whats been keeping me off the water...

This is the main discussion forum for all general topics relating to kayaking or fishing.
john316

whats been keeping me off the water...

Post by john316 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:27 pm

After the past four years of working and running the little farm I am just beginning to get the sense that I am going to be able to get the kayaks wet again. There is a lot to be done after too long a hiatus - get the kayaks out and make sure that all is working and running smoothly, clean and grease all the rods and reels, check the kayak trailer and make sure it is good to go and go through the lures and see what needs to be updated.

Following my retirement I started on the list of chores around the farm that had been so badly neglected and for the first couple of months it felt like I was not even making a dent in what needed to be done but now I am beginning to see a few things starting to take shape.

Things like the greenhouse - the bought one failed catastrophically in a big blow so I set about building a new one from scratch. Turned out to be less expensive that the bought one and hopefully it will last longer too. There was also the creation of defined garden beds as growing our own fruit and veg is super important to us. Previously the beds were just areas that had been dug over but the south coast kikuyu kept on invading and slowing down production.
IMGP0921 (Medium).JPG

Even small things like the fire-pit that had been on the drawing board for a couple of years is now set up and waiting for a few lunchtime BBQs...
IMGP0922 (Medium).JPG

There is also the one thing that is truly not needed when you are breeding meat sheep... the dreaded pet lamb supplied by a ewe that refused to learn to count to 2... Cute as a button but it becomes difficult to convert him into lamb chops later on.
IMGP0920 (Medium).JPG

Into the mix there are also those things that just have to be done immediately owing to the pressures of circumstance, things like the night a fox broke through the outer perimeter of the orchard/chook run and decimated my rare breed poultry. That needed a new hen house to be built very quickly although I would rather have tackled that issue by eradicating the attacker - the down side of gun laws, in this instance keeping the fox safe...
IMGP0923 (Medium).JPG

Hopefully there will be a follow up soon which will contain a few fishy photos instead of excuses...

Cheers
john
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bertros
Legend
Kayak: Revo 13 + AI

Re: whats been keeping me off the water...

Post by bertros » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:53 pm

So good to see how far it's come John.. Quite an evolution from the old pics:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=2076&p=32891
Yak PB's: Australian Salmon - 70cm; Bream - 40cm; Bonito - 51cm; Estuary Perch - 32.5cm; Flathead - 57cm; Groper - 50cm; Kingfish - 108cm; Snapper - 60cm; Spotted Mack - 110cm; Squid (hood) - 34cm; Tailor - 50cm; Silver Trevally - 41cm; Whiting - 39cm

Dodge
Frother
Kayak: Perception Swing + Pacer

Post by Dodge » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:35 pm

john316 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Cute as a button but it becomes difficult to convert him into lamb chops later on.
Can relate to this comment John.

A mate had 5 acre hobby farm and bought and raised a few poddy cattle to about 12 months / or certain size then knocked them over for the table.

We were there enjoying a steak BBQ one time and my wife said the steak was really nice, he said "yes that is Harold you are eating had good meat'.

My wife nearly choked and stopped chewing as she remembered hand feeding Harold the calf as a youngster.

She was the only one affected by sentiment, rest of us carried on enjoying the feed as before.

You have certainly created a nice retirement location, congrats on the result.
cheers RICHO

Kayaks: Perception Swing 400 ..... carves Anon timber lures.
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, but on others the statue.

BBY
Frother
Location: Half way up the pointy bit, where it goes "doonk" and in a bit.
Kayak:

Post by BBY » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:56 pm

Living the dream, and that's not sarcasm. Well done, I've lived on the land my whole life and still a tad jealous!

zed
Frother
Kayak: OK P13

Post by zed » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:26 am

Dodge wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:35 pm
john316 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Cute as a button but it becomes difficult to convert him into lamb chops later on.
Can relate to this comment John.

A mate had 5 acre hobby farm and bought and raised a few poddy cattle to about 12 months / or certain size then knocked them over for the table.

We were there enjoying a steak BBQ one time and my wife said the steak was really nice, he said "yes that is Harold you are eating had good meat'.

My wife nearly choked and stopped chewing as she remembered hand feeding Harold the calf as a youngster.

She was the only one affected by sentiment, rest of us carried on enjoying the feed as before.

You have certainly created a nice retirement location, congrats on the result.
Reminds me...

An old joke that didnt make it over from the old joint:

A man, while driving a country road, suddenly had serious car problems and crept to the edge of the road. After a few minutes assessing the problem he struck out toward a nearby farmhouse.
When he entered the farmyard, he was met by a pig. While he was thinking how odd it was to be met by a pig, he noticed the pig had only 3 legs.

That really got the man thinking, but he remembered his car and said outloud to the pig, "Oh, don't 'spose you could help with a phone?"
The pig looked up at the man and ambled toward the farmhouse, only stopping to see if the man was following. Once at the door, a farmer came out.
The man explained his problem and asked to use a phone. After arranging a wrecker to take care of his car, he got on with the question he was dying to ask, "So, what's the story with this pig, and why does it have only 3 legs?"

"Oh, that's the smartest pig in the world. One time, the horses knocked over a lantern and started the barn on fire, and this pig got into the house and woke us up. Another time, uncle Jed got his hand caught in the combine out in the south 40, and the pig ran all the way back to the farmhouse to get help. Another time Ma had some heart problems, and that pig ran all the way out to me and carried on so, I had to follow him back to the house. Got the Mrs to the hospital just in time."

"That's amazing! I've never heard of such a smart animal, much less a pig. But you haven't told me how he lost his leg."
"Well with a pig that great, you don't eat it all at once."
"Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators."
💩

zed
Frother
Kayak: OK P13

Post by zed » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:30 am

And thats a nice patch of earth there to grow the cucumber for the sauce for the lamb [leg]. Thanks John.
"Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators."
💩

john316

Post by john316 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:24 pm

this is almost like old times... there's replies...

Dodge, there might be a way around this one as the bloke over the road needs a ram and as the little fellow is a pure bred Suffolk it just might end up as the lord of the sheep paddock over there instead of the BBQ dinner...

BBY, from my time as a grazier I can attest to the truth that the little place is easier as there is no pressing need to be meeting deadlines or payments. This time its more about a roof, a pleasant surrounding and being able to go out to the garden and pick some vegies for dinner. I do not miss having to try to keep the banks happy...

Zed, old joke - still funny... and you are correct, the soil here is beautiful although the production dropped when we first brought livestock onto the place. They didn't do any harm to the garden, I just didn't have the time time to put in and the animals welfare needed all the time I had.

cheers - they tell me its a weekend now, so I will get up in the morning and work around the place just like I do for the other 6 Saturdays. I like being retired... :D :D :D

Anselmo
Legend
Location: Dublin Ireland = formerly Bris-Vegas. #5568@ now #7
Kayak: 1995 Perception Minnow

Post by Anselmo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:20 pm

Nice John
you've got that going on the right track now
looking forward to more pics in the future