Another Profisha 525! This is mine….

Show off your rigged kayak or tell us what you think of your new gear
PBAL
Kayak: Stealth Profisha 525

Another Profisha 525! This is mine….

Post by PBAL » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:34 pm

After a couple months wait for delivery of my new Stealth Profisha 525 from AKS, I was very impressed with my new weapon of choice!

Dennis was fantastic to deal with, answering many questions from a kayak fishing newbie, having recently upgraded from my Seadoo Jetski after deciding to sell it. Not wanting to miss mackerel season (along with a lot of estuary fishing I do), I needed something to fill the void and so far the Stealth has done so.

Living at the north end of Palm Beach on the Goldy, access to the reef is convenient fortunately and somewhere I'll continue to frequent often!

Dennis did a few minor mods to the yak before I took possession including a Hobie rear hatch lid, upgraded cable swages, re-rigging rod holder in front of right foot well and access port inside fish hatch plus transducer mount for my Lowrance Elite 5 Chirp sounder.

Next mod (since I still don't have roof racks yet!) was to build a 'tow bar' for my beach bike so I could ride the couple of blocks up to the beach
Works a treat and saves my arms dragging it up there on the wheelz by hand!

Pics below of the sounder install for anyone interested but one last pic of it in action last week….many more fish to come I hope!

stealthfisha
Legend
Kayak: STEALTH PROFISHA 525

Re: Another Profisha 525! This is mine….

Post by stealthfisha » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:47 pm

Sweet

PBAL

Post by PBAL » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:48 pm

I decided to use the Talon mount for the Lowrance unit mainly because it allows a quick attachment/detachment and with a second transducer I can use it on my old runabout boat.
The problem with the Elite 5 is the cables don't work with the Talon mount (designed for Elite 4):

So the two holes have to be opened up (the plastic is quite hard so a tungsten carbide bit on a die grinder made fast work of it followed by a sanding flap wheel to smooth it out). Three holes have to be drilled in the yak (its only fibreglass after all!) ;)

With the battery mounted in a Kinchrome box from Bunnings combined with some waterproof plugs and electrical connection anti corrosion spray, things were coming together (sorry I forgot the name of the fellow I met at the AKS think tank session that showed me his battery box idea which I stole!) (ps battery is bigger than needed but I had it laying around as a backup for my jet ski sounder)

Heavy duty adhesive backed velcro on the battery box and in the fish hatch under the seat has kept the box in place even in a rollover coming back in the surf.

So after getting out through the waves I just reach in and pass the cables up through the holes
And some 7/8in blanking grommets keep water out during launch/re-entry

Hooked up and ready to go

Fortunately the Talon mount makes the unit move easily when needed (mainly gets in the way when removing rods from the fish hatch), but otherwise the compromise seems to be worth it for now. The split screen integrated GPS and sounder makes it easy for me to mark permanent structure like pinnacles or temporary marks like bait balls etc.

Cheers
Al

missingdna
Local
Kayak: WS pamlico-profisha 525-pinnacle elite

Post by missingdna » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:54 pm

sweet ride.....
seems the 525 is flavour of the year

BadMotorFinger
Local

Post by BadMotorFinger » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:55 pm

Great set up. You got it all. Location, wheelz and slick yak.

bertros
Legend
Kayak: Revo 13 + AI

Post by bertros » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:00 pm

Like this much. Well done, and great sounder install for surf launches!
Yak PB's: Australian Salmon - 70cm; Bream - 40cm; Bonito - 62cm; cobia - 81cm; Estuary Perch - 32.5cm; Flathead - 57cm; Groper - 50cm; Kingfish - 108cm; Mulloway - 130cm; Snapper - 60cm; Spotted Mack - 110cm; Squid (hood) - 34cm; Tailor - 50cm; Silver Trevally - 41cm; Whiting - 39cm

JamieD
Local
Kayak: Stealth

Post by JamieD » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:27 pm

Congratulations on the new ride , they are sweet as and smooth

Spanky
Kayak: Stealth Profisha 575

Post by Spanky » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:59 pm

Great looking ski... and a nice neat sounder install too! Nice work ;)
The battery box is a great idea... I'm doing something similar but on a much smaller scale. Can you tell me where you get the HD velcro from?

PBAL

Post by PBAL » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:18 pm

HD velcro was from bunnings as well - was a clear hook and loop type setup (not the furry type velcro). they had two weight options, I went for the heaviest one they had (holds up to 10lbs). It was Scotch/3m Extreme brand from memory.

unsinkable2
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 + Old Town Vapor + Viking 2+1

Post by unsinkable2 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:32 pm

Sweet set up!
Cheers, Owen.
Best yak captures:
~40kg 165cm cobia, 176cm/35kg big dawg, 107cm longtail, 87cm snapper, 49cm mangrove jack, 57cm kingy, 55cm yella, 45cm bass, 65cm trophy grinner and a bigger moses perch than nezevic

Spanky
Kayak: Stealth Profisha 575

Post by Spanky » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:17 am

PBAL wrote:HD velcro was from bunnings as well - was a clear hook and loop type setup (not the furry type velcro). they had two weight options, I went for the heaviest one they had (holds up to 10lbs). It was Scotch/3m Extreme brand from memory.
Cheers mate... will suss out the local tomorrow and see if I can track some down. I'm going to be running a 4 pack of 18650 li-ions in a sealed tackle box... the velcro should keep it nice and secure! ;)

Indiedog
Legend
Kayak: PF475 BFS

Post by Indiedog » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:07 am

Looks good mate. Just a tip with the velcro. Don't just put it on the face which is to be fixed down, make sure you continue the velcro and wrap it around and up the ends/sides of the battery box or whatever. The velcro is much less likely to get pulled off the battery box this way.
I caught a hairtail. Weird looking phucker.

http://www.arcoeco.com.au

PBAL

Post by PBAL » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:03 pm

Thanks Indiedog, I get what you are saying. Cheers for the tip

killer
Barfly
Kayak: Pro Fisha 525

Post by killer » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:10 pm

Enjoy!

SatDiver
Kayak: Superlite BFS 4-7

Post by SatDiver » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:24 am

Hi mate,
Great looking Stealth, looks like its going 100mph standing still...especially the bike hook up, bloody good idea!
I have a Stealth also and live near Tugun, if you want a fishing buddy anytime through the week let me know!
Cheers Steve