Kayak for Port Phillip Bay

This is the main discussion forum for all general topics relating to kayaking or fishing.
FlynnB
Kayak: I am looking for one to buy

Kayak for Port Phillip Bay

Post by FlynnB » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:47 am

Hey guys
I’m from Geelong and I’m looking for a good kayak for fishing Port Phillip Bay. My budget is around $1000. I will mostly be using it for fishing flathead but I want something sturdy enough to take bigger targets if need be.
Thanks guys! Please answer :D

cheaterparts
Local
Kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 OK Prowler 4-3

Re: Kayak for Port Phillip Bay

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:05 pm

FlynnB wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:47 am
Hey guys
I’m from Geelong and I’m looking for a good kayak for fishing Port Phillip Bay. My budget is around $1000. I will mostly be using it for fishing flathead but I want something sturdy enough to take bigger targets if need be.
it's always hard to pick a kayak for someone else however if you are looking at fishing the bay look for something at least 3.6 meters long and 4 meters would be better
under 3.6 meter become slow and hard to paddle many of the 3 meter and under are down right dangerous in all but perfect conditions
one thing the bay can do is catch you out and the weather mans guess is not always correct
Most of us have been caught out in weather that come on early or the forecast was NQR
having a kayak that has good tracking and a bit of speed helps get back when things go pear shaped

look at the sums say you have a plastic 4 meter fishing kayak that will have a top cruising speed around 5 - 6kph in good conditions or about 20 + min to do a close in 2 km from the beach - a 3 meter kayak will do about 3 - 4 so that same trip will take 30 + min on a good day
now the weather turns a bit bigger sees or head wind will slow both it may half your speed or more so on a 4 meter boat your 20 min trip turned into 40 min and the 3 meter boat may be calling the coast guard for help with a rescue - and this is just 2 km after a very short time expect to do many more ks - a normal trip from me these days is about 15 km return and that could be a 30 km paddle day chasing fish so if you get addicted to kayak fishing that where you will be in the future

now for your grand of hard earned cash there are quite a few options mostly second hand and a few of the better yaks from China
I just scanned Gumtree and there were 2 Ocean Kayaks Prowler 4.1 s both under a 1000
Second hand may come with a paddle rod holders or even a sounder this all helps get on the water cheaply

hope that is some help

franko
Kayak: Stealth

Post by franko » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:45 pm

Great advice !!!
Frank
Stealth is the key to being sneaky

franko
Kayak: Stealth

Post by franko » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:17 pm

FlynnB wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:47 am
Hey guys

Flynn, I am looking at upgrading my Stealth to a profisha. If your keen on a great glass yak throw me a text or pm.
Frank
Stealth is the key to being sneaky