Lockracks review.

Show off your rigged kayak or tell us what you think of your new gear
scatter
Frother
Kayak: Stealth Pro Fisha 475

Lockracks review.

Post by scatter » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:15 pm

There's been a bit of discussion about these here but no actual review that I can remember so I thought I'd chuck one up. I've had mine now for a few months and probably done about 10 trips. I should say from the start that I have no commercial interest in the product or in the business of the distributor.I like to go for a paddle before work a few times a week. As I need to be in at my desk by 8:20am time is of the essence. Once there (I'm a high school teacher) I need the yak to be secure on the roof in front of the school.

Lockracks work by holding your yak on each side with a rubber-covered arm which locks into the base. The arm has a row of holes along one side that allow the mechanism to lock in. The base has a tapered pin (think the tongue of the lock on your front door) that allows the arm to move inward but not outward. A plastic key retracts this pin for removing the arm. The arms have a single hole on them on an adjacent face which locks them in the fully-in position when turned side-on:

By counting how many holes remain visible on each side it's easy to make sure the yak is centred and perfectly stright:

The rubber that covers the arm and the top of the base is quite soft and pliable so that the yak, while held securely, is protected. By placing the racks either side of the widest part of your yak, it can move neither forward nor back.

I wanted a solution that let me get the yak on and off the roof quickly and protected against theft. Lockracks do this very well. I'm not saying they're theft-proof but a prospective thief would have to work very hard to get the yak off, making a good amount of noise and probably damaging the yak in the process which would defeat the purpose of stealing it.

When I go fishing, the inner arms stay put in the upright position and the outer arms are turned sideways to release the yak. When I'm loading the yak after a session it's simply a matter of chucking it on the roof, slapping the outer arms in and I'm off. It's significantly quicker than the old process of standing on door frames and tyres to put cam-lock straps over the yak, under the rack and back over before tying off.

When not in use, all four arms are in the side-on position and the whole assembly adds about 40mm to your vehicle's height:

Pros:
1. Security - I reckon these are more secure than lockable straps and they really give me peace of mind when I'm leaving the yak on the car out the front of work. I also feel a lot better about putting the yak on the car the night before a trip so it's ready to go in the morning. These will also be great for comps like Adder Rock.
2. Speed - The process is definitely quicker with these than with straps. It might be only a few minutes but those count, especially if, like me, you always have to have one last cast or troll one last lap of the reef!
3. Gentle on the yak - The rubber on the lockracks is nice and soft and I think it's a bit more friendly to the yak than cinching it down tight onto a bare rack with a strap.
4. Ease of installation - The bolts (2 per rack) come attached to a base plate which slides straight into the channel on the top of the roof racks. I had a drill bit which fit the nut so it was a snack.
Cons:
1. Price - There's no getting around it, they aint cheap. They've come down in price since I bought mine, but they're still going to set you back close to $300. For my specific set of needs, they're definitely worth it, you'd just need to consider your own situation.
2. Size - Even with a svelte ski like the Pro Fisha (61cm wide) the elbows of the arms jut out past the middle of my racks and this cuts down on my ability to carry more than one yak. It's doable, but awkward.
Cheers, Sam

if you are the type of w$&ker that can't let it go for some reason I'd be more than happy for you to PM me for my address so I can head butt your F$&king face off. Fatbaldkayaker

ScreamingDrag
Kayak: Viking Nemo

Re: Lockracks review.

Post by ScreamingDrag » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:29 pm

Come teach at my school.... :D
Cheers,
Josh.

I got sick of seeing my incredibly small PB's here.

jbone
Barfly
Kayak: GT470 + EVO 495

Post by jbone » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:33 pm

I like me lockracks. Stripped two keys already though cause I am a forgetful bastard I find they work better spaced out than close together kayak gets a bit bouncy otherwise.

scatter
Frother

Post by scatter » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:37 pm

jbone wrote:I like me lockracks. Stripped two keys already though cause I am a forgetful bastard I find they work better spaced out than close together kayak gets a bit bouncy otherwise.
Good call, I have my racks as far apart as they'll go.
Cheers, Sam

if you are the type of w$&ker that can't let it go for some reason I'd be more than happy for you to PM me for my address so I can head butt your F$&king face off. Fatbaldkayaker

GlassedOff
Kayak: Stealth profisha

Post by GlassedOff » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:15 pm

I say if you can afford a set grab em, so simple and easy to use, i went to adder with rayL in his car and he had his lockrack and i had to revert back to strapping mine down and i must say NEVER AGAIN lol you can bash strapping em down fair up your khyber pass, next time i car pool I'll organise it earlier to bolt my lockracks on.......

Rayl
Barfly
Kayak: 525

Post by Rayl » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:58 pm

Whinger!

Spanky
Kayak: Stealth Profisha 575

Post by Spanky » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:25 pm

How is the rubber with leaving marks on the hull... I had some prorack cradles on my car and they always used to leave black rubber marks on the hull... took them off because I got sick of having to clean the hull... do the lockracks leave any marks??

scatter
Frother

Post by scatter » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:38 pm

None whatsoever.
Cheers, Sam

Spanky
Kayak: Stealth Profisha 575

Post by Spanky » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:54 pm

Awesome... might have to look into getting some.

bruus
Kayak: Stealth Pro Fisha 525 and hobie adventure island

Post by bruus » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:48 pm

I haven't heard anything bad about these so far. Would they be able to fit roof racks without the center strips? Such as my cheap option ones.

scatter
Frother

Post by scatter » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:00 pm

Chuck a photo up mate.
Cheers, Sam

killer
Barfly
Kayak: Pro Fisha 525

Post by killer » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:53 am

I'm very happy with mine , you just have to make sure the plastic key is pushed right in so that it does not strip .

Cheers
Killer.

ratfish
Kayak: AI + Mini x

Post by ratfish » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:55 pm

Given a few recent stories of bolt cutters making short work of a couple of boat lock chains at my caravan park let alone my kanulock straps this might be a good holiday option, thanks for the post scatter.

Zorba
Kayak: Stealth BFS Perception Swing

Post by Zorba » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:02 pm

bruus wrote:I haven't heard anything bad about these so far. Would they be able to fit roof racks without the center strips? Such as my cheap option ones.
I have seen Dennis screw his lockracks directly to the ladder racks on his ute

mehi
Barfly
Kayak: A striped one and a yellow one

Post by mehi » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:41 am

Brought a set of these on Friday off Dennis sensational product. The ease of loading and the piece of mind of how secure your rig is, a big plus for this product Although I haven't tried yet but by using Lockrack it would be now possible to carry two yaks at once
Do yourself a favour and check these out you wouldn't be disappointed if you purchased a set
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Number one thing guys Enjoy yourself at all costs

Cheers Dave