Hobie 13 Revo Review

Show off your rigged kayak or tell us what you think of your new gear
Buttcrack
Kayak: Hobie Revo 13

Hobie 13 Revo Review

Post by Buttcrack » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:31 am

After my SWR trip in Feb I upgraded fro a 2010 Hobie Outback to a 2013 Revo. The performance of the Revo leaves the Outback for dead - it cuts thru the water instead of slapping on top!

However, I've already tipped over :oops: and the new seat raises your centre of gravity even on the lowest setting so I need to work on my core strength and balance before going offshore.

The other disadvantage is what I call the "wet bottom syndrome".
- In the old style seats you always had a wet bottom, but your body temperature and sun would warm the water you sat in...
- With the new yak the Mid Boat Carrying Handle acts as a ramp lifting side waves up and over the gunnel. Leaving you seated above a pool of cold water in bottom of the yak and the drainage plug is too small. However on occasion the cold winter water would slosh up and touch you in the buttcrack - a very uncomfortable feeling for most :? :lol:

But except those few negatives I'm still really happy with my new Revo and can't wait to try it out in the warmer months!

Cheers,
Buttcrack
Hobie Revolution 13
2mtr Hammerhead, 120cm Cobia, 115cm Wahoo, 107cm Kingfish, 85cm GT, 83cm Samson Fish, 100cm Spotted Mackeral, 91cm Flathead,99cm Barracouta, 80cm Taylor, 65cm Snapper and 35cm Sand Whiting

nezevic
Legend
Kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Re: Hobie 13 Revo Review

Post by nezevic » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:45 am

Buttcrack take the plug out, and retro fit a venturi valve in the bottom of the hole. I'll search for a link.

Edit: does the new model already have a venturi? !?!
Cheers,
Jon

Snap: 88cm, Grassy: 58cm, Red Emperor: 58cm, Bass: 44cm, Cobe: 20kg, Longtail: 98cm, Jewfish: 11.5kg, Hammer ~1.8m, Spaniard: 126cm Spotty: 109cm

Hey Ken, I'm just going to clean my fish.

Dodge
Frother
Kayak: Perception Swing + Pacer

Post by Dodge » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:35 am

Buttcrack wrote: - With the new yak the Mid Boat Carrying Handle acts as a ramp lifting side waves up and over the gunnel. Leaving you seated above a pool of cold water in bottom of the yak
Buttcrak a mate had that happen with the handle on his Catch which acted like a scoop.

We got a piece of pool noodle carved it to the curved shape required and jammed under the handle, making a simple seal which easily pushed out when using the handle for carrying.
cheers RICHO

Kayaks: Perception Swing 400 ..... carves Anon timber lures.
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, but on others the statue.

Buttcrack
Kayak: Hobie Revo 13

Post by Buttcrack » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:48 pm

nezevic wrote:Buttcrack take the plug out, and retro fit a venturi valve in the bottom of the hole. I'll search for a link.

Edit: does the new model already have a venturi? !?!
I was looking at it today and realised their was a wedge to hold the core/plug open. :oops:

Hopefully it will drain properly and remove the cold water.

Cheers,
Andrew
Hobie Revolution 13
2mtr Hammerhead, 120cm Cobia, 115cm Wahoo, 107cm Kingfish, 85cm GT, 83cm Samson Fish, 100cm Spotted Mackeral, 91cm Flathead,99cm Barracouta, 80cm Taylor, 65cm Snapper and 35cm Sand Whiting