FishNdive's Fisha 500 -Rigging Added

Show off your rigged kayak or tell us what you think of your new gear
stealthfisha
Legend
Kayak: STEALTH PROFISHA 525

Re: FishNdive's Fisha 500 -Rigging Added

Post by stealthfisha » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:04 am

Im impressed so far...really classy trolley....neat.
have you thoght of the out of hull mount? OOHM ha!
plenty have gone that way and the signal is 100% each time

geoffw
Frother
Kayak: outback

Post by geoffw » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:25 am

Looking very nice Eoin
Fish' n fun

FishnDive
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth PF525_Fisha 460_Toura 17_Pinnacle Elite

Post by FishnDive » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:13 pm

stealthfisha wrote:Im impressed so far...really classy trolley....neat.
have you thoght of the out of hull mount? OOHM ha!
plenty have gone that way and the signal is 100% each time
Thought about it Baggs, but have done in-hull on the last two plastics and the old stealth with no dramas on signal. My sounder doesn't have downscan/sidescan so I don't miss out on much by going in-hull apart from accurate water temps. Westernport gets a bit weedy at times so running the tranny over the side would give it something extra to get caught up on and it would also give the gummys something extra to wrap themselves around. I actually finished the install last night so the tallon mount is done too. Forgot to take a pic, was more interested in having a beer afterwards.
Hoping for an after work troll on Friday to see if there are any early snapper about.
Eoin (Owen)

FishnDive
Barfly

FishNdive's Fisha 500 -Rod Holders for Bait Fishing

Post by FishnDive » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:00 pm

Weather forecasting has been a bit average this weekend, Saturday was way off and I slept in only to wake to a windless morning. Had planned to head offshore to Cape Woolamai on Sunday morning with Nello but with forecasts bouncing between 8 and 20knts we played it safe and hit the mud pond to chase some gummy sharks with the chance of an early red. The upside is it gave me a chance to water test the latest mod: a pair of rod holders for bait fishing at anchor.
IMG_2594.JPG
The footrests in the Fisha are further forward and have plenty of room behind to mount a berkley rod holder base. I put one each side and added a pair of home-made extenders using 25mm black aluminium from Bunnings so as not to interfere with the opening of the fish hatch lid. Worked a treat.
IMG_2595.JPG
Slow on the fish front for me only managed some salmon that went back out as bait, good to see my old yak still has some mojo though because Nello landed a nice 1m gummy shark.
IMG_2588.JPG
7.1.jpg
In other new yak related news, having sold my outback and the old stealth with paddles I had to chase up another as a spare. (Vic offshore requirement) The old Evo took a one piece wing in the hatch no dramas and I assumed that the Fisha would too (without checking). I happened to pick up a cheap spare wing from a bloke down the road and went to stick it in the hatch today with a view to testing it out on the water at some stage during the day, only to find that the fish hatch has been redesigned with a lip in the bottom and doesn't go all the way to the nose as it does in the Evo. Do the Pro Fishas have this too or is it new to the Fisha 500? I imagine the reasoning is to stop your catch sliding to the nose coming through the surf, but damn fitting a one-piece in the hatch was handy.The top half of the fish box goes all the way to the nose allowing for longer rods but there isn't enough space for a paddle blade. First thing I have found that I have preferred on the old yak, I'll just have to pick up a two-piece for the hatch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eoin (Owen)

mehi
Barfly
Kayak: A striped one and a yellow one

Post by mehi » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:36 pm

Mate have you thought about maybe a 2 pc Greenland stick would take up bugger all room, you most probably could strap it to the back of the ski
Number one thing guys Enjoy yourself at all costs

Cheers Dave

FishnDive
Barfly

Post by FishnDive » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:31 pm

mehi wrote:Mate have you thought about maybe a 2 pc Greenland stick would take up bugger all room, you most probably could strap it to the back of the ski
I've never really looked into the Greenlands before Mehi. I had a look at a few videos online and they look a nice piece of kit. Any 2 piece would fit in the hatch easily it is just a shame I can't get my one piece in there any more. I've only broken one paddle before and that was a Hobie alloy one. The Bennett I have, seems really well made and I'll probably just end up picking up a cheaper 2 piece flat blade as the backup. A nice greenland is a bit pricey to have sitting in the hatch as a spare. Thanks for the tip though, I wouldn't mind trying one out at some stage.
Eoin (Owen)

Fishane
Frother
Kayak: PA14 AI and Quest

Post by Fishane » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:16 pm

Looking good with the new rod holders Eoin. I'd recommend putting a screw in to lock their angle in position. Without the original knirling ont eh extended holders, they can slip down when a big fish strikes, risking losing the rig.

FishnDive
Barfly

Post by FishnDive » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:41 pm

Fishane wrote:Looking good with the new rod holders Eoin. I'd recommend putting a screw in to lock their angle in position. Without the original knirling ont eh extended holders, they can slip down when a big fish strikes, risking losing the rig.
Took care of that tonight Shane, just popped rivets in each above the main bolts to stop it tilting. Thanks for the tip. Found a black cutting board to take to with a hole saw to make some better spacers too. This rigging business is definitely easier fifth time round :lol:
Eoin (Owen)

FishnDive
Barfly

FishNdive's Fisha 500 - Moving a 5m Yak

Post by FishnDive » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:03 pm

With the upcoming trip to Port Augusta, I had a look into ways to avoid rear overhang when moving the yak now that my trailer has been sold. Regs in Victoria are sketchy at best and local cops and VicRoads sometimes have differing interpretations.
Adding a nudge bar with a T-rack to the front of the wagon was the obvious solution. Unfortunately the ones on the second hand market are all for falcon wagons and when I looked into getting one for a mondeo wagon they are a bit exxy with the nudge bar alone costing over $600.
Fishane suggested I have a look at making what the hanggliding blokes use to ferry their gear around and that turned out to be a winner. A trip to a local fabricator and I had a bonnet rack for a third of the price of a nudge bar and t-Rack combo.

Made from round alu, its pretty light and reasonably aerodynamic. Took it for a test run this morning (down to the local Tackleworld) and it worked a treat so no rear overhang and only a few cms at the front for less than a third of the price of a nudge bar and t-rack.
Have a couple of pads on the bonnet to stop it scratching paintwork, but I'm planning on driving/rusting this car into the ground as a fishing wagon anyway so it doesn't really matter. With the angles on the bonnet,its a push fit and can't move backwards any further than where it is. Can be easily removed to stick it in the boot when not needed. It tilts inwards a little away from pedestrians and obstructs my view way less than the t-rack I used on a Bunnings ute. Will give it a proper test on the way down to Ricketts in the morning.
IMG_2530.JPG
IMG_2608.JPG
IMG_2610.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eoin (Owen)

mehi
Barfly

Post by mehi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:55 pm

Mate I'd be interested to see some pics on how it's actually attached to the bonnet

cheers Dave

Cheers Dave

FishnDive
Barfly

Post by FishnDive » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:20 pm

Its a knock off of this idea Dave:
Because my bonnet has two angles on it unlike the relatively flat bonnet in the video, the bottom brackets on mine are manufactured almost 'C' shaped pieces to suit the curvature of the bonnet rather than the angle sections used in the video. The car is loaded for a trip now but if I remember in the morning when I'm out I'll take a few pics of the bottom when I come in.
Eoin (Owen)

jbone
Barfly
Kayak: GT470 + EVO 495

Post by jbone » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:31 pm

Very unique bonnet headboard!

At first I though you cut sections out of the bonnet!

krustayshen
Local
Kayak: Dusta

Post by krustayshen » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:44 pm

Well that is 'one way' of doing it. That bonnet rack is a great idea.

mehi
Barfly

Post by mehi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:03 pm

FishnDive wrote:Its a knock off of this idea Dave:
Because my bonnet has two angles on it unlike the relatively flat bonnet in the video, the bottom brackets on mine are manufactured almost 'C' shaped pieces to suit the curvature of the bonnet rather than the angle sections used in the video. The car is loaded for a trip now but if I remember in the morning when I'm out I'll take a few pics of the bottom when I come in.

Cheers for that Eoin

Cheers Dave

FishnDive
Barfly

Post by FishnDive » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:33 pm

Few more mini mods for the fisha:

First mod was an idea stolen from Grant Ashwell's revo. Its a rare-earth magnet to hold rigging needles for live baiting.
Started off with one of these:
WP_20160130_12_17_21_Pro.jpg
They have a coating on them but I added a couple of coats of rust proofer for good measure and then installed it on the hatch lid.
While I was at it, I added some p-clips to the bolts that hold the EPIRB on the underside of the hatch lid. Then I added some bungy to hold a pliers /boga
WP_20160214_13_46_33_Pro.jpg
Last mod was a wind paddle type sail, haven't had a chance to test it out yet but now I'm looking forward to the next windy day. I already had a stainless padeye and ring up front to pass a lock through so I just added one to the other side too to mount the sail.
WP_20160214_13_53_52_Pro.jpg
Last edited by FishnDive on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eoin (Owen)