Re: Clarkski GT470

Post by sharknett » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:53 am

Very nice.

salticrak
Legend
Kayak: Tokoloshe

Post by salticrak » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:20 am

So as Fraser Island is fast approaching I have decided to remove the FF from my Hobie and install it in the GT.When I bought my yak it did not have the hatch lid or trannie cut out. The newer yaks all have this already done.
There is a bulkhead behind the day hatch and in front of the rudder hatch that is a sealed space perfect for ease of access trannie and battery placement.

After measuring I cut a hole in the deck with a jigsaw and used a drill with a flap grinder to ream out the cut.
P4140124.JPG
Now the tricky part to cut out the interior layer of glass that forms the inner lining of the bulkhead.Cut too deep and you go thru the hull.I used a multi- tool with a saw attachment. The cut is just large enough to house a trannie for a garmin echo 300c. It's a bit rough looking but perfection is not required here. The cutout means the trannie only needs to shoot thru one skin of glass.
P4140123.JPG
I embedded the trannie in sikaflex 291.This stuff sticks like shit to a blanket.I first made sure that the gap between the interior glass skin and the hull was sealed with sika.

I drilled a hole thru the forward facing bulkhead for the Finder cables.I needed to splice on some tinned marine wire as the power cable was too short.
P4150135.JPG
On the Clarkeskis that have this done already the exit hole for the FF cables exits under the seat. I decided to run the cables under the footwell between the hull and the fishbox. the cables exit the inner skin just in front of the footwell. Reason being i always get my stuff tangled in the hatch,also the higher placement of the exit hole provides for easier access and keeps it away from water in the fishbox.
P4150130.JPG
To pull the wires thru i used some fencing wire pushed thru,took a bit of language and dexterity but using another piece of hooked wire I was able to pull the wire thru the exit hole. The ease of access to the batteries and the ability to visually check the trannie is a winner for me in this install.
I have a flush mount lid for the FF head that i will use for this install.Hopefully this way the plugs will not have to be removed and will allow for longer life span.
Sponsored by Baboon Salve,sale now on..https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBYVdt ... 5lE6ZIitAg

scatter
Frother
Kayak: Stealth Pro Fisha 475

Post by scatter » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:45 am

Mate if you're leaving the wires attached permanently you should fill the plugs with silicone dielectric grease to help stop corrosion.
Cheers, Sam

if you are the type of w$&ker that can't let it go for some reason I'd be more than happy for you to PM me for my address so I can head butt your F$&king face off. Fatbaldkayaker

Cav
Barfly
Kayak: A Big Black One

Post by Cav » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:48 am

Thanks for this Crak, it has given me some stuff to think about in regards to Wala wala's 560.
I think your way of running the cabling in the side rail is probably a better one than the way me and Wala had thought of, especially if your penetrations are nice and high it will reduce the chance of water ingress occurring between the fish box and day/dry storage.

And for the other 560 owners out there, from what I saw yesterday I don't believe you will be able to install a hatch on the back deck like Salti has done on the GT as it looks like the 560 has an internal foam stringer that runs from behind the dry storage to the arse of the ski, so unless you're willing to notch this stringer out, the best spot for your transducer is going to be either in the dry storage or in front of the foot wells.

salticrak
Legend

Post by salticrak » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:06 pm

flush mount all done.scatter thnx man i will put some of that grease in the terminals for sure.Cav,walawala yaks day hatch is huge,so i reckon you could fit a dead hippie in there too,good luck bro. :D
P4160139.jpg
Sponsored by Baboon Salve,sale now on..https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBYVdt ... 5lE6ZIitAg

benjaay
Kayak: Evo495, plastic river basher

Post by benjaay » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:40 pm

schmick.

Lazybugger
Frother
Kayak: Stealth ProFisha 525

Post by Lazybugger » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:50 pm

What do you catch on dead hippies?

salticrak
Legend

Post by salticrak » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:21 pm

hagfish/grouper/blowfish

BIGKEV
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth Evolution 495 - Blue Bagger

Post by BIGKEV » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:14 pm

Hippies make the hatch stink
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead, it only affects the people close to you. It's the same when you're stupid.

jbone
Barfly
Kayak: GT470 + EVO 495

Post by jbone » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:41 am

Clean install mateee

stealthfisha
Legend
Kayak: STEALTH PROFISHA 525

Post by stealthfisha » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:58 am

Yep very professional finish salti....

Kudos mate

salticrak
Legend

Post by salticrak » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:05 am

stealthfisha wrote:Yep very professional finish salti....

Kudos mate
you blowin' smoke up my ass now? ;)

stealthfisha
Legend
Kayak: STEALTH PROFISHA 525

Post by stealthfisha » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:05 pm

salticrak wrote:
stealthfisha wrote:Yep very professional finish salti....

Kudos mate
you blowin' smoke up my ass now? ;)
wasn't gunna be smoke ;)