Another Outback 2015

Show off your rigged kayak or tell us what you think of your new gear
millzee
Kayak: Hobie Outback Lifetime angler

Another Outback 2015

Post by millzee » Thu May 28, 2015 10:23 pm

Had a huge day today, I was in the car at 5.30am and started on my trip to Inverloch from Maryborough. I stopped off in Cranbourne at Tackle world and picked up a nice little light weight gaff and decided to bite the bullet and shout myself a Stormy PFD jacket. I figured I was looking for a comfy PFD and also needed a warm waterproof jacket so the Stormy will do the job well.
I continued down the road and arrived in Inverloch at around 10am, I ended up spending a couple hours in Rod Bendings with David going through the yak extremely well, he helped me find the best way to load it on my ute and get it ready for my 4hr drive home. I wanted to take it out but by the time we were done the wind was howling and I want the maiden to be somewhat nice. I grabbed a few extra accessories while I was there like a landing net, fish grips, mirage drive bag and a few other bits and pieces. A month or so back I purchased a set of Shark Skin pants and socks that I found to work very well keeping me warm even when wet so I grabbed a top to make it a full suit that fits well and feels good under the jacket. I might end up adding a cheap set of hard cover waterproof pants down the line if I find paddling around in sub 10degree a bit much over the next few months but otherwise I think I will be well covered.
I'm absolutely stoked with the outback, I'm glad I ended up going with it over the revo purely for the extra width. James has done a great job fitting it out for me with the sounder and rod holders, I won't use all the holders in the pictures but it's great to have the options when needed (I know I only have two arms, lol) The rudder upgrade sure stands out, I took a picture for those that may not have seen the difference between a stock outback rudder and the upgrade option. I was a little surprised how small the stock ST fins are on the mirage drive, when I saw the size difference between the Turbo and stock in the flesh it all made a lot more sense to me. The livewell sure is big, I think I'll leave it off and take an esky tomorrow for it's maiden voyage so I can start organising my tackle a bit better and loose the big red bag that's pictured. I'll get a lot of use out of the livewell when we holiday near salt water but for fresh I might just see how things go.
Rain, hail, wind or shine, tomorrow I'm getting out to Cairn Curren and getting this yak wet, it'll be a good spot for me to learn everything about the yak before I start getting a bit more serious (I keep reading about tuna off Portland, sounds great but I think I might need a little more experience first)
Here's a few of many pic's, I'll try not to kill the server with 1000 pic's, you've all seen one, lol.

Patwah
Legend
Kayak: kayak

Re: Another Outback 2015

Post by Patwah » Thu May 28, 2015 10:33 pm

Sweet ride, love the transport set up to.

Congrats dude

Dodge
Frother
Kayak: Perception Swing + Pacer

Post by Dodge » Fri May 29, 2015 8:53 am

All it needs now are blood stains and few scratches, have fun with your new toy millzee.
cheers RICHO

Kayaks: Perception Swing 400 ..... carves Anon timber lures.
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, but on others the statue.

BigGee
Barfly
Kayak: Hobie Pro-Angler 14 and Sport

Post by BigGee » Fri May 29, 2015 9:27 am

Pretty much the same as my ride now, same upgrades and sounder etc ... couldnt be happier. You'll love it, get it fish stinky now bloke. Wish I had that ute to carry mine.

Cheers

Gee
Do it right or do it twice.

geoffw
Frother
Kayak: outback

Post by geoffw » Fri May 29, 2015 1:49 pm

That's a great looking yak. I have the same but with less add ons. Great yak. A small addition that I can recommend is the hobie 15 tampon. Initially i was carting my yak on the car racks and despite washing it down prior to loading, I was getting blobs of wet salty sand depositing on the roof..... eventually this gets down the drain ways and will cause erosion. The sand comes from the sonar housing. An easy fix is to use a slice of pool noodle with piece of string attached. Insert in cable hole before upturning yak. With your ute it may not be such a problem but so easy it is worth considering.
See topic
viewtopic.php?t=3037#p47572
Fish' n fun

Bungy
Local
Kayak: Hobie Outbacks x2

Post by Bungy » Fri May 29, 2015 4:50 pm

Hi ya Millzee
Nice outfit mate.I have the same but not yet used mine. Question does your mirage drive when plugged in have forward aft play.??

nezevic
Legend
Kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by nezevic » Fri May 29, 2015 5:23 pm

Very nice. I'm sure you'll have many good trips on it.
Cheers,
Jon

Snap: 88cm, Grassy: 58cm, Red Emperor: 58cm, Bass: 44cm, Cobe: 20kg, Longtail: 98cm, Jewfish: 11.5kg, Hammer ~1.8m, Spaniard: 126cm Spotty: 109cm

Hey Ken, I'm just going to clean my fish.

geoffw
Frother

Post by geoffw » Fri May 29, 2015 5:37 pm

Bungy wrote:Hi ya Millzee
Nice outfit mate.I have the same but not yet used mine. Question does your mirage drive when plugged in have forward aft play.??
Mine has a little. Previous one also had. I think its normal.
Fish' n fun

millzee
Kayak: Hobie Outback Lifetime angler

Post by millzee » Fri May 29, 2015 9:11 pm

Thanks fellas, I took it out to Cairn Curren today for its maiden and was VERY happy with how easy it is to cover a lot of ground. I ended up sorting out a little bit of tackle and taking the livewell and I'm glad I did, it'll be a permanent fixture on my future trips. After a few hours I noticed my lower back getting a bit sore but soon remembered the lumber support and a quick adjustment had me comfy for another couple of hours. I'll need to add a longer anchor rope as the hobie one was too short for parts of the Res that I wanted to fish. I covered a lot of water today after bait fishing for a while to get the feel of the yak. Not long after I began trolling a couple of lures I got lucky and landed a nice Brown trout, that was enough for me to miss my curfew and kept trolling till dark. All in all, I'm a very happy fisho!! :D

geoffw
Frother

Post by geoffw » Fri May 29, 2015 11:48 pm

Excellent
Fish' n fun

cruiser
Kayak: Adventure Island and yum yum revo

Post by cruiser » Sat May 30, 2015 9:46 am

That's not a bad way to start and a very nice yak to do it in

Jay
Kayak: Hobie Outbak 2015

Post by Jay » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:27 am

Nice yak mate. I know it was some time ago but I must say I also have a 2015 Outback and am stoked.

Enjoy!