STEALTHFISHA's EVO 495 & PROFISHA 525

Show off your rigged kayak or tell us what you think of your new gear
mehi
Barfly
Kayak: A striped one and a yellow one

Re: STEALTHFISHA's EVO 495

Post by mehi » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:28 am

Indiedog wrote:
stealthfisha wrote:Are you still using that system?
The old site? :D No.
The solar panel on multi-day trips? I wish. I'll be running an experiment to see how thick the dust can get before the panel stops working.

I think we all run into a dust(lack of use)build up problem at one time or another :)
Number one thing guys Enjoy yourself at all costs

Cheers Dave

Indiedog
Legend
Kayak: PF475 BFS

Post by Indiedog » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:59 pm

Baggs, below is a direct copy from my Evo build thread on the old site. I'll edit and add the pictures if I don't get them all in now.

Solar Panel Install

This is a luxury, no doubt about it, but as I do go on a few multi day trips each year I put the capacity of my batteries to the test. So for those occasions I splashed out and got a small solar panel. Apart from using it for topping up the battery I hope to use it to charge the mobile phone and possibly other small electronic devices.

The panel I got is the rollable 5 watt panel made by PowerFilm and I chose this largely because of its physical size as it needed to fit on the deck of the yak in a suitable location. The panel is rated to produce 300mA when conditions are optimal. The sounder I run is quoted to use 250mA but I think it’s more like 300mA so theoretically the solar panel will feed to the battery what the sounder is taking from it, making it possible to stay out for several days without needing a charge.

The panel was purchased through Peter Kennedy Yachting. Derek (Decay) made the purchase and kindly tacked mine onto his order. As well as the panel I also got a couple of extension cords plus a cigarette lighter attachment. Not sure how much Derek subsidized the freight but the package wasn’t much over $100 from memory.

I actually bought this thing before I got the Evo with the intention of fitting it on the back deck of the BFS. For the Evo I’ve chosen the front deck as there’s not enough room on the back due to the shape of the hull being more triangular. To attach it to the deck I feed the back end under the bungy that goes to the rudder pedals and at the front I have tied on some cord which I can feed through the deck bungy holders (where I removed the front bungy). This holds it all flat and neat and there’s nothing close by to cast shadows over it.

[attachment=7]P1000041.JPG[/attachment]
Sits neatly on the front deck.

[attachment=6]P1000039.JPG[/attachment]
Front tied on with black cord.

[attachment=5]P1000040.JPG[/attachment]
Back of panel under pedal bungy.

I also had to sort out was how to get the cable from the panel to the battery. In thinking about the electrics, the front deck actually works well with the cable duct I’ve installed between the rod chute and the day hatch. I ended up cutting down one of the extension cords and feeding it through the duct into the day hatch where the battery is located. I then cut the cord to length and then soldered some spade connections on. The cable is held in place in the rod chute with the P clips beside the sounder cables and the whole thing sits nice and neat.

[attachment=4]P1000034.JPG[/attachment]
Solar power cable sits inside rod chute when not in use.

The plug end of the cord passes out under the front of the main hatch and plugs into the panel when in use. When the panel isn’t being used I tuck the cable back inside the hatch. The waterproof plugs used on the panels are available from Jaycar and Derek told me he’d purchased one and filled the ends with silicone so they could be used to seal off the terminals when not in use. I’ve copied this (Thanks Derek) and now the terminals are totally protected from moisture when not in use and hanging inside the rod chute.

[attachment=3]P1000036.JPG[/attachment]
Spare plug with end filled with silicone to protect connections when not being used.

On the battery I’ve extended the terminals and split them so I’ve got connections available for both the sounder and the solar panel. The way I’ve done this the connections are up high and tucked up under the deck so no water should get to them when the hatch lid comes off out on the water.

[attachment=2]P1000048.JPG[/attachment]
Extended terminals to 2.2Ah battery.

[attachment=1]P1000046.JPG[/attachment]
Battery with extended terminals plugged into both sounder and solar cables.

I’m going to make up some connections to the solar panel's cigarette lighter attachment so that I can plug it between the battery and solar panel to use the standard 12V phone charger whilst on the water. On the recent 4 day trip down to Jumpinpin I found the yak parking spot at the campsite too shady to get the panel to charge the phone by itself so the plan now is to plug everything in and charge the phone while I’m on the water.

[attachment=0]P1000038.JPG[/attachment]
Finished product.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I caught a hairtail. Weird looking phucker.

http://www.arcoeco.com.au

stealthfisha
Legend
Kayak: STEALTH PROFISHA 525

Post by stealthfisha » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:16 pm

Simply awesome.....i really am stoked and humbled you have loaded this up.....kudos

Thumbs up....this is exactly what i call a true forum...ideas given freely to improve the sport etc

Indiedog
Legend

Post by Indiedog » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:01 am

Baggs, no problem at all. I actually couldn't find the original posts for a bit and thought I must not have copied them. It wasn't that painful to copy once found.

stealthfisha
Legend

Post by stealthfisha » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:25 am

F15-300 Powerfilm 5W Folding Solar Panel Charger

$145.10 from Sails Marine

106 seller reviews
F15-300 Powerfilm 5W Folding Solar Panel Charger

price has gone a small amount due to the doller I reckon..unless you got mates rates....

will start looking at this for FEB 3 day trip that has been planned in the other thread...thanks Indie....

stealthfisha
Legend

Post by stealthfisha » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:06 pm

TWIN DOWNRIGGERS / RODHOLDERS ADDED

thought id throw this together as i was very frustrated last kingfish trip....anyone with downriggers was getting the fish...so this season ill eliminate any doubt...

I can run two downriggers and wind them no probs...and or run two rodholders up front...or a combo of the two systems

The rodholders and downriggers can be twist and removed in seconds and placed inside for surf launches etc

EDIT: I WILL NOT BE USING THESE DOWNRIGGERS TOGETHER AFTER IT WAS POINTED OUT TO ME I WAS A RAVING DICKHEAD....THANKS GUYS :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stealthfisha on Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jordo
Local
Kayak: Kaskazi dorado II

Post by Jordo » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:51 pm

Looks like i've been a bad influence on you.... haha
looking good mate!
ImageImage

bricks
Kayak: Stealth Supalite X

Post by bricks » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:22 pm

Nice idea stealth..

fsck
Kayak: Stealth Splash 470 and Profisha 475

Post by fsck » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:17 pm

stealthfisha wrote:TWIN DOWNRIGGERS / RODHOLDERS ADDED
EDIT: I WILL NOT BE USING THESE DOWNRIGGERS TOGETHER AFTER IT WAS POINTED OUT TO ME I WAS A RAVING DICKHEAD....THANKS GUYS :D
ha! :D

Actually, jovialities aside, was going to tap your brains re the sounder setup at some point.

FishnDive
Barfly
Kayak: Stealth PF525_Fisha 460_Toura 17_Pinnacle Elite

Post by FishnDive » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:53 pm

You could add an eco rod holder to the second mount to hold the down rigged rod and run it out over the rigger. It would help keep the line out of your paddle stroke.
Eoin (Owen)

stealthfisha
Legend

Re: STEALTHFISHA's EVO 495 & PROFISHA 525

Post by stealthfisha » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:58 pm

Recently added and removed stealths into the flock
Chased tuna three times and covered around 85klm....Its fast and stable...at a guess she is about 1/2kph less efficient against the 575 ...we paddle together now for years so this guess is pretty much bang on

Been in some nasty seas with her and its agreed between Minny and Jordo that she is indeed a brilliant package.

enough talking...

stealthfisha
Legend

Post by stealthfisha » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:59 pm

STEALTH FLUSH MOUNT HATCH & Garmin 4DV Install

This was easy after i fabricated my own bracket to support the head unit
stainless hardware and SIKAFLEX ...it aint movin...New flush mount hatch comes with a Hook & Loop (velcro) splash guard....so it takes around 30 seconds to switch between a surf session flat lid and the fishing session flush mounted lid

Must do upgrade i reckon
Last edited by stealthfisha on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

stealthfisha
Legend

Post by stealthfisha » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:11 pm

Garmin 4DV Cable Fix
Last edited by stealthfisha on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

stealthfisha
Legend

Post by stealthfisha » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:12 pm

Stealth Twist Hatch

This was just the same as the EVO fitout but it came with a very good seal
SIKAFLEX and this sucker is not coming off
Sweet looking and as im used to it ...i reckon this is a must do MOD

first pic is of the twist hatch..not a fan myself
i think all profishas now come with the new hatch
Last edited by stealthfisha on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indiedog
Legend

Post by Indiedog » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:24 pm

Shit photos.