Hurricane Skimmer 116 set up for fishing with motor

Show off your rigged kayak or tell us what you think of your new gear
Skimmer
Kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Hurricane Skimmer 116 set up for fishing with motor

Post by Skimmer » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi all - my first showroom post to share what I've done to my yak to make it the best I can make it for me. I fish in the bays and inner areas closer than 1 km to shore on the Western side of Yorkes above Pt. Vic. My mate owns a boat so I go fishing with him out further when I get a chance. The main difficulties with fishing in that part of the world is how quickly the wind conditions can change and therefore how quickly the waves come up. Stability is a major requirement because no matter what the forecast says there are times when I've been caught in rough conditions. Pleased to say that the yak handles things really well.
I note that in another post here some postees have been very anti trolling motors on yaks. I can really understand that due to the added weight and thrust that could throw the dynamics out. I've kept the weight of the battery down to a minimum and centralized it to maintain balance. The trolling motor is at the the side but the blades are dropped at an angle to be under the boat when in operation. It takes me at a speed slightly faster than my best paddling speed and keeps going for up to 5 hours which is way enough time on a yak for me in 1 sitting. I had to search far and wide for a battery that was powerful enough but not too heavy.
20150529_125541_resized.jpg
20150529_125633_resized.jpg
Tiparra At Sunset.jpg
This pic was shown on the ABC news earlier this year.
snapper haul pic.jpg
The snapper haul the day the photo above was taken

Happy to hear what you think. I love getting out to fish on my yak and fiddling around to make it work better.
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak: Hurricane Skimmer116
KgWhiting 52cm
Adelaide, SA
"It's all about the attitude"

mehi
Barfly
Kayak: A striped one and a yellow one

Re: Hurricane Skimmer 116 set up for fishing with motor

Post by mehi » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:55 pm

Looking at the last pic the yak has mojo, have fun
Number one thing guys Enjoy yourself at all costs

Cheers Dave

Dodge
Frother
Kayak: Perception Swing + Pacer

Post by Dodge » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:29 pm

Skimmer that's a nice rig, and they are good yaks, and as mehi said your yak came with mojo by the looks of things.

About 4-5 months ago put an 18lb thrust leccy on my yak and reckon it's great, used a 35Ahr deep cycle battery and still have power after 4 hours which is the present longest use, cruise at 3+ and 5+kms/h GPS reading, on low and high speed, travel mostly on low though.
cheers RICHO

Kayaks: Perception Swing 400 ..... carves Anon timber lures.
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, but on others the statue.

bertros
Legend
Kayak: Revo 13 + AI

Post by bertros » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:01 pm

Really interesting yak that i'm not overly familiar with Skimmer. When she's not under power, how does she paddle? Great haul of snaps too btw.
Yak PB's: Australian Salmon - 70cm; Bream - 40cm; Bonito - 62cm; cobia - 81cm; Estuary Perch - 32.5cm; Flathead - 57cm; Groper - 50cm; Kingfish - 108cm; Mulloway - 130cm; Snapper - 60cm; Spotted Mack - 110cm; Squid (hood) - 34cm; Tailor - 50cm; Silver Trevally - 41cm; Whiting - 39cm

Skimmer

Post by Skimmer » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:08 am

bertros wrote:Really interesting yak that i'm not overly familiar with Skimmer. When she's not under power, how does she paddle? Great haul of snaps too btw.
Bertros she is very light on the water. I've only ever paddled 2 yaks - this one and my first which was comparatively heavy, slow and difficult. The Skimmer really does skim over the water and is easy to paddle. It does get affected by wind. Being light it catches wind easily. The motor really helps in those conditions.
KgWhiting 52cm
Adelaide, SA

Skimmer

Post by Skimmer » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:15 am

Dodge wrote:Skimmer that's a nice rig, and they are good yaks, and as mehi said your yak came with mojo by the looks of things.

About 4-5 months ago put an 18lb thrust leccy on my yak and reckon it's great, used a 35Ahr deep cycle battery and still have power after 4 hours which is the present longest use, cruise at 3+ and 5+kms/h GPS reading, on low and high speed, travel mostly on low though.
Mines pretty similar in battery size and motor power. I've gone 4:30 hours at varying speeds and not run out of power which astounds me. I use the low speed when checking out the bottom for structure on the finder, or trolling for snook. Fast speed is just for coming home. I had my yak a year or so before the motor and really enjoyed it but I love having the motor. It really has been helpful. The mojo is dependent on the fish being there! Been out and caught zero a few times but never come back in wishing I hand' gone out. Always love being on the water.
KgWhiting 52cm
Adelaide, SA

Skimmer

Post by Skimmer » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:17 am

mehi wrote:Looking at the last pic the yak has mojo, have fun
Cheers - that was a good day out that one.
KgWhiting 52cm
Adelaide, SA

stealthfisha
Legend
Kayak: STEALTH PROFISHA 525

Post by stealthfisha » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:19 am

Blooded the new yak with reds.....kudos post

Skimmer

Post by Skimmer » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:41 pm

stealthfisha wrote:Blooded the new yak with reds.....kudos post
:D
KgWhiting 52cm
Adelaide, SA

Squidley
Local
Kayak: Revo 11 and Evo 430

Post by Squidley » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:25 pm

Haven't seen many (any) thermoform plastic fishing yaks besides Barracuda's; I bet that offsets the weight from the motor and battery a nice amount

Skimmer

Post by Skimmer » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:47 pm

Squidley wrote:Haven't seen many (any) thermoform plastic fishing yaks besides Barracuda's; I bet that offsets the weight from the motor and battery a nice amount
G'day Squidley I like the thermoforming plastic shell of the Skimmer because it is very tough as well as lightweight. The beam is almost 850mm and the yak is quite stable even in quite strong swell. The motor and battery have made almost no impact on its balance - some but that's more from the thrust of the motor being at the side. Once the yak is motoring in the right direction I can keep it on track by dipping the paddle in to correct it. That's a great way for me to get home. I haven't tried standing in it cos I only go where there is wave action.
Do you know what the Stealth yaks are made of? They are too long and heavy for me but I'm jealous of the catch hold and would love to see one up close.
KgWhiting 52cm
Adelaide, SA

Squidley
Local

Post by Squidley » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:47 am

Fibreglass, but at least they're not HDPE. Barracuda have some models with internal rod storage.

Skimmer

Post by Skimmer » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:52 pm

Squidley wrote:Fibreglass, but at least they're not HDPE. Barracuda have some models with internal rod storage.
Cheers - that's why they're so shiny!
KgWhiting 52cm
Adelaide, SA

Skimmer

Post by Skimmer » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:57 pm

Squidley wrote:Fibreglass, but at least they're not HDPE. Barracuda have some models with internal rod storage.
Pardon my ignorance but what is HDPE and what's wrong with it for yaks? Is fibreglass the best material for yaks? I thought it scratched easily and required lots of work to keep it in good nick? No?
KgWhiting 52cm
Adelaide, SA

Squidley
Local

Post by Squidley » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:00 am

HDPE is what most plastic yaks are made of. It's tough and you can drag it over rocks for years, but it's heavy. Fibreglass is not as tough but it's not like you can't drag it over a bit of sand.