it mightn't be fishing, but...

This is the main discussion forum for all general topics relating to kayaking or fishing.
john316

it mightn't be fishing, but...

Post by john316 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:02 pm

one of the simple pleasures...

while working in the garden this morning I lit a small fire in the new fire pit and let it burn down to a good bed of coals and had our first meal cooked in the garden area over an open fire... Very simple, a tomato cut in half, a couple of rashers of bacon and a brace of eggs in the big old cast iron camping fry pan mopped up with a couple of pieces of pull-a-part toasted over the embers. May not be cordon bleu cooking but it is great comfort food and highly satisfying that the fire pit works so well.

An indigenous mate once told me I made a great black-fellows fire - small enough to get close to and big enough to cook on... this one is going to get a workout over the next few years me-thinks.

Biggest problem was getting back to work rather than taking a nana nap and sleeping it off.

cheers
John

Dodge
Frother
Kayak: Perception Swing + Pacer

Re: it mightn't be fishing, but...

Post by Dodge » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:30 pm

john316 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:02 pm

Biggest problem was getting back to work rather than taking a nana nap and sleeping it off.
Being one who has had 14 years practice at retirement, can I offer advice to you as a new retiree.

Mornings are for work, fishing, working with the veggies etc.

But an afternoon nap after a cook up sounds ideal and where you just veg out.

When my dad retired he worked around home gardning etc, busy just like his working years, all day from breakfast to late arvo, only changed when I pointed out he was now retired, and hopefully had many years to do chores.

He changed, chores in morning only, and arvo was nap or play bowls a couple of days each week for another 9 years before his death.
cheers RICHO

Kayaks: Perception Swing 400 ..... carves Anon timber lures.
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, but on others the statue.

zed
Frother
Kayak: OK P13

Re: it mightn't be fishing, but...

Post by zed » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:50 am

My dads developed a pattern to double his retired productivity. He rises @ 0300-0400 putters around till dawn then fishes(or errands but nah) until noonish. He cleans up eats lunch then takes a nap. After a healthy siesta he brews coffee again and starts part II and maybe hits a local for some cold longneck lager (or errands but nah) and some dinner then the next nap begins 2100 or so. 1 day split into 2.
"Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators."
💩