It's not Carbon mehi's Evo 465

Show off your rigged kayak or tell us what you think of your new gear
User avatar
mehi
Barfly
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:34 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Kayak: A striped one and a yellow one

Re: It's not Carbon mehi's Evo 465

Post by mehi » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:15 pm

Gbc wrote:No issues with the twist and stow blowing open as has been reported a few times? I'd assume the plastic (hobie) boats would suffer more than glass. I could use a couple on mine for sure if I could trust them.
Mate didn't have any troubles with the hatch only used it a couple of times before I sold it and fortunately for me I didn't end up upside down the new boat will be staying stock standard to keep the weight down the stealth hatches definitely don't come open in the surf
Number one thing guys Enjoy yourself at all costs

Cheers Dave

User avatar
Gbc
Barfly
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:03 am
Location: Camp Hill
Kayak: Paddleyak Kingfisher
Rosco canadian
Emotion Exhilarator

Re: It's not Carbon mehi's Evo 465

Post by Gbc » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:24 pm

More mods coming up for me I think. Cheers for the heads up.

User avatar
matt
Regular member
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:41 pm
Location: Port Stephens
Kayak: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

Re: It's not Carbon mehi's Evo 465

Post by matt » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:03 pm

Gbc wrote:No issues with the twist and stow blowing open as has been reported a few times? I'd assume the plastic (hobie) boats would suffer more than glass. I could use a couple on mine for sure if I could trust them.
I fitted one on my 525 and no issues. since then I heard about them popping open so before I recently fitted one to a mates 465 we both tried twisting (the unfitted hatch) to see if we could flex it and have it open itself. Gotta say there was no way we were going to get it to flex let alone open. No offence to whoever reported it happening to them but I believe they didn't have it closed properly (a mistake I have made too). Have also compared the Hobie hatch to a generic one and it was a huge difference. Hobie = good - generic = crap.

User avatar
avayak
Local
Posts: 490
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:24 am
Location: Sydney Northside
Kayak: Hobie Revolution 13 Stealth Profisha 525

Re: It's not Carbon mehi's Evo 465

Post by avayak » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:13 pm

I have witnessed a Stealth hatch open when rolled in the surf with a loss of stowed reels.
Perhaps as Matt said the problem with hatches opening is that they are not closed fully and a hatch that is behind you could be easily mistaken for being properly closed.

User avatar
Gbc
Barfly
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:03 am
Location: Camp Hill
Kayak: Paddleyak Kingfisher
Rosco canadian
Emotion Exhilarator

Re: It's not Carbon mehi's Evo 465

Post by Gbc » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:18 pm

Done, thankyou both gents, I'll give it a go.
I bought some hobie rod holder extensions which don't fit my rod holders so I have to visit sunstate soon anyway. Merry Christmas to me.....

Skimmer
Active member
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:26 pm
Location: Goodwood
Kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Re: It's not Carbon mehi's Evo 465

Post by Skimmer » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:15 pm

Is carbon better than fibreglass due to the weight difference? What is your view on preformed plastics like that used in Barracuda yaks? This new one if yours sure is pretty.
Yak: Hurricane Skimmer116
KgWhiting 52cm
Adelaide, SA
"It's all about the attitude"

User avatar
mehi
Barfly
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:34 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Kayak: A striped one and a yellow one

Re: It's not Carbon mehi's Evo 465

Post by mehi » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:37 pm

Skimmer wrote:Is carbon better than fibreglass due to the weight difference? What is your view on preformed plastics like that used in Barracuda yaks? This new one if yours sure is pretty.
My thoughts on the carbon versus fibreglass and my thoughts only as I'm no expert far from it others are way more qualified than me
1st up for me its about the weight around 20kgs I'm told. 2nd with the carbon being a lot stiffer than glass I'm hoping for a bit better performance paddling, speed but paddling technique and fitness will also apply. no 3 I just like the Stealth Skis(this is the 4th one I have brought) and dealing with the Guys at A.K.S

As for the thermoformed yaks I've had a look at the skimmer/barracuda and was impressed with the weight and build although I have never paddled one
I was really impressed with the finish they are a really smick looking yak
Number one thing guys Enjoy yourself at all costs

Cheers Dave

Skimmer
Active member
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:26 pm
Location: Goodwood
Kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Re: It's not Carbon mehi's Evo 465

Post by Skimmer » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:31 pm

mehi wrote:
Skimmer wrote:Is carbon better than fibreglass due to the weight difference? What is your view on preformed plastics like that used in Barracuda yaks? This new one if yours sure is pretty.
My thoughts on the carbon versus fibreglass and my thoughts only as I'm no expert far from it others are way more qualified than me
1st up for me its about the weight around 20kgs I'm told. 2nd with the carbon being a lot stiffer than glass I'm hoping for a bit better performance paddling, speed but paddling technique and fitness will also apply. no 3 I just like the Stealth Skis(this is the 4th one I have brought) and dealing with the Guys at A.K.S

As for the thermoformed yaks I've had a look at the skimmer/barracuda and was impressed with the weight and build although I have never paddled one
I was really impressed with the finish they are a really smick looking yak
Cheers
I appreciate you sharing your views. Weight is an issue for me cos of the handling on and off the water because I take it to difficult to get to places which can require manipulating the yak over reef on land. The heavier the harder to get there and back. The thermoformed yak handles the rough treatment. I can't see fibreglass handling that. How does carbon go with scratches, heavy bangs onto rock etc?
Yak: Hurricane Skimmer116
KgWhiting 52cm
Adelaide, SA
"It's all about the attitude"

User avatar
mehi
Barfly
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:34 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Kayak: A striped one and a yellow one

Re: It's not Carbon mehi's Evo 465

Post by mehi » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:36 pm

Skimmer wrote:
mehi wrote:
Skimmer wrote:Is carbon better than fibreglass due to the weight difference? What is your view on preformed plastics like that used in Barracuda yaks? This new one if yours sure is pretty.
My thoughts on the carbon versus fibreglass and my thoughts only as I'm no expert far from it others are way more qualified than me
1st up for me its about the weight around 20kgs I'm told. 2nd with the carbon being a lot stiffer than glass I'm hoping for a bit better performance paddling, speed but paddling technique and fitness will also apply. no 3 I just like the Stealth Skis(this is the 4th one I have brought) and dealing with the Guys at A.K.S

As for the thermoformed yaks I've had a look at the skimmer/barracuda and was impressed with the weight and build although I have never paddled one
I was really impressed with the finish they are a really smick looking yak
Cheers
I appreciate you sharing your views. Weight is an issue for me cos of the handling on and off the water because I take it to difficult to get to places which can require manipulating the yak over reef on land. The heavier the harder to get there and back. The thermoformed yak handles the rough treatment. I can't see fibreglass handling that. How does carbon go with scratches, heavy bangs onto rock etc?
Heavy bangs onto rocks in carbon stealth I'd guess it'll end in tears :( when I fish the estuaries in the tight stuff I'll be taking the plastic that one I just drag over everything to get to the water unbreakable
Number one thing guys Enjoy yourself at all costs

Cheers Dave

Skimmer
Active member
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:26 pm
Location: Goodwood
Kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Re: It's not Carbon mehi's Evo 465

Post by Skimmer » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:44 pm

Thanks Dave.
Yak: Hurricane Skimmer116
KgWhiting 52cm
Adelaide, SA
"It's all about the attitude"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest