Long lining from shore in NZ

This is the main discussion forum for all general topics relating to kayaking or fishing.
geoffw
Frother
Kayak: outback

Long lining from shore in NZ

Post by geoffw » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:51 am

I'm traveling in New Zealand at the moment and whilst taking a stroll along the coast of Wellington came across a bloke fishing. He was sitting on a contraption which looked a bit like a hand truck but with a large motorised drum.
I got taking to him and he explained the setup. A remote controlled torpedo with a couple of hundred meters of line attached and hanging from this were 23 hooks and two sinkers.
He even brought it in for a closer look. Better still he told me his wife bought it for his birthday!
20180416_083832.jpeg
20180416_083858.jpeg
He was chasing snapper and a couple of other species that I didn't recognize.
Anyone heard or seen of these in OZ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fish' n fun

Junglefisher
Local
Kayak: Finn Revo Outfitter Gizmo Xpress Pelican Tarpon Tr

Re: Long lining from shore in NZ

Post by Junglefisher » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:14 am

In the old Footrot Flats comics it was always a rubber tube with a sail on it or the old dog who would paddle the line out.
Winter is coming.

aussieDave
Barfly
Kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by aussieDave » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:10 am

Hi Geoff,

That certainly is odd, I'm not sure rec fishers should be allowed to use long lines, not very sporting in my opinion.

You've picked the wrong time to go OS mate, the local flanno's have been good lately.

Dave
89.5cm. Snapper, 45cm. Salmon (Bream rod, 6lb line), 80cm. Mulloway, 10kg Southern Bluefin Tuna

Fishane
Frother
Kayak: PA14 AI and Quest

Post by Fishane » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:01 pm

It's illegal for rec anglers here and probably most other areas around Australia.

geoffw
Frother

Post by geoffw » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:06 pm

aussieDave wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:10 am
Hi Geoff,

That certainly is odd, I'm not sure rec fishers should be allowed to use long lines, not very sporting in my opinion.

You've picked the wrong time to go OS mate, the local flanno's have been good lately.

Dave
Flanno being good...... bugger
Fish' n fun

Bdahm
Kayak: Hobie Quest

Post by Bdahm » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:21 pm

Definitely not legal in oz - can only get away with that where you have 20x more sheep than people

geoffw
Frother

Post by geoffw » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:52 pm

Yes I was amazed at the sight and definitely did not think of it as legal in OZ but kiwis are a rare bunch (in a very good way) anyway.
Fish' n fun

davida
Kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by davida » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:48 pm

When we were in the North Island a few years ago we got talking to a retired farmer who fished with one of these off the west coast. Used it to catch snapper.
Also talked to a guy on the beach at Tauranga who paddled a kayak out in amazing conditions about 500m from shore with a massive collection of baited hooks on board attached to a very large hand winch on the beach. They would leave the line out for several hours and then (hopefully) wind in a catch from the beach.
Tauranga03w.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.