Nomad

Show off your rigged kayak or tell us what you think of your new gear
Bradv
Kayak: FeelFree Nomad, Feelfree TriYak

Nomad

Post by Bradv » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:14 pm

Although I've seen a couple of other FeelFree Nomads out & about, I've not seen any detailed forum pictures of them rigged for fishing - so here's mine :)

I originally bought the 9' Nomad for exercise and exploring around the Redland's waterways, for which it's perfect being light, manoeuvrable and very easy to transport - I especially love the wheel hidden in the keel as it makes getting it between the car & the water fantastically easy. Despite it coming with 2 flush-mount rod holders, it was only when I subsequently started trolling the internet for places to explore that I ran across our (old) forums and discovered how awesome kayaks were for fishing 8-) Fortunately the Nomad proved ideal for inshore fishing, which - with the exception of Straddie - is what the Redlands has in abundance. Straddie did show me the Nomad is heaps of fun - seriously! - catching the surf back into shore though.

So, my modifications:
  • Unipod - the Nomad has a good amount of wet storage at the rear, but is not the right shape to take a fishing (i.e. milk) crate. Instead, it has a custom "Unipod" which converts this area to an even larger amount of dry storage with an 8" hatch and 2 extra rod holders. This is the absolute best addition I've made for fishing as it holds all my tackle, lures and hand lines while keeping them perfectly dry, allowing me to put my safety gear in the middle hatch.
  • Fish finder - definitely the next-best addition :D The transducer is siliconed into the cutout behind one of the rear scuppers, allowing it to be fully submerged while mostly protected from bumps. The upward curve of the hull keeps it away from the ground too. The cable runs up the scupper then into the hull through a hole in its wall above the waterline, but below where the Unipod sits. It's powered by a 12v7AH SLA battery inside the hull under the drink bottle holder, being held in place by velcro underneath and pressed down by a chunk of pool noodle from above so it won't move when I invert the kayak for transport on my roof-racks.
  • Front hatch - The Nomad had a solid front, so I used to store my fish in a Yakcatch insulated fishing bag that clipped neatly on top of the bow. As the addition of the fishfinder blocked access to where this bag opened, I instead installed a 10" hatch where I can still reach its latch. Underneath this is a 60L fleible tub cut down to 15cm, which prevents my catch & ice bricks from migrating around the inside of the hull.
  • Extra seat padding - I've stuck with the "Deluxe" seat that came with the Nomad (although my Kingfisher seat is good too), as it's pretty comfortable but most importantly, the wrap-around sides do a really great job of providing lateral support in swell. I was originally getting "numb bum syndrome" after about 1-2 hours, so I sikaflex'd some 1.5cm high density foam to the bottom and that problem is solved!
  • Gaff holder - configured like an extra paddle park.
At my fav boat ramp!
Nomad_port.jpg
The rod is optional - often I just troll with hand-lines.
Nomad_starboard.jpg
The pouch on the seat straps contains a multi-tool.
Nomad_cockpit.jpg
Love that Unipod!
Nomad_stern.jpg
Sorry Mr. FeelFree ... no more front "Nomad" logo!!
Nomad_bow.jpg
Sunrise over Straddie from Wello
Nomad_legs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bradv on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad

Yak PB's - Reef shark ~1m; Shark Mackerel 65cm; Spotted Mackerel 57cm; Flathead 56cm; Flowery Cod 50cm; Estuary Cod 50cm; Barred Grunter 50cm; Snapper 44cm; Tailor 43cm; School Mackerel 43cm; Flounder 33cm; Leaping Bonito 33cm; Whiting 30cm, Australian Bass 30cm, Sweetlip 29cm, Bream 28cm

Patwah
Legend
Kayak: kayak

Re: Nomad

Post by Patwah » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:24 pm

Nice rig, NSW blues blue, well played sir!

Zilch
Frother
Kayak: Dune Hobie Outback

Post by Zilch » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:19 am

Nice tidy uncluttered yak :)

Steve
KISS ; keep it simple steve
Even the the fish don't know where my secret fishing spots are !

mehi
Barfly
Kayak: A striped one and a yellow one

Post by mehi » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:51 am

Nice clean unit that'll source you a fish or two
In regards to playing in the surf had a play on one at Currumbin a while back there fun enjoy your ride dude
Number one thing guys Enjoy yourself at all costs

Cheers Dave

nezevic
Legend
Kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by nezevic » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:20 am

How good is that! I love a well thought out rig.
Cheers,
Jon

Snap: 88cm, Grassy: 58cm, Red Emperor: 58cm, Bass: 44cm, Cobe: 20kg, Longtail: 98cm, Jewfish: 11.5kg, Hammer ~1.8m, Spaniard: 126cm Spotty: 109cm

Hey Ken, I'm just going to clean my fish.

Bradv

Post by Bradv » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:32 am

Thanks all! Admittedly it has taken several iterations for me to come up with this layout, but I think this is the way it's going to stay from now on ;)
Brad

Yak PB's - Reef shark ~1m; Shark Mackerel 65cm; Spotted Mackerel 57cm; Flathead 56cm; Flowery Cod 50cm; Estuary Cod 50cm; Barred Grunter 50cm; Snapper 44cm; Tailor 43cm; School Mackerel 43cm; Flounder 33cm; Leaping Bonito 33cm; Whiting 30cm, Australian Bass 30cm, Sweetlip 29cm, Bream 28cm

Macbrand
Kayak: Dragonfly Angler 3

Post by Macbrand » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:18 am

The Unipod looks awesome and as others have said, nice clean laid out rig.

Impressive setup.

Dodge
Frother
Kayak: Perception Swing + Pacer

Post by Dodge » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:42 pm

They are great kayaks, and used to fish in company with one from the old site which also had the pod on the back.

In the pod he fitted a couple of flush deck rod holders either side of the hatch.
cheers RICHO

Kayaks: Perception Swing 400 ..... carves Anon timber lures.
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, but on others the statue.

Bradv

Post by Bradv » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:07 pm

My Unipod (I think being the newest version) has two rod holders built in. I use one to hold a sharp knife, secured by velcro - you can just see the top of its black handle poking out of the right one in the stern photo - and the other holds my landing net. This leaves the two larger flush-mount holders in the Nomad itself free for my rod and a "donger". I use the latter in lieu of ike jime, mostly because I'm sure I'd end up spiking my hand instead of the fish's brain :lol:
Brad

Dodge
Frother
Kayak: Perception Swing + Pacer

Post by Dodge » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:13 pm

Bradv wrote:My Unipod (I think being the newest version) has two rod holders built in.
Brad that is a lot better pod than the early Nomad ones which were only black and quite bulky.

When it was windy the old Nomad used to turn like a weather cock as the higher pod acted like a sail, never the less saw that old yak in some rugged conditions and was great unit.
cheers RICHO

Kayaks: Perception Swing 400 ..... carves Anon timber lures.
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, but on others the statue.

Bradv

Post by Bradv » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:52 pm

Thanks Dodge!

I can see why you say the older pods caused the Nomad to be blown around ... this earlier black model (which I've never seen in real life) appears to sit on top of the rear well's walls:

whereas the new grey pod I have sits right down into the rear well, plus IMHO is much more schmick ;)

I find my Nomad can handle winds up to ~14 knots quite well. Its bow is designed to be a spray deflector, which works great in smallish chop; however when the wind really picks up, the bow rides over (instead of through) the increasingly-large chop which makes it really hard going. The Nomad still remains very seaworthy on those occasions, but I definitely get my exercise for that month :mrgreen:
Brad

salticrak
Legend
Kayak: Tokoloshe

Post by salticrak » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:11 pm

I reckon she'd go good in the surf mate,has the lines of a paddle ski about her.
Sponsored by Baboon Salve,sale now on..https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBYVdt ... 5lE6ZIitAg

Bradv

Post by Bradv » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:43 pm

salticrak wrote:I reckon she'd go good in the surf mate,has the lines of a paddle ski about her.
Yeah, she does :D I tried surf for the first time at the 2015 Adder Rock comp and although getting out was a bit tricky - but still very achievable - riding the waves back in each time was awesome fun! Being short it's very nimble and thus relatively easy to stop from being turned sideways, plus the large volume & shape of the bow stop it from digging in.
Brad

jumaji
Seak Swift.

Post by jumaji » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:33 pm

Brad, my very first kayak was a Nomad, somewhere around 5 or 6 years ago. Absolutely loved it, very strong, all the attributes you have mentioned. I could even lift it onto my roofracks! The only problem I had was in its lack of legroom for me. Been through a couple of kayaks since then but it will always hold a special place in my memory! :D
kayak fishing 002 resize.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Member of "TEAM OLD FARTS"

Bradv

Post by Bradv » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:55 pm

Great to see another fishing setup for a Nomad - nice! Also cool to see the changes they've made to the model over the years. FeelFree must have stretched the legroom in the current model, as I'm several inches over 6' and fit in nicely.

Is that the optional skeg at the back of yours? I've always wondered how much difference they make.
Brad