Angler Electric Yak

Show off your rigged kayak or tell us what you think of your new gear
millzee
Kayak: Hobie Outback Lifetime angler

Angler Electric Yak

Post by millzee » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:23 am

Howdy again,
I have a goal of fishing about 1km off Port Macquarie fishing Bird Rock for greenback taylor and the odd kingie during the day and then fishing the north and south wall at night when we go for our holidays. After paddling around a couple of years ago I decided I wanted to stick an electric motor on the yak to make my life a little easier but the stock motor mount made things very uncomfortable.
I've had my yak in the shed ever since with all good intentions of finishing it off and I've finally finished getting most of it done. I ordered a set of foot steering peddles although thanks to the courier that haven't arrived yet and we're going to Inverloch on Monday so I whipped up a hand steer set up so I can take it with us to try out.
I modified the stock motor mount so the motor will be in the centre at the rear allowing a "rudder style" peddle system to work for foot steering. The yak is ran off a 90AH deep cycle marine battery that I have mounted under my seat, this way the COG is much better than with the battery on the motor mount. The motor is a 34lb thrust watersnake and I've removed the head and at this point it will sit in beside my seat with bullet connectors attaching the wires so it's easy to remove for transport / cleaning. The motor also has bullet connectors for the same reasons and is also very easy to remove. My temporary steering set up is a simple rail mount for a rod holder that I modified to fit a galvanised gate part with a swivel wheel (minus the wheel) that a extendable broom handle bolts into. It's a very simple push, pull steering set up that'll do the job until the other parts arrive.
I decided to install a Lowrance 4X finder to help me chase down a few fish and let me know the depth I'll be fishing. The yak has 3x 12v plugs, 1 up front for flood lights ect, 1 next to the sounder for easy access between my legs and 1 in a waterproof box that's stored in the hull behind the battery. To fit the battery I cut a hole in the rear seat, this has created a large access into the hull and helped make all my mods possible. I will fill the hull with pool noodles to ensure it won't sink in the event of a turn over, I realise water will get in with the rubber mat that's covering the hole in the pic's. I think I'll try to get a 30-40mm thick flexible foam/rubber piece and make a plug before I go offshore.
I had a solar panel in the shed so I've wired it up so it can sit up the front trickle charging the battery while I fish during the day and be easily removed and the wires used for lights at night. I will do a bit of night fishing each year on holidays so I soldered up 4x 1m waterproof LED strips, 2x red - Port and 2x green- starboard. They light up very bright and should have me seen on the water from a good distance and are switched on/off by a waterproof switch next to the sounder.
I'll be attaching my tackle bag behind me over the "boot" hole with the rubber mat on it and an esky upfront leaving just enough room to plug in a 12v plug, this should leave me enough room to land fish.
The Lifetime Angler seems to be a very stable yak, I can stand up on it and move around without feeling like it's going to tip me off. It was lacking hull entry points so I've added a round port hole in the front seat, this allowed me to run wires ect. I'll leave a small area clear from pool noodles to turn it into a small storage area.
Please feel free to point out anything that you experience kayakers may pick up that I've over looked,
Thanks for taking the time to have a look.
Danny

Lazybugger
Frother
Kayak: Stealth ProFisha 525

Re: Angler Electric Yak

Post by Lazybugger » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:04 am

I'll point out my firm belief that a setup like that has no place offshore. All that extra.weight totally changes dynamics of kayak. A wave from the wrong direction will see you capsized. Good luck turning the yak back over with a 90 amp battery strapped to it.

The stupidity of electric yaks offshore has been discussed many times. That there are so few to be found says something.........

Learn to paddle the yak in its purest form or even better get a longer one which is more suited to offshore work.

Sorry not what you wanted to hear no doubt.

Patwah
Legend
Kayak: kayak

Post by Patwah » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:49 am

Millzee

Looks like you've completed a very thorough set up on your yak, and clearly you put some thought in to the changes.

One thing I would say is I would re-consider heading offshore when you have that additional weight and other accessories on your yak, not to mention your good self. Its not ideal to be that far out, and could be disastrous if you do run into trouble.

There is some thinking some valid points in the post above mine, just ignore the arrogant and thoughtless delivery in the message. You rightful;y asked for some feedback and deserved a more polite response. We apologise for that.

All the best with your yak, and try and find some quiet water in close to test its capabilities.

millzee

Post by millzee » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:52 am

I was only thinking on very calm days but I'll take it on board and maybe stick to the flat areas like bays, lakes and rivers. I suppose if I want to fish offshore, I'll stick to a boat. Thanks for your response.

Dodge
Frother
Kayak: Perception Swing + Pacer

Post by Dodge » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:10 am

Patwah wrote:
There is some thinking some valid points in the post above mine, just ignore the arrogant and thoughtless delivery in the message. You rightful;y asked for some feedback and deserved a more polite response. We apologise for that.
Well said Paddy.
Agree with and support your whole reply.
cheers RICHO

Kayaks: Perception Swing 400 ..... carves Anon timber lures.
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, but on others the statue.

Indiedog
Legend
Kayak: PF475 BFS

Post by Indiedog » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:48 am

Well said Wah. Agree totally, offshore is not the place for this yak. By no means does that diminish the hard work you've done, but make sure you know the yak's limitations, not to mention yours. Some sad stories of guys losing their lives through a lack of experience and respect for open water.
I caught a hairtail. Weird looking phucker.

http://www.arcoeco.com.au

FishnDive
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth PF525_Fisha 460_Toura 17_Pinnacle Elite

Post by FishnDive » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:02 pm

While I will admit to being firmly in the no motors camp, and don't recommend that you use this offshore, you've asked for feedback and a few objective issues I would consider are:

1) instead of the mat/foam bung over the battery area, consider going to a plastic welder. seal it up and build it to a level surface allowing you to install a rectangular cobra hatch to access the battery.
2) the 12v socket on the nose is is located where the majority of the water will enter your yak- waves washing over the bow. Most of those sockets are rated as weatherproof rather than waterproof with an IP rating.
3) where you have cables entering/exiting the hull on a flat horizontal surface water will get in. If the cables are staying put consider sikaflex ing a section of tubing into the hole that rises above the surface of the yak. Then pass your cables through the tube. This stops deck water getting into the hull.
4) with that much wiring on board I would be carrying a fire extinguisher.
5) consider adding some sort of dead man switch so it doesn't take off without you should you get into trouble.

Best of luck.
Eoin (Owen)

millzee

Post by millzee » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

I love the sound of the "deadman" switch. Maybe I could put a bungie cord onto my wrist and attach the other end to the 8mm bullets that power the motor head. I've used a lot of Selleys all clear multipurpose co-polymer sealant on the inside and outside of all the holes where I've ran wires so hopefully it should keep the water out. I have an extinguisher that'll be onboard just in case the fuses fail, that'd be a messy nightmare going out that way, lol. I appreciate all of your input and will stick to calmer waters, now I guess I'll have to get it wet and see how she goes. Thanks again.

cheaterparts
Local
Kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 OK Prowler 4-3

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:35 am

millzee wrote:I was only thinking on very calm days but I'll take it on board and maybe stick to the flat areas like bays, lakes and rivers. I suppose if I want to fish offshore, I'll stick to a boat. Thanks for your response.
Even a prefect day can turn bad quickly off shore - like the about I agree it'e not the off shore option and by the way if you are going to use a motor on your kayak in Vic it needs rego and all the same safety gear as a boat

millzee

Post by millzee » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:25 pm

My trip to Inverloch went ok, I fished in the yak for just shy of 16 hours one of the days and it proved a lot to me. One of the first things I learned as I put it in during the darkness of the early morning is that it's a bit of a pig. The water line with me on it was about half way through the shimano stickers on the sides. My lights did a great job illuminating the water allowing me to see what I was doing well enough until daylight and the sounder did a wonderful job through out the trip. The electric motor putted along at a good trawling speed and got a lot of use with the battery lasting around 12 hours, I paddled into the darkness of the night allowing the battery to have enough power still in it to run the lights and sounder. Throughout the day I realised that I could loose a lot of onboard weight by organising my tackle better and not taking too many drinks, I had more water than I could drink in 16 hours, lol. I caught about 30 fish of a mixed bag but realised them all due to them being under sized but had a good day anyway. I found that my seat was very uncomfortable, my ass was sore and my lower back ached to the point it made loading up in the evening a hell of a task but I can't see myself fishing for that long in a day too many times in the future.
A few days later I fished for a couple of hours on the Goulbourn river just out of Tongala. I left the motor in my ute and only took a couple of tackle trays and a few drinks and the weight was better making it easier to paddle. I was targeting Cod but unfortunately only landed a couple of big filthy carp. I used the winch on my ute to put the yak up and down the steep bank and it worked like a charm.

I dropped into the local tackle shop in Inverloch "Rod Bendings World" and seen some of the awesome Hobie kayaks, the guys in the store are very friendly and helpful. I have decided that I'll buy another yak and let my wife have this one so she can putt along with our youngest child, we'll get a couple of small, cheap yaks for our older two boys and get out on the water as a family thing.

My question to you all now is.........
In order to be able to do all my river, lake and estuary fishing as well as getting out to Bird rock 1km off Port Macquarie a couple of times a year, What yak should I buy, the Pro Angler 14, the Outback or a revo 13. In saying the revo, does the revo 16 have more room to work with or is the extra length simply in the nose?

unsinkable2
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 + Old Town Vapor + Viking 2+1

Post by unsinkable2 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:30 pm

Although I don't own one yet, the mother is looking at a revo 13 out of that list above as an allrounder. Reasons being it's light enough to car top (PA too heavy), can get offshore with decent confidence without the weather needing to be super good (outback less ideal...) and is still small enough to use conveniently in freshwater. Good to hear you had a good trip too, shame the fish didn't turn it on for you!
Cheers, Owen.
Best yak captures:
~40kg 165cm cobia, 176cm/35kg big dawg, 107cm longtail, 87cm snapper, 49cm mangrove jack, 57cm kingy, 55cm yella, 45cm bass, 65cm trophy grinner and a bigger moses perch than nezevic

FishnDive
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth PF525_Fisha 460_Toura 17_Pinnacle Elite

Post by FishnDive » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:11 pm

Given how you mentioned that you want to reduce weight on the other yak by organising your gear better, you obviously like to take a bit of gear with you. If that's the case, then both the outback or PA have better storage than the revo models with the Pa having by far the most storage.The revo's require some thought into things like rod holder placement as the gunnels are narrower and don't have molded rod holders or storage.
Don't be put off by the Pa weight; PA's can be car-topped, I know a few guys doing just that, you just need a quality set of roof racks and there are a number of lifting devices on the market to make the process easier.
I think the best thing to do is go to one of the Hobie demo days at either Rod Bendings or Mornington and try out a couple of models. You will be the best judge of what will suit your needs.
Eoin (Owen)

Fishane
Frother
Kayak: PA14 AI and Quest

Post by Fishane » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:02 pm

The Outbsck and especially PA will give you a lot more storage and rigging room. They can go offshore OK fir what you're proposing and are not that hard to car top. However the PA is not so good for rivers, particularly if you need to paddle near snags. If it has enough room for you the revo is the best allrounder for rivers to offshore work.

millzee

Post by millzee » Tue May 12, 2015 2:43 pm

Well after a lot of thought and reading I have put a 2k deposit on an olive Outback. James at rodbendings has put a package together for me with a 4x HDI elite sounder with ram fittings, the rudder upgrade, anchor trolley and anchor, 2x ram mounted tube style rod holders just behind my seat, 2x ram mounted advance style rod holders in front of me, 4x holder extensions to go in the hull for if and when I need them, a HD kayak trolley, the livewell and 1/2 dozen rod leashes He told me that the stock fins on the current model are far better than the older style and that I should use it a few times before upgrading to the turbo fins, what do you fellas think, go with the stock fins or upgrade them straight away?? and, what other things should I be thinking about other than the obvious safety gear??

Macbrand
Kayak: Dragonfly Angler 3

Post by Macbrand » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi millzee,

I have an angler with the motor mount too. Unfortunately I have been unable to use it as yet (been in storage for awhile).

Was interesting to see your modifications. Some good ideas.

Good to see you picked up a Hobie for your off shore work. I hope that is working well for you.

I have never really been game to take my Angler further than 30 metres off shore. Not sure it was designed for it. Its perfect as a fishing platform for estuaries and calm waters though. Super stable.

Anyway, thanks for posting your modifications. I will post some of my own yak pimping when the weather gets warm enough to go out.