My New Ride - Mirage 583

Show off your rigged kayak or tell us what you think of your new gear
Paulb
Local
Kayak: Mirage 583

My New Ride - Mirage 583

Post by Paulb » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:46 pm

Some 10 months back, I started looking for the lightest and fastest ski/kayak that was still possible to fish from. Something I could throw on the car at short notice, get out on the water, out to the marks and back, quickly. Something that felt really good to paddle, but still could give some basic fishing options whilst exercising. I can't bring myself to go out without at least a rod - or possibly a handline.

The genuine ski's such as Epics and Stellar's were just too tippy or restricted to fish from - fast and light though. I tried the Mirage 583, which is an open deck version of their sit in sea kayak, and went on a few test paddles in summer and felt very comfortable and stable (but without a fishing rod....). There was enough open deck space, plus a large rear hatch, and I had seen photo's of one fully decked out for fishing. I knew the kayak could be built very light and paddle well, but was very unsure whether there would be enough stability to hang on to a decent fish.

I wasn't sure whether the paddle clamps would be a good idea or not, but went ahead and ordered them along with the kayak, as well as requesting some extra strengthening on the rear deck where they also fitted the Rail Blaza Star Port HD's, plus a couple of grab ropes on the sides. I added the bungy.

So the results.

Day 1 - Very excited to receive my new ride. Tipped the scales at 18kg exactly, including all the fittings. Paddled in the shallows around the harbour and spent an hour or two practicing putting the paddle in the clamps. Only fell in once, when I tired to straddle the kayak and simply slipped off - kayak stable, owner not.
IMG_111656.jpg
photo-11.JPG

Day 2 - Single rod, no other gear. Very lumpy conditions in the harbour, with the wave refraction from the cliffs hitting the inbound waves. No problems paddling, but a little uncertain when stationary, until I had the paddle in the clamp. Landed a tiny tailor for my efforts.

Day 3 - Open ocean and out in the dark into a very choppy sea. Fully kitted out with two rods, bait tube and whatever accessories I could stuff into a small bag strapped to the back deck. Thought I wouldn't need to use the paddle clamps whilst wringing out a wet towel - wrong! Fell out of the kayak, hadn't event started fishing.
Used the paddle clamps all the time after that - found them extremely useful as I could spin around and face the back of the kayak, retrieve stuff from the bag, tie knots and stuff around adjusting the rods, without losing balance. I did managed to hook a few small amberjacks (40 cm ish) and a borderline legal kingfish. I felt reasonably stable locking up on a kingfish of that size, as long as i had the rod pointing to the front of the kayak at all times. No more spills - GPS peaked at 17.5km/h coming in on a small swell - felt fast.

http://youtu.be/mVKUtIci-kM
G11662388.JPG

Day 4 - Open ocean - glass. Heavier gear this time, first hook-up was a horse of a fish, got the paddles in the clamps quickly, gradually upped the drag and let the fish swing the front of the yak 180 degree's around and as soon as I was pointing in the same direction as the fish thumbed the spool to stop any more line being taken. The result - a sleigh ride, 10 seconds of acceleration and planing, then the fish bricked me. Had one more unplanned swim, when I got a hit on my heavy gear, but there was a line wrap around the reel. Was pulled over before I realised what was happening, so didn't get to use the clamps and didn't counter balance properly - would have been a good test otherwise. Still landed the fish, but I won't reveal how small it was.........

Day 5 - Open ocean - glass. Perfect conditions to be paddling.

http://youtu.be/BV1QI6Cu2Uk

This time it all came together, landed a 75cm kingfish and a couple of amber jacks. Used the clamps, and with the rod pointing towards the bow at all time, was able to lock the drag and not feel like I was going to be pulled in.

Worked out the fish storage (dry bag in the front of the yak, with a leash in case I roll........ ). Moved the "day bag" to sit behind the rod holders, so nothing would interfere with putting the paddle in the clamps. Didn't fall in today !
So all in all I'm very happy - I think the kayak has done everything I hoped it would and slightly better than expected in all aspects. The paddle clamps I think are an essential for fishing, not so much for when you hook up, but more so when you're stuffing around with your fishing gear when stationary.
photo-6.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Paulb on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
123cm Cobia, 143cm Spanish Mackerel, 114.5cm Kingfish, 80cm Flathead, 75cm Bonito, 64cm Salmon, various sharks...., 40cm Bream, 78cm Snapper, 60cm LongTom, 51cm Tailor, 85cm squid, 160cm Hairtail, 70cm Samson Fish, 60cm Trevally, 70cm Blue Groper, Black Marlin ext. 40-50kg

Wrassemagnet
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth PF575, Hobie Revo, Hobie Oasis

Re: My New Ride - Mirage 583

Post by Wrassemagnet » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:55 pm

Happy for you mate and talk about fastest learning curve in the universe! Looks so good with the yellow tail bling to be sure.
Jim

awty
Barfly
Kayak: Sea kayakfishing skiplastic one

Post by awty » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:05 pm

WOW! nice boat.

How comfortable is it to straddle your leg over with a low seating potion? I can see in the photo you can at least hang your lower leg over.

Is there a front hatch to access the front compartment?
Paul

bertros
Legend
Kayak: Revo 13 + AI

Post by bertros » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:00 pm

Sexy steed Paul... i was going to give you the benefit of the doubt for one of them thinking you were just loading your fish bag in the swell. Those paddle clips though... awesome. I've not seen anything like that before but they make so much sense.
Yak PB's: Australian Salmon - 70cm; Bream - 40cm; Bonito - 62cm; cobia - 81cm; Estuary Perch - 32.5cm; Flathead - 57cm; Groper - 50cm; Kingfish - 108cm; Mulloway - 130cm; Snapper - 60cm; Spotted Mack - 110cm; Squid (hood) - 34cm; Tailor - 50cm; Silver Trevally - 41cm; Whiting - 39cm

crag
Kayak: kaskazi dorado11 Epic V7 others

Post by crag » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:31 pm

very, very nice. the 580 is on my wishlist. please keep us informed how she goes the more you use it. real keen on the Mirages.

Richo
Kayak: Mirage 583 Hobies Revo 11 Quest 11 Stealth Toura

Post by Richo » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:43 pm

Some great ideas to set the Freeride up for fishing Paul.
You have given me the inspiration to set mine up in a similar way.
They really are a sweet kayak to paddle aren't they.
Cheers, Richo.

avayak
Local
Kayak: Hobie Revolution 13 Stealth Profisha 525

Post by avayak » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:56 pm

She looked great out at Longy today Paul. It will only get better as you get the feel for the new ride.
583 sounded long initially to me but on the water it looks just right.

dru
Barfly
Kayak: Hobie TI: Stealth PF475: Zegul 550 (SIK): Carbonology Vault (surf ski)

Post by dru » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:25 pm

Now we are talking. Nice fishing yak, really cool skillset working it.
cheers,
Dru.

BadMotorFinger
Local

Post by BadMotorFinger » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:35 pm

Looks cool Paul. Nice fish as well. Is that the free style or fish version.

Have you ever fallen out of any of your other kayaks?

Paulb
Local

Post by Paulb » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:48 am

It's the Freeride version (Kevlar IRT), but with an extra layer of cloth where the back fittings go.. The Adventure or Custom fish have a front hatch, which might be useful if you want to mount something on the front and need to get inside the hull, but I'm not sure id try accessing the front hatch on the water as the bow gets pretty skinny up there. For me it was all about the weight.

And yes I've fallen our of and capsized my Hobie Revo but only twice in 6 years - obviously much harder to fall off something that's 72cm wide compared to 55.5cm - but at 18kg compared to 34kg my back thanks me!
123cm Cobia, 143cm Spanish Mackerel, 114.5cm Kingfish, 80cm Flathead, 75cm Bonito, 64cm Salmon, various sharks...., 40cm Bream, 78cm Snapper, 60cm LongTom, 51cm Tailor, 85cm squid, 160cm Hairtail, 70cm Samson Fish, 60cm Trevally, 70cm Blue Groper, Black Marlin ext. 40-50kg

Indiedog
Legend
Kayak: PF475 BFS

Post by Indiedog » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:01 am

Nice looking yak Paul. Sounds like a challenge to make it a suitable fishing platform but if you can get it happening that would just be so nice for zipping out to the reef on.

When you clip your paddle into the brackets are you adding a float or anything? Or just relying on the extra resistance of the flat blade (?) on the water? Could you fit a folding arm into the brackets so if you get a strike (or you're sure you're about to ;) ) you just reach behind and swing the arm out? Simply add it to the brackets for the fishing trips. Telescoping tube?
I caught a hairtail. Weird looking phucker.

http://www.arcoeco.com.au

Paulb
Local

Post by Paulb » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:24 pm

Indie - no floats just the flat blade of the paddle. Prior to using the kayak I had considered adding the Hobie Ama's - but now I don't think floaties are necessary not unless you want to do some stand up bream fishing.....

Wrassemagnet
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth PF575, Hobie Revo, Hobie Oasis

Post by Wrassemagnet » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:28 pm

Paulb wrote:...not unless you want to do some stand up bream fishing.....
You target bream, and standing up! from that honey redhead beauty and it's like, I dunno, flushing the toilet with champagne. Totally unworthy dude, wash your mind out with Omo.
Jim

IsoBar
Kayak: The Schmick

Post by IsoBar » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:35 pm

Great looking ski, congratz!
I was looking into that model when a friend of mine was planning his French Polynesia expedition. Didn't work out eventually (too expensive to bu and to get it there), but it definitely caught my attention (as someone who fish usually from his SIK for the same reasons).

Keep us updated in future TRs.

Cheers, Ido

keza
Frother
Kayak: Barracuda SoT Ultralight + OK Scupper Pro

Post by keza » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:21 pm

Looks good Paul, hard to get a look at it on the water because you are too bloody fast.
Same weight as the cuda without the console but I think she may be a bit faster.
Would love to try it some day when I'm in swimmers :-)
kerry
http://www.kerrywilson.net http://www.kerrywilson.net/blog instagram: kerrywi1son

yak pb's
kingfish 90cm, cobia 124cm flathead 65cm, snapper 80cm, salmon 63cm, trev 56cm, barracouta 75cm, YFT 65cm, spanish 20cm, hairtail 156cm, bonito 68cm, spotty 85cm, tailor 55cm, LTT 101cm, shark 2.5m