Kaskazi love!

Show off your rigged kayak or tell us what you think of your new gear
manta
Kayak: Kaskazi Dorado

Kaskazi love!

Post by manta » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:49 pm

I recently found my dream fishing Kayak (or very close) in a Kazkasi Dorado. As an ex pro fisherman from the Channel Islands ( 12 meter tides wild Atlantic and very many reefs, currents and overfalls) I really do appreciate a good sea worthy ocean going hull.

I was hoping to find a fishing yak based on something like the awesome expedition sea kayak hulls from Mirage ( Many Bass straight crossings and Antarctic expeditions undertaken in them) then I discovered that Kaskazi are primarily a manufacturer of ocean capable Sea - expedition and touring Kayaks, the Dorado fishing Yak is a spin off of this expertise and has the sea going rough water capability I have been looking for.

Not as fast as a lean Stealth speed machine but only by about a knot at the top end. The Kaskazi comes into it's own as a very comfortable and stable yak in even the roughest of conditions. As such it is a sustainable paddling machine that will go on and on and on without tiring out the paddler. I've had a couple of days out off Fidos in a fair bit of chop for up to 8 hours at a time with no discomfort whatsoever in the back and bum. As these yaks are built on a hull designed for sustained distance paddling inshore and on the open ocean this comes as no surprise. It is a very quite yak to paddle with no hull slap even in rough water.

Due to the excellent stability they would be great for anyone who gets sea sick.

In the surf it's as expected, punches out no problem much the same as any other yak. On returning if you paddle your nuts off and keep it out in front of the breaking wave as is the preferred method for some popular hulls she will go in a straight line to the beach. If you paddle for a wave in an attempt to ride along it on the face (my favourite spot on a wave!) she will tend to turn up the face and go out over the lip which is ok as you are then facing out to sea ready to set up for another.

If the wave breaks as your riding the face and It's steep you may get chucked out but if not to steep it's easy to do a bracing stroke, remain upright and get pushed sideways by the white water into the beach or if the wave ends in a gutter turn and go back out to catch another wave.

The retracting rudder is awesome as you just tug on a plastic lugg threaded onto a cord to raise it out of the water and onto the rear deck, the opposite when launching, this is brilliant as you do not need to worry about damaging your rudder in any situation, also handy if you get a line caught as you just flip the rudder up and the line comes clear.

The sea kayak hull has a very defined secondary stability, you can lean it over (edge the yak ) into this secondary stability to speed turns without any danger of flipping over.

Once you get used to exactly where this secondary stability comes in you can feel it almost like a force field this gives you heaps of control, much more than with yaks that don't like to edge and tend to flip over without warning.

I have not managed to Pearl (nose dive) the Kaskazi on a wave yet, something I really appreciate as this was a constant worry with my previous yak.

The seat is very low into the hull much like a Sea Kayak giving great stability, I feel very secure when out on rough water as you definitely sit in this boat even though it is a sit on.

If there is a downside it's that with the seat being low it's harder to get into and out of than say a Stealth, though I manage ok and am definitely not as agile as I used to be, so for a younger person it would not be a problem.

Previous Yaks
Sit In Training kayak converted for fishing South Australia 2000.
Prowler elite Whitsundays.
Emotion edge Gold coast
Ocean Kayak Malibu II Gold coast
Australis Salmander Sea Kayak Gold coast
Viking Esprit Gold Coast
Wave Master Surf Ski Gold Coast
Stealth Super lite x Gold coast
Stealth Splash Gold coast
Kaskazi Dorado Gold coast

JamieD
Local
Kayak: Stealth

Re: Kaskazi love!

Post by JamieD » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:20 am

Don't tell me , your bringing a container over from safa land and your gunna be selling them out of your garage ? :lol:

Nice , boat mate hope she brings you plenty of fish and good times :)

jbone
Barfly
Kayak: GT470 + EVO 495

Post by jbone » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:23 pm

Pics or it didn't happen.

yaqdoq
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth

Post by yaqdoq » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:50 pm

Show us the colours and mods and enjoy your ride .

stealthfisha
Legend
Kayak: STEALTH PROFISHA 525

Post by stealthfisha » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:57 am

No hull slap...now thats a good point...im sick of it

crag
Kayak: kaskazi dorado11 Epic V7 others

Post by crag » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:42 pm

have to agree with all that manta, love mine as well.

Neumo
Kayak: Viking Tempo

Post by Neumo » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi Manta
Is it possible to give you a call about your Dorado just to pick your brains about afew things?
Cheers

Dodge
Frother
Kayak: Perception Swing + Pacer

Post by Dodge » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:05 pm

Neumo wrote:Hi Manta
Is it possible to give you a call about your Dorado just to pick your brains about afew things?
Cheers
mate send him a PM, manta has not visited the site since early October [if you click on his name] so may not read your reply
cheers RICHO

Kayaks: Perception Swing 400 ..... carves Anon timber lures.
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, but on others the statue.

Neumo
Kayak: Viking Tempo

Post by Neumo » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:10 pm

Ta for that Richo
Wil do
Cheers