Angler Electric Yak

Show off your rigged kayak or tell us what you think of your new gear
brunswick
Kayak: Tandem Fishing SOT

Re: Angler Electric Yak

Post by brunswick » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:57 pm

A great looking rig. Some great ideas there. I used to run a double outrigged electric 16ft canoe. My new tandem SOT will be be going electric with a single outrigger. Easy and safe for an old guy like me. I don't like my 'fish finder' showing seagulls. Lol

MKK

Re: Angler Electric Yak

Post by MKK » Mon May 08, 2017 11:41 am

I've got one of these and they are very stable for what they are designed to do. The angler kayak is definitely not designed for offshore.

My feedback - and I'm being honest and not having a go at you personally.

Cutting such a large hole in the hull has definitely made it pretty unsafe IMHO. If you happen to tip it over, the battery will exit the hull and the hull will fill with water extremely quickly and sink.

I would definitely not be going out alone in this kayak with the modifications you have made. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for modifying kayaks to make them better to fish off. I've modified my angler kayak with numerous accessories etc, however, I feel you've gone the wrong direction with the method you've used to mount your battery.

The angler has a larger carrying capacity than most yaks so with a slightly smaller (lighter) battery selection you could have mounted the battery topside without compromising the integrity of the hull so much and creating what is a very unsafe water craft.