Dace Po-Angler 14. Not a bad unit.

Show off your rigged kayak or tell us what you think of your new gear
bricks
Kayak: Stealth Supalite X

Dace Po-Angler 14. Not a bad unit.

Post by bricks » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:58 am

I've recently bought a Dace Pro-angler 14.
This Is a stop gap yak until I can get to QLD and put some hard earned bucks on one of Dennis's glass contraptions.

Cost $750 with all accessories, so this is a basic yak at best.
As with anything a cheap yak will always be a cheap yak, but I am happy to say after owning some more serious yak gear before this; I'm not too far unimpressed with the quality and build of this one.

At 14 feet long this is a fair bit of yak to manage, the local boys at seacliff always seem happy to help me load it for some reason and I'm always grateful for the hand and happy to reciprocate.
Loading it is a relatively straight forward process and I can manage it pretty easily on my own without busting a poo muscle.
The tech data puts weight at 35 - 37 kgs; my old yak was an expedition 5.5 at around 23 kgs and this doesn't feel all that much heavier.
Maybe I'm a bit more Herculean than I give myself credit for, maybe the tech data on this yak is wrong.
In any case I'd guess 30kgs is the stripped weight. Heavy enough to that I can't lift it above my head without worrying about scratching the car next to me, but light enough that one the front is up I can man over it the rest of the way without a drama.

At .75 wide, it sits flat on the water and is as stable as you would expect.
Standing and sight casting?: you probably could, but I don't fish that way on offshore water.

Good points.

The centre hatch is handy, wide enough, deep enough for a decent SA inshore bag limit.
You would get 12 whiting/ 15 squid in there no worries.
It also fits my lure box vertically which is a bonus.

It has a factory fitted bung plug to drain the hull.

5 rod holders as standard.
2 rear,
2 side (which is good for bait ups and lure changes) but most of the time I keep my knife here.
1 relocatable swivel holder which I havnt found a real use for yet.

Ample rear deck storage.

The rudder works well, but only at full lock. Anything less than that seems to be useless.
Big bonus here, the rudder is pull to drop and auto retract on release.

Adjustable foot pegs, which don't require re-setting the rudder cables if you change the foot position due to some funky cam business I can't quite figure out.

Bad points.

The front hatch straps are almost impossible to tension down tight, if you went belly up this would definately be an issue and probably require a trip back to shore to empty out.
In fact none of the hatches, except the Hobie style rear deck hatch appear to be water tight in any great degree.
Having said that, I havnt tipped this one yet - and the hull has stayed 100% dry on every trip.

The paddle keeper bungy cord on the side is set up similar to a Hobie, works well but when the paddle is in place the side rod holder is useless. I find it better to jam the paddle up under the front bungy cord stealth style and kick it off to the side. This leaves the deck clear and centre hatch accessible.

The foot pegs are too high, and the rudder controls higher than this again. Using the rudder is a bit of a chore, and leg cramps result from too much reliance thereon. The only saving grace with this is the rudder appears by luck or by design to return to centre if feet are removed. This allows the rudder to act as a keel, meaning feet can be dropped to a more natural position when paddling in a straight line.
It's enough of a problem that if an easy fix presented itself I'd make a change to drop the foot pegs and rudder controls, unfortunately it is one piece molded plastic and I don't think it is possible.

The cart that came with the yak is almost useless on anything but flat concrete and collapses when dragged on sand. With a few well placed rope and tags tied on I think I can fix it, but to be honest I'll probably just cut it apart and turn it into a scupper mount trolley.

The paddle, it isn't really bad, it isn't really good. It works, but it gets hot being aluminum and plastic.
When I'd does get hot, dunking it in the water cools it pretty quickly.
It is what it is for a cheap paddle, and it does its job pretty well considering.
I'd like a bit more catch to move more water.

Overall, not a bad yak.

It isn't fast, it isn't slow. Tracks well and handles inshore beach work without a drama.
I wouldn't use it in a tiny backwater, and I wouldn't trust it out wide.

It is what it is, and does what it says on the box.

One thing it doesn't do, and I wish it would s catch more squid for me.
Got up at sparrows this morning for a solo squid and a beautiful glass off.

Not bad for the money I paid.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FishnDive
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth PF525_Fisha 460_Toura 17_Pinnacle Elite

Re: Dace Po-Angler 14. Not a bad unit.

Post by FishnDive » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:25 am

You could carve a wooden or foam insert to sit in the footwell under the rudder controls. That will lift your heel up and the controls won't seem as high. Might help with the comfort.
Eoin (Owen)

lewie
Kayak: Revolution 13

Post by lewie » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:02 pm

Seem to be good value for money. A mate of mine has one and is happy with it.

bricks
Kayak: Stealth Supalite X

Post by bricks » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:01 pm

FishnDive wrote:You could carve a wooden or foam insert to sit in the footwell under the rudder controls. That will lift your heel up and the controls won't seem as high. Might help with the comfort.
I might give that a try.