Clarkski GT470

Show off your rigged kayak or tell us what you think of your new gear
salticrak
Legend
Kayak: Tokoloshe

Clarkski GT470

Post by salticrak » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:33 am

I have added another steed to my stable of thoroughbreds. The gt 470 from Erics/Clarkski. She will hopefully do the job she was made for with as much aplomb as my other two yaks do.
I bought her as a demo model from Ritchie who is in the process of setting up a business importing this brand of ski to Australia.
On first impressions you get the idea that she is built for the surf.She has a large voluminous nose and curvy with a V shaped bow and a blunt booty.Plenty of rocker too.I like big nosed women like Uma Therman, strong features.
She is definitely feminine,her lines not so much shout it but rather smoulder their intentions.
Having studied design I was captivated by the transition of the V'eed bow to the planing surface tapering to the huge skeg and rudder at the blunt stern.
Dat V.jpg
The deck layout is minimalist as it should be for a surf capable yak.The hardware on board is common to all South African skis.I did not like the hatch straps that came with the yak.They where those clip buckles you get on back packs.Just not good enough in my opinion, so I bought some bungee loops and studs to replace the original hatch fasteners.My method allows you to quickly close the lid with one hand. The hatch has no rubber seal, even so this setup was able to keep the water ingress to an acceptable level.
bungy.jpg
I had problems with the rudder pedals popping out in the the surf when taking a tumble,but this was due to my habit of keeping my feet in the straps and getting dragged by the yak in the foamies.This is stupid and have now keep my feet out of the straps in the surf.Tying off the adjustable chord has also helped prevent this once I had a pedal position worked out for myself.
curvy.jpg
The cockpit is deep.This means a lower centre of gravity for more stability.large venturi scuppers drain the water quickly from the footwells.
On my first launch in this yak at Yaroomba,wich can be a tricky launch I felt comfortable straight up,the greater width was new to me.
She is a very responsive ski in the surf.The massive rudder and skeg arrangement guarantee this.Direction control with the paddle is also good.She is quick enough to do what is asked of a ski in the surf.Tracking down a wave is what this thing is made for. The hollow closing out waves I encounter on most of my surf launches are a challenge, the v in the bow helps keep her nose up,I am yet to ''submarine'' her coming back thru the surf even with a few fish in the hatch.Early days though,but I get the impression she won't go down for just any ole wave.
PC020031.JPG
Out on the open water the ride is comfortable and getting to various parts of the yak is easy.Sidesaddling is fine.It would take a lot of work to tip her out on the water.Two 5hr trips plus a 3hr one in a row had me wanting to ride her again.She is a lovely yak and a most accomplished all rounder.
Oh,BTW her name is ''candigirl'' it so happens that's Ritchies girlfriends name is Candice :twisted:
bars and stripes.jpg
PB270045.JPG
Sponsored by Baboon Salve,sale now on..https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBYVdt ... 5lE6ZIitAg

Gbc
Barfly
Kayak: Paddleyak Kingfisher
Rosco canadian
Emotion Exhilarator

Re: Clarkski GT470

Post by Gbc » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:27 am

like. It would be nice to have a surf specific boat.

cjbfisher
Frother
Kayak: Some

Post by cjbfisher » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:48 am

Looks good Salti. In the pic of Wayne, she looks like she sits quite high in the water, and would be affected by the wind a bit. It would be good to see it next to a BFS to see the similarities/differences.

redgreg

Post by redgreg » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:04 am

You looked very pleased to be out the back,(hard work)drive a man to drink ha ha

krustayshen
Local
Kayak: Dusta

Post by krustayshen » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:42 am

I enjoyed the video Salti.

I was on the beach preparing to launch when you paddled out that day and was amazed that a tubby old ground parrot like your good self could make it look so easy, but to see the video of you puffing and panting is a true indication of what it is like.

Nice ski.

stealthfisha
Legend
Kayak: STEALTH PROFISHA 525

Post by stealthfisha » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:23 am

Mate that is an excellent video...
I was watching g with great amusement and interest
I counted over 12 waves just to get out back?....mongrel beach !
Big effort getting out....ya gotta stop smoking ya bloody mug ! :)
Ill call you this morning....turn ya phone on!

yaqdoq
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth

Post by yaqdoq » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:30 am

Good stuff salti , looking comfortable astride candigirl . :)
Your fitness ...... . . . . . . :roll:

BIGKEV
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth Evolution 495 - Blue Bagger

Post by BIGKEV » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:42 am

cjbfisher wrote:Looks good Salti. In the pic of Wayne, she looks like she sits quite high in the water, and would be affected by the wind a bit.
I bet it doesn't get blown around with Salti sitting in the saddle
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead, it only affects the people close to you. It's the same when you're stupid.

awty
Barfly
Kayak: Sea kayakfishing skiplastic one

Post by awty » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:09 am

Very nice Salti. Looks like they made a few improvements on the Kingy, looks to be less cockpit volume so will carry less water when going through the surf, also the hatch is slightly higher. The kingy is lower profile and more sleeker which is good for where I fish (dont do many surf launches).

Are they just selling the GT470 or do they have other models as well?
Paul

scatter
Frother
Kayak: Stealth Pro Fisha 475

Post by scatter » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:52 am

stealthfisha wrote:Mate that is an excellent video...
I was sitting there thinking "gee that looks like an easy day at the boneyard". That place.
Cheers, Sam

if you are the type of w$&ker that can't let it go for some reason I'd be more than happy for you to PM me for my address so I can head butt your F$&king face off. Fatbaldkayaker

salticrak
Legend

Post by salticrak » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:24 pm

Gbc wrote:like. It would be nice to have a surf specific boat.
Mate this is what i have found in the gt,it makes sense up the boneyard.
awty wrote:Very nice Salti. Looks like they made a few improvements on the Kingy, looks to be less cockpit volume so will carry less water when going through the surf, also the hatch is slightly higher. The kingy is lower profile and more sleeker which is good for where I fish (dont do many surf launches).

Are they just selling the GT470 or do they have other models as well?
yes mate, a fast sleek thing called the spaniard,rumoured to be the fastest ski on the market.
@ krustayshen ground parrot you say?
Sponsored by Baboon Salve,sale now on..https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBYVdt ... 5lE6ZIitAg

Dean

Post by Dean » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:02 pm

Looks sweet and sleek, 2nd to last photo looks like a torpedo.

stealthfisha
Legend
Kayak: STEALTH PROFISHA 525

Post by stealthfisha » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:49 pm

scatter wrote:
stealthfisha wrote:Mate that is an excellent video...
I was sitting there thinking "gee that looks like an easy day at the boneyard". That place.
The best part is the original video is 4 minutes long getting out past the sets! :shock:

DaveAndo

Post by DaveAndo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:54 pm

Looks the goods Boet. So how much effort goes into getting her gliding. Looks stable also show us a picture of the skeg.

salticrak
Legend

Post by salticrak » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:59 pm

DaveAndo wrote:Looks the goods Boet. So how much effort goes into getting her gliding. Looks stable also show us a picture of the skeg.
no worries cobber.
skeg.jpg
skeg.jpg
hull.jpg