishnDive
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth PF525_Fisha 460_Toura 17_Pinnacle Elite

Post by FishnDive » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:31 pm

If you get wet during your launch, I wouldn't go a rashie, unless it's a polypro one. They act like a coolgardie fridge out of water when wet - how often have you seen kids shivering on the beach on a hot day?
Adrenalin 2P are a great lightweight thermal top & pant, they are based up north so I'm sure there would be another dealer up your way. As Geoff said a pair of kokotat or loving dry pants should see you right. On those 50/50 days it's better to be hot and bothered than cold and emotional :D
Eoin (Owen)

killer
Barfly
Kayak: Pro Fisha 525

Post by killer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:45 pm

Sharkskin gear keeps you tostie .
I have a top & socks & not complaining .
Cheers killer.

roastman

Post by roastman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:03 pm

Thanks to all for the advice. My first trip will be more about trying to learn how to control the kayak and focus on paddling efficiently and then I can get into some serious fishing. I have already decided to only fish soft plastics, so will need to find some smart choice for how to store the limited tackle that I will be taking onboard. The Malibu Stealth 9 has a reasonable size bait well under my legs that will hold bream etc, but keeping anything larger will be a challenge, so I will need to start thinking about how to get around these little issues. All advice is greatly appreciated.

robwho
Local
Kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by robwho » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:50 pm

Dry pants with built in socks, jacket with cuffs, and headgear. I also use Sealskinz mittens with fold back mitten for when I need to do fine work such as tying knots.
sealskinz_mitten.jpg
1211428_300_2-500x500.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert White Hobie Outback

roastman

Post by roastman » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:26 pm

Thanks.... My hands don't worry me so much, but both the lower and upper half of my body are my concern. Plenty of good ideas here!

roastman

Post by roastman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:38 pm

The humble beanie is a must...

Wrassemagnet
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth PF575, Hobie Revo, Hobie Oasis

Post by Wrassemagnet » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:57 pm

In Sydney winter for my base layers I use between 1 and 3 polypropylene thermal top layers, 1 polypropylene thermal bottom, pair of long woollen socks. For the outside layer I use drypants with socks (kokotat) and paddling top with cuffed neck and wrists (kokotat). I also have a buff around the neck and a beanie on top. I like to wear nylon shorts with pockets over the top of the drypants just so I have pants pockets. I use zip up diving booties on my feet and I use ordinary fingerless sailing gloves but I will look at the sealskinz mittens now thanks robwho!

I don't launch through surf so I guess this exact getup wouldn't be appropriate for you mate but hope it helps.
Jim

FishnDive
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth PF525_Fisha 460_Toura 17_Pinnacle Elite

Post by FishnDive » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:36 pm

Wrassemagnet wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:57 pm
In Sydney winter for my base layers I use between 1 and 3 polypropylene thermal top layers, 1 polypropylene thermal bottom, pair of long woollen socks. For the outside layer I use drypants with socks (kokotat) and paddling top with cuffed neck and wrists (kokotat). I also have a buff around the neck and a beanie on top. I like to wear nylon shorts with pockets over the top of the drypants just so I have pants pockets. I use zip up diving booties on my feet and I use ordinary fingerless sailing gloves but I will look at the sealskinz mittens now thanks robwho!

I don't launch through surf so I guess this exact getup wouldn't be appropriate for you mate but hope it helps.
Nailed it for down south Jim. I wear pretty much the exact same. I've come off in the surf wearing it and found that as long as the kokotat pants are sealing against your skin, not clothing they don't let much in if you have to swim. It was 9 degrees that morning, I got back on, launched and paddled 25kms afterwards staying warm without any dramas.
Eoin (Owen)

avayak
Local
Kayak: Hobie Revolution 13 Stealth Profisha 525

Post by avayak » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:22 pm

You can still wear the dry pants when the weather warms up. A pair of boardies and polyprope socks underneath iis all you need.
I like the way the dry pants keep the blood and salt off you. After a midweek morning session just take them off and drive to work.

roastman

Post by roastman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks everyone... Looks like dry pants are a must. The Hobie store is the only one that I have found in Brisbane that stocks them, so may need to take a trip to the other side of town. I have bought a set of "water shoes" that drain quickly, so will see if I can get a thermal sock that fits underneath. I think if your head and feet are warm, it makes a huge difference. I will only launch from calm areas, so should not get too drenched on top (provided I can keep the kayak upright, which may be a challenge for a beginner). Heading off this weekend to Tweed, so this will be my first chance to use the kayak for real, rather than just practicing re-entry in the pool. We are staying at Tweed Billabong in our caravan, so I can get a couple of hours practice in the park in the billabong, before hitting the Tweed River. I'll try getting my paddling technique working well, then add the rod while floating on the billabong (the billabong in the caravan park is absolutely packed with huge bream), then see if I can get a flattie out on the river. Cannot wait!